Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Tips on flying with a 14 month old to the UK please.

Tips on flying with a 14 month old to the UK please.

Old May 6th 2017, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tips on flying with a 14 month old to the UK please.

Parents, doting grandparents ( that would be us!) and baby flying straight through from Houston to Heathrow in June. Good suggestions to make the flight easier for us and everyone else on the plane are very welcome!

We didn't have such a problem when our kids were young (but not quite this young) as the longest we flew was probably Gatwick to Ibiza

The flight over is through the night. We leave Houston at 8pm but coming back it will be daytime flying.

Points to make: She doesn't like to nap. She wants to be on her feet all the time and she is very very sociable!

Maybe I can upgrade one of us
Old May 6th 2017, 6:22 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on flying with a 14 month old to the UK please.

For the flight to the UK:
Does she sleep well at night? As she doesn't like to nap I would encourage lots of running/walking around the terminal before the flight so she will be cream crackered at bed time. Take some snacks so she can eat when she needs to, not just when the airline provides "food". A favourite small cuddly toy and blanket will also help her settle. I seem to recall bringing our youngest over here at a similar age and think we had a sky-cot in at least one direction, though he was almost too big for it.

For the daytime flight back:
Plenty of things to do, that can be brought out over the flight. Some new things, some familiar things, but nothing too noisy! Also get a set of comfortable child sized headphones so that she can watch some the inflight entertainment. There are usually cartoons available. Maybe some UK style baby reins so it is possible to walk behind her up and down the aisle rather than trying to hold her hand?

I'm sure more recent parents will have lots of good ideas that are more up to date than mine.
Old May 6th 2017, 7:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Tip 1: let us know which flight you're on so we can be sure not to be on it.

Sorry, baby's are my least favorite fellow passengers.
Old May 6th 2017, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
For the flight to the UK:
Does she sleep well at night? As she doesn't like to nap I would encourage lots of running/walking around the terminal before the flight so she will be cream crackered at bed time. Take some snacks so she can eat when she needs to, not just when the airline provides "food". A favourite small cuddly toy and blanket will also help her settle. I seem to recall bringing our youngest over here at a similar age and think we had a sky-cot in at least one direction, though he was almost too big for it.

For the daytime flight back:
Plenty of things to do, that can be brought out over the flight. Some new things, some familiar things, but nothing too noisy! Also get a set of comfortable child sized headphones so that she can watch some the inflight entertainment. There are usually cartoons available. Maybe some UK style baby reins so it is possible to walk behind her up and down the aisle rather than trying to hold her hand?

I'm sure more recent parents will have lots of good ideas that are more up to date than mine.

She will sleep fairly well through the night so we are hoping that putting her in her PJ's and letting her cuddle up to George ( her night night cuddle toy)will work for most of the flight.

Like the idea of the reins, thanks

At least there are four of us for her to be passed around to
Old May 6th 2017, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Hey, old guys with long legs taking up too much space are just as annoying
Old May 6th 2017, 11:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Hey, old guys ....
"Old"? .... I'll have to get JG to educate you.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 7th 2017 at 12:01 am.
Old May 7th 2017, 1:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

On the way back let her wander. In my experience it's the toddlers who want to explore and aren't allowed to that become the grumpy whiny ones. If she's happy toddling up and down the aisles entertaining herself let her have it. You can all take turns keeping and eye on her whilst not getting DVT. Win win. I love seeing happy explorers.
Old May 7th 2017, 1:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure which is most appropriate but pacifiers, a bottle or lollipops work well on take off and landing (to stop ears popping).
Old May 7th 2017, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mothers Little Helper
Old May 7th 2017, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Mothers Little Helper
I was thinking of that also - but for the child... or cough syrup! I'm all for doping children on long flights. I'm not sure I'd have done that to my own, but I'm all for it for someone else's annoying brat.

Ian
Old May 7th 2017, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A spray that could be directed at the offender?
Old May 7th 2017, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you have a skycot, speak to your airline to ensure you have it booked as 8hrs with a little one potentially on your lap, is a long time! iPad and headphones are the most essential item and stickers and comics can often kill 30 seconds before they loose concentration and move onto the next activity!!! 😉 Walking them round and tiring them out first was a great tip x
Old May 7th 2017, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Old May 7th 2017, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Make sure you have a skycot, speak to your airline to ensure you have it booked as 8hrs with a little one potentially on your lap, is a long time! iPad and headphones are the most essential item and stickers and comics can often kill 30 seconds before they loose concentration and move onto the next activity!!! 😉 Walking them round and tiring them out first was a great tip x
All seats with skycot were already booked . If there is a cancellation then we may get one The one good thing is she can be passed around as there are 4 of us.

We have already started collecting new little toys to amuse her and some favourite snacks. I imagine the flight back will be the harder one as it is daytime.
Old May 7th 2017, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
On the way back let her wander. In my experience it's the toddlers who want to explore and aren't allowed to that become the grumpy whiny ones. If she's happy toddling up and down the aisles entertaining herself let her have it. You can all take turns keeping and eye on her whilst not getting DVT. Win win. I love seeing happy explorers.

I am sure by the end of the flight we will be friends with everyone.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not sure which is most appropriate but pacifiers, a bottle or lollipops work well on take off and landing (to stop ears popping).
She has a pacifier, Penelope Penguin. That should help her ears

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.