Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

time to give up my vice smoking

time to give up my vice smoking

Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

mick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nice
Default time to give up my vice smoking

Hi everyone, I've decided that its time I quit smoking. I know this isn't a quitting forum but I could use some good old English humor to get me through the tough times, so if anyone could help encourage or support me is really appreciate it thanks
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all
Default Re: time to give up my vice smoking

Name:  Mouse.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  2.7 KB

Saw title, misread and thought of the above...............

GOOD LUCK!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's all right...there are plenty of others you can pick up instead, drink and drugs are probably far more socially accepted over gambling though
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick65
Hi everyone, I've decided that its time I quit smoking. I know this isn't a quitting forum but I could use some good old English humor to get me through the tough times, so if anyone could help encourage or support me is really appreciate it thanks
I can only speak for myself but it really isn't as bad as it is made out to be. I smoked for about 10 years, 20+ a day and I was able to stop completely. It only takes a few days for the nicotine to work its way out of your system, then after that it's all habit breaking.

Getting your sense of taste back is worth it alone, that first pint I had when I didn't smoke anymore was like a completely different drink .
Old Jul 28th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Didn't realize you could smoke vices!!! You learn something new every day!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 9:44 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's all right...there are plenty of others you can pick up instead, drink and drugs are probably far more socially accepted over gambling though
I bet they're not!

Here all week, I suggest you try the veal etc etc...
Old Jul 28th 2011, 10:17 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

It's tough. I smoked for 20+ years and tried many times to give up. In the end I had to convince myself I didn't want it any more. I got 'bored' with the hassle of stopping to pick up fags, having to pop out of work to get some when I'd forgotten to do so on the way in etc. etc.

I haven't quit completely - I still smoke when I go back to the UK with work, for example, but still I can comfortably go for months on end in the US inbetween trips without even thinking about it.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

mick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
It's tough. I smoked for 20+ years and tried many times to give up. In the end I had to convince myself I didn't want it any more. I got 'bored' with the hassle of stopping to pick up fags, having to pop out of work to get some when I'd forgotten to do so on the way in etc. etc.

I haven't quit completely - I still smoke when I go back to the UK with work, for example, but still I can comfortably go for months on end in the US inbetween trips without even thinking about it.
I have smoked for 20+ years too, quit a couple of times but always went back, but this time I'm determined to stop maybe i'll end up just smoking in the UK too.
I'm looking forward to tasting a nice beer as i watch the premier league, now thats a goal for me to aim for
Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

My DH has switched to nicotine gum. OK I know that is supposed to just be used to wean you off fags but he's still chewing 3 years later! However it is much better than actually smoking!
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
My DH has switched to nicotine gum. OK I know that is supposed to just be used to wean you off fags but he's still chewing 3 years later! However it is much better than actually smoking!
Isn't that stuff expensive though? It's much better just to stop cold IMHO. If I can do it, anyone can
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Old US TV commercial. Even Fred Flinstone smoked them.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jul 29th 2011 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:12 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

When I gave up about 10 years ago, the reality of coughing up chunks of slime from my lungs every morning was enough to put me off fags forever. As gross as it was, it actually really helped me to never want to put myself through that again.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

but this time I'm determined to stop maybe i'll end up just smoking in the UK too.
Back when I quit I had to stop going out for a while because I always smoked more when I drank, that was back in the day when you went into a pub and came home stinking of smoke even if you did smoke. Nice thing these days is that there is no smoking in indoor public places in the UK these days.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it, if I can do it, then anyone can. I smoked from the age of 13 to 23, latterly on around 40-50 a day (I know - disgusting). I stopped with the help of the gum when the doc told me that if I didn't quit I'd get pleuracy again, so I came out of the doc's, threw my fags and lighter away, and that was it. 10 years later, bad day at work, was on them again. Then on and off until 4 years ago this month, when I went cold turkey with no help and I've not touched one since, and hope that I never do. I wish you all the best with it, keep going, because trust me, it really does get easier as the weeks go on
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

this one got to me ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.