Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Tips for traveling safely on the Tube

Tips for traveling safely on the Tube

Old Apr 3rd 2019, 12:24 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tips for traveling safely on the Tube

We're taking my parents to see Hamilton for their 50th wedding anniversary this summer.
They're mid-seventies. We'll be coming in from Loughton, Essex on the Tube.
Any tips for traveling safely on the Tube? This'll be on a Saturday night. The tabloids (and the crime statistic themselves) make it seem like London's in the midst of a violence epidemic.
Will there be a lot of drunk people?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for traveling safely on the Tube

You''ll be safer there than around all the gun nuts in Colorado.

Drunk people... probably. Violence... probably not.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 12:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
We're taking my parents to see Hamilton for their 50th wedding anniversary this summer.
They're mid-seventies. We'll be coming in from Loughton, Essex on the Tube.
Any tips for traveling safely on the Tube? This'll be on a Saturday night. The tabloids (and the crime statistic themselves) make it seem like London's in the midst of a violence epidemic.
Will there be a lot of drunk people?
If you're that worried, get a cab.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 12:54 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Much safer here. I had to explain to my sister we have a giant dog door and she couldn't fathom how we aren't burgled. Not that I want to jinx anything.

So basically just ignore them? The drunk people. Don't make eye contact. But don't look like a victim/potential mark?
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 12:55 am
Peace onion

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If you're that worried, get a cab.
Yeah, maybe just do an Uber. There's five of us though.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:03 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I was in London last year - saw nothing to be concerned about (zone 1-3, day and night). The trickier bit is getting the Oyster card ahead of time.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Yeah, maybe just do an Uber. There's five of us though.
Do a Google search for cabs Loughton to the West End, there are heaps of private transport companies. Lots of sites do price comparison, you can book a larger vehicle and pre-pay. A booked return for 5 should cost around £60 - £70 and it's door to door.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Very little of that sort of thing these days. Your parents have nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:08 am
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I was in London last year - saw nothing to be concerned about (zone 1-3, day and night). The trickier bit is getting the Oyster card ahead of time.
I just noticed they do 24 hour trains on Friday and Saturday nights now. That's great. We went to a Lindy Exchange (swing dancing event) and it finished about 2 or 3 in the morning and we were stranded down in the City until 7am. We walked the streets and it was freezing. No all-night cafes, diners etc. Very strange. We did have a magical couple of minutes when the city was ours, just as daylight came, Then all the delivery drivers started showing up. That was in 2007.

Seriously, English people are scary as ****. They throw down at every opportunity and I remember Sharon and Tracey for ever shrieking at Wayne and Gary to stop fighting. Every weekend.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:09 am
Peace onion

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Do a Google search for cabs Loughton to the West End, there are heaps of private transport companies. Lots of sites do price comparison, you can book a larger vehicle and pre-pay. A booked return for 5 should cost around £60 - £70 and it's door to door.
That's great. Traveling on the Tube was exciting when I was younger. Not so much with parents in tow.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough

No need for an Oyster card. Assuming everyone has contactless bank cards just tap in and out with these. You'll then get charged the cheapest fare for any journeys. I wouldn't worry about the tube at all, especially as you'll be with the theatre crowd.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

There is probably zero chance they have contactless credit or debit cards if from the USA! But the locals will probably have them, so yes, it is as simple as dabbing the card against the reader at the gate. It charges the lowest rate for all journeys in one day combined.

The tube is safe as houses.

London is pretty damned safe - I've been both the sober and drunk person in the street and never had any problems.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:59 pm
Concierge

My sister and I walked around the West End at night after seeing Le Miz last year. The only time we were in danger was when we had to cross the road because that's where our Uber driver was.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Not being critical..where does the 'z' come from? Le Miz.
Shouldn't it be Le Mis?

(I'm not part of the in-crowd on this.)
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Not being critical..where does the 'z' come from? Le Miz.
Shouldn't it be Le Mis?

(I'm not part of the in-crowd on this.)
Wouldn't have a clue! I suppose it can be whatever you want it to be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.