Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

toilet, bathroom, restroom........

toilet, bathroom, restroom........

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:44 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: toilet, bathroom, restroom........

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
It's also the way you get UTIs ladies, at least if you do it a few too many times!
Okay...With that statement, I'm beginning to think this has officially become a chick thread.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:45 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I would ask "Where is the ladies' room" If its a man asking, it would be "Where is the men's room"
I ask for the ladies or the bathroom.. Never use restroom, I don't like the sound of it and I find it hard to pronounce..
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:48 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
lol, when i was in America i asked someone where the toilet was!!!! I got a very strange look and she said 'toilet whats one of them?"
I was like "you're kidding me, right?"
So i said i need to go for a wee!!! Ah, restroom she said

Jeez, we got there in the end, but a toilet is a toilet, not a room where you rest.
At least in OZ they know what a toilet is.
I think they understand but find it rude toilet sounds like s***ter or similar to the refined ears of our American brothers..
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Yeah, that's what we ladies want to squeeze with our PC muscles, lol. Toothpaste. What a waste.
Not if your bloke is standing 20 yards away with his mouth wide open, lol!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:00 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Using the word "toilet" to describe anything other than the actual porcelain goddess herself is considered crass, rude, offensive, and a lot of other mean, nasty words that are listed in that section of the thesaurus. You will get funny looks if you use it as a euphemism for the room in which the toilet is located.

Restroom = public, bathroom = private. Despite the names, resting in the restroom is not recommended, and using the bath in a casual acquaintance's bathroom will most likely not be appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Using the word "toilet" to describe anything other than the actual porcelain goddess herself is considered crass, rude, offensive, and a lot of other mean, nasty words that are listed in that section of the thesaurus. You will get funny looks if you use it as a euphemism for the room in which the toilet is located.

Restroom = public, bathroom = private. Despite the names, resting in the restroom is not recommended, and using the bath in a casual acquaintance's bathroom will most likely not be appreciated.
How about Water Closet?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:09 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
How about Water Closet?
WC is more European than American. Americans tend not to use the term at all.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

WC is more European than American. Americans tend not to use the term at all.
ohh. With it being "closet" I thought they might have done. How about doing a fat b*stard from Austin Powers? "Where's ya sh*tter? Ah've got a turtle heid pokin' oot"
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mellybrown
ok what is the correct termage (i like this word...) for going to the loo!!!

When is it a bathroom and when is it a restroom...and why the hell cant i say im going to the toilet!!!!
Hi:

The "loo" isn't really used here, but it will mark you as, shall we say, British.

To my mind, any of the three would be just fine. No one will hit you, laugh at you or whatever. However, toilet is more commonly used for the actual appliance. Sometimes, a simple "Excuse me, I need to go ...." and you will get directions.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

To further our cross cultural understanding and protect you all in case of accidental tourism, you should know that once you cross the northern border, it will be the washroom.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:58 am
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Emma M
ohh. With it being "closet" I thought they might have done. How about doing a fat b*stard from Austin Powers? "Where's ya sh*tter? Ah've got a turtle heid pokin' oot"
I usually find that announcing (loudly), "I NEED TO TAKE A DUMP.. NOW! SHOW ME WHERE I CAN FIND THE HEAD!" will be regarded warmly. Try this in a professional setting, everyone will appreciate it.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:59 am
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by meauxna
To further our cross cultural understanding and protect you all in case of accidental tourism, you should know that once you cross the northern border, it will be the washroom.
I believe that's pronounced "warshroom."

However, unlike the restroom, where you can't rest, or the bathroom, where you can't bathe, you are actually encouraged to wash (up) in the washroom, warshroom or whatever it's called. Those damn Canadians always have to find a way to be different.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that's pronounced "warshroom."
That is so funny, I was just coming back to add about the pronunciation!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:19 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I usually find that announcing (loudly), "I NEED TO TAKE A DUMP.. NOW! SHOW ME WHERE I CAN FIND THE HEAD!" will be regarded warmly. Try this in a professional setting, everyone will appreciate it.
Hi:

Are you a Squid or a Jarhead perchance. The Army used the term "dump"or "piss" but it was in the "john."
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:39 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Are you a Squid or a Jarhead perchance. The Army used the term "dump"or "piss" but it was in the "john."
And not the latrine??? I've heard that quite often although I use the term head myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.