Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trader Joe's, Aldi and Lidl Food Stores in the USA

Trader Joe's, Aldi and Lidl Food Stores in the USA

Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trader Joe's, Aldi and Lidl Food Stores in the USA

Originally Posted by tonrob
They're not posh enough to have sprouts...
when you refer to sprouts, are you talking about brussels sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, bean sprouts, or all of the above?
https://www.google.com/search?q=spro...h=774#imgdii=_
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:29 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
when you refer to sprouts, are you talking about brussels sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, bean sprouts, or all of the above?
Blasphemer!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:29 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

After 6 years on this site together do you not know me at all?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:34 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tonrob;11025622]They're not posh enough to have sprouts...[/QUOT

Fairways has great Sprouts. I think the store is only in New York or New Jersey. I buy them already roasted with some pancetta.They are $4.99 a pound and they are delicious!

Last edited by penguinbar; Dec 9th 2013 at 7:20 pm. Reason: typo
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

After 6 years on this site together do you not know me at all?
Well, as I just posted in another thread, I'm a relative newcomer to the idea of eating veggies so when you have been talking about sprouts all these years, I just tuned it out! I do recall you posting pics of brussels sprouts, so I guess that's a given, so what about the 'other' types - bean, alfalfa, etc ...?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 7:19 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

...what about the 'other' types - bean, alfalfa, etc ...?
They are but rubbish pretenders to the great sprout name...
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aldis is really good for basics and some of their house brand items are just as good as the national brands. When I first started shopping there the house wine "Winking Owl" was $1.99 and was very good as an everyday table wine. It's still good but now it's $2.99!
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:55 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Aldi tonight. One dozen eggs for $1.35. Cheaper than Costco. I got my husband Choceuer Chocolate bars . They're from Austria and are really delicious. $1.49 for a large bar (or 5!)
Old Dec 11th 2013, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aldi stores should not be dirty or distasteful and if I found one I would call the health dept. However, you have to remember this is one of the few food stores that Walmart fears. They sell basic foods at very low prices and if they don't have shelves and will not take credit cards,well, that's the price you pay. Or not, there are plenty of other food markets, this one just does not happen to be Harrod's Food Hall. They do take debit cards and cash of course but it would be my guess that they take a lot of business in WIC cards.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by jopavi73
Aldi stores should not be dirty or distasteful and if I found one I would call the health dept. However, you have to remember this is one of the few food stores that Walmart fears. They sell basic foods at very low prices and if they don't have shelves and will not take credit cards,well, that's the price you pay. Or not, there are plenty of other food markets, this one just does not happen to be Harrod's Food Hall. They do take debit cards and cash of course but it would be my guess that they take a lot of business in WIC cards.
The Aldi that I go to is in Spanish Harlem. The area is actually becoming very gentrified and the Aldi is very clean. My only issue with them is that they never seem to have more than two cashiers on at a time . Tonight they only had one. I would say at least 75% of the customers here pay with a benefit cards. I don't think any Aldi takes credit cards, only debit or cash. I find the store very neat , clean and the shelves are well organised.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:20 pm
Septic Sprout

Just discovered they're opening a second Aldi near us, so quite pleased about that. Most of the supermarket chains around here seem to have inflated prices, and the independent fruit and veg places are mostly of very poor quality, so we value the choice that Aldi adds to the local area.

Still have to trek 20 miles to WholeFoods for decent sprouts though...
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:26 pm

Just discovered they're opening a second Aldi near us, so quite pleased about that. Most of the supermarket chains around here seem to have inflated prices, and the independent fruit and veg places are mostly of very poor quality, so we value the choice that Aldi adds to the local area.

Still have to trek 20 miles to WholeFoods for decent sprouts though...
I agree with you about the prices in Supermarket chains. Food Emporium is so ridiculous it's not even funny. I stopped by one on the way home from a friend a few weeks ago and they wanted $6.99 for a loaf of bread. I am lucky that I have a Fairways by me. It's not cheap but the prices are pretty reasonable. The fruit vendors will be gone for the winter soon unfortunately. They get the fruit from the farmers markets and it's good quality and reasonable. I think the quality of fruit in most supermarkets just isn't that great.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:29 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I think the quality of fruit in most supermarkets just isn't that great.
Totally agree with this.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
... I think the quality of fruit in most supermarkets just isn't that great.
That goes for veg to...especially when it's out of season and/or has travelled further than NJ, for us.

Doesn't help that most grocery stores insist on that stupid misting of water over everything. Which is fine if you're in early and get the stuff at the top of the pile, but it's all gone a bit minging if you go in later in the day and get what's at the bottom.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:50 pm

Really, the only sensible place to buy food is from outlets such as Wendys, KFC and Pizza Planet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.