Wikiposts

time until work

Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

salisae is an unknown quantity at this point
Default time until work

Hello British ExPats Members,

My husband is in the midst of getting his visa approved so he can begin working. The necessary forms were sent in and he has an interview this week. But today we got a notice that one of the forms was incorrect and had to be resubmitted (I sent my tax return instead of an IRS issued statement of my taxes). Is there anyway of knowing how much time it will take from this point?Will he go to the back of the line or does it typically stay on its original time course?

There is someone ready to give him a job -- he even offered to supply him with an H1B visa -- and it seems ridiculous that there wouldn't be a way for him to begin working sooner rather than later.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:08 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: time until work

Originally Posted by salisae
Hello British ExPats Members,

My husband is in the midst of getting his visa approved so he can begin working. The necessary forms were sent in and he has an interview this week. But today we got a notice that one of the forms was incorrect and had to be resubmitted (I sent my tax return instead of an IRS issued statement of my taxes). Is there anyway of knowing how much time it will take from this point?Will he go to the back of the line or does it typically stay on its original time course?

There is someone ready to give him a job -- he even offered to supply him with an H1B visa -- and it seems ridiculous that there wouldn't be a way for him to begin working sooner rather than later.
Hi,

I'm not sure how it's so ridiculous. Sending in the correct documentation in the first place would likely help speed the process along a bit faster.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 11:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is in the midst of getting his visa approved so he can begin working.
From reading your past posts, it seems you guys were working on a K-1 visa back in Nov 2008, right? That probably means he's come to the USA on his K-1 visa, you got married, and applied for his adjustment of status to permanent resident, right? If this is the case, he is not in the midst of getting his visa approved so he can work. He's in the midst of getting his status adjusted to permanent resident so he can get a green card.

The necessary forms were sent in and he has an interview this week. But today we got a notice that one of the forms was incorrect and had to be resubmitted (I sent my tax return instead of an IRS issued statement of my taxes).
This part is a little confusing. He already has his interview for "this week", which today is Friday, the last day of this week. Do you mean he has an interview next week? Or did you mistype and you actually meant he HAD his interview this week? Did he attend the AOS interview yet or not? It makes a difference in the answer to "how much longer".

Is there anyway of knowing how much time it will take from this point?Will he go to the back of the line or does it typically stay on its original time course?
If he has NOT yet had the interview, and it's next week, I'm surprised you got an RFE so close to the interview date. If that's the case, do two things...send back the RFE with the required info, plus bring the required info to the interview. It's highly uncommon to get an RFE so close to an already set up interview.

If you meant you've already attended the interview, and AT the interview the officer said she needs further info from you, then just obtain it and send it back in to her. From that point, it *shouldn't* take too much longer to get his case adjudicated.

As part of the AOS package, Form I-765 should have been filed so your husband can get his Employment Authorization Document (EAD). That is all he needs to work, he does not need to wait until he has his green card in hand. He should be in possession of an EAD right now, and can use that to work. Unless, perhaps if you've already attended the interview, the officer took his EAD away? Is that what happened?

It's hard to give you a good answer, because you leave a lot of details out of your post.

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:43 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If he has NOT yet had the interview, and it's next week, I'm surprised you got an RFE so close to the interview date.
I think she meant that she submitted the AOS forms and received an RFE, but that he has a job interview this week (or maybe next week) and either doesn't yet have an EAD, or believes he needs a GC in order to work.

I really wish people would take a moment add a line or two as to what process they're going through, and where things stand. Otherwise, it's just a guessing game for us - and we shouldn't have to troll through prior posts just to find out.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think she meant that she submitted the AOS forms and received an RFE, but that he has a job interview this week (or maybe next week) and either doesn't yet have an EAD, or believes he needs a GC in order to work.

I really wish people would take a moment add a line or two as to what process they're going through, and where things stand. Otherwise, it's just a guessing game for us - and we shouldn't have to troll through prior posts just to find out.

Ian
Good point, Ian....I was thinking AOS interview, but perhaps she meant a job interview?

Rene
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:07 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Amen. Many people fail to realize that we are not mind readers, and do not know the essential information unless they tell us.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

How the heck are they be able to supply him an H1B visa? A company can't supply that!