Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

tipping the business owner??

tipping the business owner??

Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tipping the business owner??

Originally Posted by Anian
Why are the employees so poorly paid in the first place that the customer is expected to supply a portion of their income? .....
That's not an unreasonable point, but it's one that I can't change - nor can I explain why Mrs P pays $35 for a wash and haircut when I get charged less than $15 .... by the same hairdresser! But I can make someone's day a little brighter with a generous tip.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sympathetic to them, but I cannot afford to supplement their income with my low income as I am also poorly paid.

If I had the financial ability to tip, I would. As it is, I only get 2-3 or so hair cuts a year as they are a luxury item.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought you would have been more sympathetic to the poorly paid employees waiting tables and in the beauty business who benefit from the largesse of their customers.

I was more than happy to give our cheerful waitress a $6 tip on a $25 bill when Mrs P, little Miss P and I had breakfast last Sunday at a local diner.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am sympathetic to them, but I cannot afford to supplement their income with my low income as I am also poorly paid.

If I had the financial ability to tip, I would. .....
Understood, that makes sense from your perspective.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 11:55 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Once could always learn to cut your own hair then the issue of whether or not to tip won't arise ......
IMO, being a business owner shouldn't have a bearing whether or not they are worthy of a tip. Obviously (small) business owners broke out on their own as a conscious desire and attempt to better themselves and net more income than they would earn being an employee, or more likely, an independent contractor elsewhere; in the case of barbers/stylist, they typically split that cost of (your) cut with the house (hence the motive to 'go it alone'). One shouldn't make the assumption just because they are the owner it means they are automatically rolling in it, nor subject to a tip for services. I think that people forget and overlook that a tip is a gratuity afterall; i.e. a show of extra appreciation for a job well done, independent of whether or not they happen to be owner - they still have business overhead which needs to be covered before their own proceeds are taken into account. At the end of the day, its a sense of their self-value.

There are segments of the population who will always grumble regardless of the situation ...... $20 plus 20% tip, or $24 all inclusive, no matter what, its still outrageous blah .. blah .. blah!! You might as well play chess with a pigeon. ......

Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
$20 plus 20% tip,
They seem to be getting bigger. Tips used to be 10%, then 12 1/2%, now 20%. Completely outrageous. It is just a system to allow employers to pay low wages and employees to evade taxes.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Went to the hairdresser today - he has moved from previous salon where he was an employee and is now self-employed.

So when I paid, the software he uses gave me the option to add a tip with varying amounts suggested. I was a bit nonplussed tbh but added what would have been the normal tip had he been an employee.

what's the normal thing to do in these circumstances?
What would Jesus do?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:19 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tarkak9;12303175][CENTER]

IMO, being a business owner shouldn't have a bearing whether or not they are worthy of a tip. Obviously (small) business owners broke out on their own as a conscious desire and attempt to better themselves and net more income than they would earn being an employee, or more likely, an independent contractor elsewhere; in the case of barbers/stylist, they typically split that cost of (your) cut with the house (hence the motive to 'go it alone'). One shouldn't make the assumption just because they are the owner it means they are automatically rolling in it, nor subject to a tip for services. I think that people forget and overlook that a tip is a gratuity afterall; i.e. a show of extra appreciation for a job well done, independent of whether or not they happen to be owner - they still have business overhead which needs to be covered before their own proceeds are taken into account. At the end of the day, its a sense of their self-value.

A decent business plan should ensure that all overheads are taken into account, that all taxes can be paid and sufficient left for the owner to take a salary too. If the plan requires tipping to work, it's a shitty business plan.

The total bill including tip was $204. For 90 minutes work. Except that for 35 minutes of that I was sat reading my book and he worked on another client having similar miracles performed on her hair.... so let's say that for 3 hours' work he earned $400 assuming she paid the same tip as me. Not exactly poverty stricken then.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
..... Except that for 35 minutes of that I was sat reading my book .....
[grammar pedant mode]"Being sat" was obviously an additional service for which you paid. [/grammar pedant mode]

Or maybe you were sitting?
Old Jul 26th 2017, 2:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.understandmusictheory.co..._a_haircut.gif

Once could always learn to cut your own hair then the issue of whether or not to tip won't arise ......

There are segments of the population who will always grumble regardless of the situation ...... $20 plus 20% tip, or $24 all inclusive, no matter what, its still outrageous blah .. blah .. blah!! You might as well play chess with a pigeon. ......

Today I learned the key of 'shave and a haircut'

I do cut (well, shave) my own hair. Have done for years, but I still tip the ladies at Great Clips when I take my son in to get his cut. Mostly because they have to get hedge trimmers out to deal with the bloody mop on his head, but they always do a good job, so what's a couple of bucks on top of a $13.00 cut?

Same at restaurants. I know there's the whole argument that they should be paid actual minimum wage and not $2.13/hr and they absolutely should, but I think we'd still tip for good service even if they were paid a better hourly wage. When we were back in the UK we tipped the same as we would have here, I have no problem tipping a little more for good service irrespective of what the base pay of the person providing the service is.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
[grammar pedant mode]"Being sat" was obviously an additional service for which you paid. [/grammar pedant mode]

Or maybe you were sitting?
I refuse to believe you ever leave pedant mode
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.understandmusictheory.co..._a_haircut.gif

Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I really do tip generously!

I'd never come across this particular situation before in the USA. My hairdresser in France did the same thing - leaving the salon and setting up on his own. In France, though you don't tip anyway so it was never an issue.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Where I work the wheel chair folks who push people around the airport get tips on top of their 13-15/hr, they average around $100 per day in tips according to the ones I have spoken to so not difficult for them to be making 25-30 per hour with tips.

We on the ramp get the same hourly wage, but no tips of course ditto for the groomers.

Tipping is very lucrative for workers in regions where they get a higher hourly wage compared to US workers, we don't have the 2.13/hr wage for service workers, min wage is the minimum, although if a server serves alcohol they can be paid $1 under min. wage.