Toddlers

Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toddlers

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Whether my kid is in daycare or not, which he certainly wouldn't be able to tell from a 90 second observation at the mall on a Sunday night, it's not necessary to get vocally judgemental in that way.

I'm also calling BS on little Miss P never having behaviour issues unless you have some kind of robo-child. All little kids have interaction issues sometimes. Are seriously trying to suggest she's never got upset because another kid took something from her or made another kid upset because she did the same? Even kids I know who have been in daycare since 6 weeks old have those kind of issues

SmallChog was not having a meltdown or a violent screaming attack on another kid it was a squabble that was defused quickly by 2 mums that were both watching and responding to their kids. The guy was just being a dick and I hope his kid had a lying on the floor fists flailing tantrum 15 minutes later in the food court as Karmic retribution

My 2.5 yo daughter has also been in daycare since 12 weeks, I consider her quite well socialized, she has little friends, we take her out to dinner and other places frequently, and we set firm boundaries for her with consequences.

That said, she definitely has the occasional tantrum or spat with a little friend over sharing a toy, wanting to try her food etc. In those instances, we address it just like you did. These things are minimizable with good parenting, but far from avoidable.

I also call BS on little Ms P! 😜. (Just kidding)
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What age are they?

Little Miss P started out in daycare at age two and the "program" was somewhat chaotic, but centered around regular meals and snacks, and a afternoon nap.

Year on year, over three years, the program progressively morphed into something that by halfway through the year before she started kindergarten, her daily routine was indistinguishable from kindergarten - a regular daily schedule set to the clock, "circle time", read stories, writing and numbers/basic maths tuition, etc.

Her transition into kindergarten was seemless and pain-free, helped perhaps that from the day she started, when she was too young to understand, we always referred to daycare as "school".
This. Although my daughter is not anywhere near kindergarten, I've noticed the program getting more and more structured as she moved up in "classes."

The only thing that doesn't seem to change is that they eat gazillions of snacks throughout the day!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
The only thing that doesn't seem to change is that they eat gazillions of snacks throughout the day!
Including those awful goldfish crackers?
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
Including those awful goldfish crackers?
Exactly! Or Pirate's Booty. They supposedly do some healthier ones too, like cut pieces of fruit.

I just don't think all that is necessary. On Saturdays and Sundays she only gets her three main meals with us and a small snack after afternoon nap, just like I did as a kid. She doesn't seem to miss the 10 others she gets at daycare and eats her 'real food' at meal times much better than during the week at school. Kids need to be a bit hungry to eat well!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teckelspass

My 2.5 yo daughter has also been in daycare since 12 weeks, I consider her quite well socialized, she has little friends, we take her out to dinner and other places frequently, and we set firm boundaries for her with consequences.

That said, she definitely has the occasional tantrum or spat with a little friend over sharing a toy, wanting to try her food etc. In those instances, we address it just like you did. These things are minimizable with good parenting, but far from avoidable.

I also call BS on little Ms P! 😜. (Just kidding)
There HAVE to be consequences and they must be followed through.

As a toddler, often the only deterrent is a smack. As they get older, the consequences become more material. Don't eat your dinner, no pudding. Don't tidy your room, no TV. No games. No phone...

On one occasion, I removed our daughter's bedroom door. Live by our rules or no privacy.

Too many kids nowadays know that the threat will not be followed through.

BTW: She's now 24, BSc (hons), a good job and just bought her first home.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 12:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
There HAVE to be consequences and they must be followed through.

As a toddler, often the only deterrent is a smack. As they get older, the consequences become more material. Don't eat your dinner, no pudding. Don't tidy your room, no TV. No games. No phone...

On one occasion, I removed our daughter's bedroom door. Live by our rules or no privacy.

Too many kids nowadays know that the threat will not be followed through.

BTW: She's now 24, BSc (hons), a good job and just bought her first home.

My daughter has always been good...but she's had her moments. During her teenage years...after a teenage flounce...I told her if she banged her bedroom door one more time I would remove it. She didn't bang it again...she knew I would follow through.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 5:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

My daughter has always been good...but she's had her moments. During her teenage years...after a teenage flounce...I told her if she banged her bedroom door one more time I would remove it. She didn't bang it again...she knew I would follow through.
My kids always knew that I would follow through as well. My ex; not so much.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't sure on whether to ask this in the car thread. We have cloth seats in our car with air bags. The manual says that we should not use seat covers. Are there other methods or techniques to stop toddlers messing up the seats? I have seen some seat covers advertised for use with airbags, I'm not sure if these are really suitable.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I have seen some seat covers advertised for use with airbags, I'm not sure if these are really suitable.
Why wouldn't they be suitable?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2016 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't sure on whether to ask this in the car thread. We have cloth seats in our car with air bags. The manual says that we should not use seat covers. Are there other methods or techniques to stop toddlers messing up the seats? I have seen some seat covers advertised for use with airbags, I'm not sure if these are really suitable.

Have you asked your local fire station to check your car seat setup and installation? Ours will do it any time if you call and make an appointment, or they often hold open days.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What does a seat cover have to do with an airbag? Don't the airbags come out of the dash and along the edge of the roof next to the doors?
I didn't understand that. Surely the children are in child seats on the back seat...a blanket/fleece could be placed on the exposed seating area.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't understand that. Surely the children are in child seats on the back seat...a blanket/fleece could be placed on the exposed seating area.

That's what we do - put a towel under the seat. It doesn't exactly match the trim, but it works fine
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 8:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What does a seat cover have to do with an airbag? Don't the airbags come out of the dash and along the edge of the roof next to the doors?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2016 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The air bags on some new cars come out of the side of the seats. I always thought they came out the dash and the roof. This was news to me. Serves me right for not getting a car with the leather / easy clean option.

This seat cover website sort of explains it

Seat Airbag - Shear Comfort Ltd.

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 22nd 2016 at 8:18 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Have you asked your local fire station to check your car seat setup and installation? Ours will do it any time if you call and make an appointment, or they often hold open days.
The police check them here, there's always a 2 hour wait but yes I have done it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.