Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Time Warner to test Internet billing based on usage

Wikiposts

Time Warner to test Internet billing based on usage

Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:56 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time Warner to test Internet billing based on usage

puts me right off the concept of downloading a movie through netflix or say subscribing to Setanta sports streaming service (or continuing my vonage service):curse:.
We are a TW customer here, not by choice, only because they have a monopoly in the area (unless we want slow DSL)

Well if they roll it out, looks like we will be reverting to semaphore
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:16 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Some companies are already blocking P2P, and even Lotus Notes

I can see a day when you have to pay to add services, extra if you want to download music, more again if you want video (but free if your buying the music and video from the ISP's partner site) etc. Company A's download service is always slow with your ISP, but oddly their partners site works perfectly.
Net neutrality is being eroded. How long before ISP's with agenda's start traffic shaping or modifying our web experience - visit a democrat site and its nice and fast, a republican site and it times-out or is very slow.

Too far of a leap to make? Well, yeah, probably is to be honest.
No, its not a giant leap at all. The media is already highly controlled here (look on the CNN site and try to find something about the NH vote recount currently underway). Imagine that level of control on your entire Web Experience (nice phrase, I shall steal it forthwith )

Couple that with Home Secretary Jacqui Smiths comments yesterday that the Government will be looking to shut down "Extremist" web sites - without of course saying exactly what an extremist Web Site is. Is just those troublesome Muslims? The BNP? PETA? Brians Blog page where he has a go at his local Council for not putting his Wheelie Bin back properly?

The West is oh so quick to denounce China for their meddling in the openness of the internet, but while they make their hue and cry about the need for openness, they're slipping the same shite in while no-one notices and whats worse, the majority don't care.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Some companies are already blocking P2P, and even Lotus Notes
Thanks for the link Pony. This is the first I've heard of this kind of shit happening (never knew it was possible). This could explain why my hubby has been having probs. He works from home 4 days/week and has been doing some complaining about slow speeds. We have Insight (only option in the area) and if we find out they are doing this crap we will be sooo pissed.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:15 am
Just Joined

glenurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Thanks for the link Pony. This is the first I've heard of this kind of shit happening (never knew it was possible). This could explain why my hubby has been having probs. He works from home 4 days/week and has been doing some complaining about slow speeds. We have Insight (only option in the area) and if we find out they are doing this crap we will be sooo pissed.
if it happens in Austin then it'll be bye bye from me to Time Warner, what a step backwards for internet users. use some of your profits to improve your your infrastructure.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenurse
use some of your profits to improve your your infrastructure.
A novel idea -- but I don't think it'll catch on. US corps can see just about as far as the next fiscal quarter. Infrastructure is not considered unless it breaks. Then it's cheaper to just patch it. Patch over patch over patch.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see a huge problem with 'bandwidth billing' - $20 for up to x GBytes/month, $40 for up to y GBytes/month, etc - as long as the limits were high. I'd prefer that to preferential delivery methods. I believe the phone co's already bill differently for different speeds of DSL service, do they not?

FYI, my Comcast cable service has gotten very fast of late, without them tooting their horn about it. I consistently get over 10MBps download, 1MBps upload as measured by
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
http://www.2wire.com/bandwidth/initialmeter.php

I currently pay ~$50 for Comcast High Speed Internet and I suspect I'd actually see a drop if they billed for bandwidth (only) - I don't have the TIME to download and watch that much!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

this is how broadband was billed for in the beginning in the UK. It only lasted for about 12 months (NTL and virgin i think) and then they scrapped it as it was such a bad idea.

Now Broadband is free from a lot of companies. Orange and Carphonenetwork both started the free broadband, now Sky TV give all their subscribers free broadband.
You think it would ever happen here
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Also - the good news is, there's always a new service around the corner trying to break into the market. So if Time Warner screw too many people around, they'll just open the door to the next guy(s).

we've been rolling out 'Sprint Data Cards' to all our remote workers so they can 'connect from anywhere' and the service is surprisingly fast and reliable, and priced around $50/unlimited use. It's not at 'cable' or 'DSL' speeds yet, but it's getting there.

Speaking of Time Warner, though - bastards - they dick around with their DNS servers so that any 'private' address not resolved by their DNS servers sticks you on THEIR preferred search page ... this really screwed up our home VPN users who need to get to (eg) our intranet sites. EG - our users type in <companyName> to get to our intranet page, and TW's DNS servers SHOULD just say, "I don't know that one, it's private, I'll pass it on" but instead they say, I don't know that one, I'll ignore the fact it looks private, I'll redirect you to our (sponsored/kick-backed) search page. Had to make static 'hosts' file entries to fix that one! Scumbags.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:51 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I don't see a huge problem with 'bandwidth billing' - $20 for up to x GBytes/month, $40 for up to y GBytes/month, etc - as long as the limits were high. I'd prefer that to preferential delivery methods. I believe the phone co's already bill differently for different speeds of DSL service, do they not?

FYI, my Comcast cable service has gotten very fast of late, without them tooting their horn about it. I consistently get over 10MBps download, 1MBps upload as measured by
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
http://www.2wire.com/bandwidth/initialmeter.php

I currently pay ~$50 for Comcast High Speed Internet and I suspect I'd actually see a drop if they billed for bandwidth (only) - I don't have the TIME to download and watch that much!
At 50 per month I find that pretty high. I've got mine along with digital cable and of course phone on top of that around 114 a month with my Road Runner service around $33. Anytime companies like these make price scheme adjustments, we the consumer, seem to get screwed at the end. You have to ask yourself 'Why would a company want to shrink their profit margain?' I have a feeling they've already run an algorithm based on user patterns and came to the conclusion that they would be better off by charging per data unit transfer. Some might see a decrease but I think most will see an increase. I have a feeling I'll be apart of the consumer base that will see that increase.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ugacrew
At 50 per month I find that pretty high. I've got mine along with digital cable and of course phone on top of that around 114 a month with my Road Runner service around $33. Anytime companies like these make price scheme adjustments, we the consumer, seem to get screwed at the end. You have to ask yourself 'Why would a company want to shrink their profit margain?' I have a feeling they've already run an algorithm based on user patterns and came to the conclusion that they would be better off by charging per data unit transfer. Some might see a decrease but I think most will see an increase. I have a feeling I'll be apart of the consumer base that will see that increase.

I could get it cheaper by going for bundled pricing (cable data, premium TV, voice, etc) but I know that just plays into their strategy of locking me in then jacking up the price even more ... so I keep them all separate and keep an eye on the alternatives. We pay over $100/month for premium TV (incl. HD, with two 'boxes', one HD+DVR, only HBO premium. F***ing rip off!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:57 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I could get it cheaper by going for bundled pricing (cable data, premium TV, voice, etc) but I know that just plays into their strategy of locking me in then jacking up the price even more ... so I keep them all separate and keep an eye on the alternatives. We pay over $100/month for premium TV (incl. HD, with two 'boxes', one HD+DVR, only HBO premium. F***ing rip off!
That is VERY high. You might want to bundle dude. Seriously. A'la carte is expensive.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:59 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Also - the good news is, there's always a new service around the corner trying to break into the market. So if Time Warner screw too many people around, they'll just open the door to the next guy(s).
lucky you, my choice other than TW for highspeed internet is non-existent
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Paul S
lucky you, my choice other than TW for highspeed internet is non-existent
Not even DSL? Too far from telco?

I had a colleague in remote Ohio and he went the satellite route - but it was less than ideal.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:44 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Not even DSL? Too far from telco?

I had a colleague in remote Ohio and he went the satellite route - but it was less than ideal.
can get DSL but it'll be no use for us. We use Vonage for our telephone due to the lack of cost in making calls back to the UK and Europe (plus I think AT&T are a bunch of **&$&%^$^$^$$%^$###'s).

Just about to sign up to Setanta broadband, so I'd like as fat a connection as possible. Wouldn't be so bad if TW had a decent HD lineup and didn't keep on dumping random HD channels that I watch (as they did just before Christmas)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

TW sucks Paul, I'm in NEO as well and in the same sitch, we use Lingo though, other than that same situation. What is Setanta, never heard of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.