Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A thread for Expat horsey folk... sharing experience and interest.

A thread for Expat horsey folk... sharing experience and interest.

Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:38 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A thread for Expat horsey folk... sharing experience and interest.

Different?

Well, it had to be done!... ... My first topic on this forum leapt from one thing to another, and now, seemingly, is becoming swamped with the subject of horses... ...

So, encouraged by 'horsey' members, this new thread is dedicated to those who hold a fascination (active or otherwise) on the subject of horseback riding or anything equine.

There's English riding and there's Western riding, both quite different. Personally, I haven't yet ridden western-style, but hope to do so next year if and when I revisit the United States. In brief, I first started riding in the early 1970's, gaining certificates in horsemastership, and at one time, was actively involved with a touring UK medieval jousting reenactment team. It was fun (cuts and bruises aside!). 'Sir Michael of York', I was, though why, I have absolutely no idea, seeing as I was bloomed in Lincolnshire!

Anyway, for openers, I find that today, women appear to dominate the world of horses rather than men. My conclusion is: mechanism has diverted men away from horseback, because horses no longer carry men through war and peace as once they did.

Mechanism or no mechanism, the horse gallops on, timeless in its grace and sacrifice to the pleasures and desires of men...

Okay, let's ride... Giddup! Yee Haw!!

Last edited by britex01; Nov 1st 2007 at 12:09 am.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:07 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A thread for Expat horsey folk... sharing experience and interest.

you gotta admit there's nothing more than sitting on a horse full gallop accross the open field and feeling the raw horse power underneath you....and if you know horses....you'll know I don't mean this in the kinky way....

I've always wanted a horse since I was a kid....but alas we could never afford one...so now that I'm an adult I've rekindled my love for them and have been riding for about 4 yrs (American saddlebred) and have to admit I'm loving every minute of it!

yea boy!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:02 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I used to ride but don't anymore.
However my youngest is horse mad and has been since she was about 4 years old.
She rode in the UK and when we first moved here it was hard to find somewhere for her to ride.
We found a "barn" as I have learned to call them in SW PA. There are no riding schools as such here but some barns do offer lessons, generally on your own horse which you board at the barn.
We don't own a horse and that made it harder to find somewhere for her.

This year, for the first time, her barn have started an equestrian team. Lovely for the girls, eye wateringly expensive for us!!!!
It has cost an arm and a leg to outfit her and then we have the cost of entry to the shows, travel, accomodation etc.
It is all done through the IEA or something but basically the place organizing the show provides all the hordes and the entrants draw a horse and ride it for the first time minutes before their event.

We have just done our first show and she came in 4th so we have a rosette and we are waiting to find out if we have a place in a show in Cleveland next weekend.
Then it's off to Cincinatti in January.

I would love to sell up in the 'burbs and buy a place with land and have some horses.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:10 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The first farm we lived on, up in NH, right off the Appalachian trail had been in the same family for 130 years. In the carriage barn, was a sleigh (complete with buffalo robe ) and a buggy-used to have a great time pretending to be driving a team. My Dad bought a Saddlebred for himself, a Morgan something mix for my Mom and a pony for me. We would go out trailriding on Sunday afternoons and at that time we all rode Western. When we turned for home, my mother's horse ALWAYS took off, hell bent for election, leaving Dad and I in the dust.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I dont ride western or English...I ride bareback
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:25 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I dont ride western or English...I ride bareback
Without spurs I trust?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:34 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Without spurs I trust?
No spurs but I keep my boots on for traction.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
No spurs but I keep my boots on for traction.
Gee, it didn't take long (just took you) to turn this thread in err.... that direction.

Now I still have my bit, spurs, and longe whip... better look out...

Mike should be along shortly to gently steer us back in the correct direction.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:19 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Gee, it didn't take long (just took you) to turn this thread in err.... that direction.

Now I still have my bit, spurs, and longe whip... better look out...

Mike should be along shortly to gently steer us back in the correct direction.

Huh?? ...

Let loose, cowgirl! ... ... Assume nothing!

Mike
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I've ridden most of my life, its the ultimate destresser. Since being over here I've ridden mostly western although a good friend of mine has a couple of English saddles available. I've been lucky and made some incredible 'horsey friends' who I ride along with, I even helped out taking guided trail rides this summer.
I even managed to aquire a horse of my own !! I adopted a 17.2h Beligian who had spent his life pulling carriages on Mackinac Island. His stablemate passed on and he was left in a depression. I took him on in his retirement, at his first vet check I was told he was about 30 years old but the vet assured me he was good to go, I could ride him and even drive him with a light 'forecart' if I wanted. He had the most wonderful carriage trot and 2,000lbs of horse cantering makes the earth move I can tell you !

All good things must come to an end, this last week it was decided that he was losing weight no matter how much grain or beetmash we gave him, it was time to say farewell, so hes gone to run with the angel horses, as my friend Kim said "if theres no horses in heaven I'm not going"
Ranger will always have a place in my heart, he was such a goofball I cant help to smile through the tears when I think of all the ripped pockets he gave me searching for apples and treats, how he would stop and look around for apple trees to raid while out on the trail, how he would give me that 'look' when I walked into the pasture with his harness. What a fella!!
Attached Thumbnails A thread for Expat horsey folk... sharing experience and interest.-ranger.jpg  
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:48 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your Belgian....I too have a passion for them and find them to be the most gentle giants I have ever met...

May Ranger run wild and free....

here's a pic of me and my friends Belgians
Attached Thumbnails A thread for Expat horsey folk... sharing experience and interest.-009_9.jpg  
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:49 pm
Last orders please...

C'mon Tracym....where are your horsey pics...
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:52 pm
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I used to ride but don't anymore.
However my youngest is horse mad and has been since she was about 4 years old.
She rode in the UK and when we first moved here it was hard to find somewhere for her to ride.
We found a "barn" as I have learned to call them in SW PA. There are no riding schools as such here but some barns do offer lessons, generally on your own horse which you board at the barn.
We don't own a horse and that made it harder to find somewhere for her.

This year, for the first time, her barn have started an equestrian team. Lovely for the girls, eye wateringly expensive for us!!!!
It has cost an arm and a leg to outfit her and then we have the cost of entry to the shows, travel, accomodation etc.
It is all done through the IEA or something but basically the place organizing the show provides all the hordes and the entrants draw a horse and ride it for the first time minutes before their event.

We have just done our first show and she came in 4th so we have a rosette and we are waiting to find out if we have a place in a show in Cleveland next weekend.
Then it's off to Cincinatti in January.

I would love to sell up in the 'burbs and buy a place with land and have some horses.
My fingers are crossed for you.....hope you get the good news soon....

and unfortunately this is why I've never done the show circuit...the amount of $$$$$$ involved is unbelievable...
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
So sorry to hear about your Belgian....I too have a passion for them and find them to be the most gentle giants I have ever met...

May Ranger run wild and free....

here's a pic of me and my friends Belgians

aww big puppies!! sooo beautiful
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:55 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
I've ridden most of my life, its the ultimate destresser. Since being over here I've ridden mostly western although a good friend of mine has a couple of English saddles available. I've been lucky and made some incredible 'horsey friends' who I ride along with, I even helped out taking guided trail rides this summer.
I even managed to aquire a horse of my own !! I adopted a 17.2h Beligian who had spent his life pulling carriages on Mackinac Island. His stablemate passed on and he was left in a depression. I took him on in his retirement, at his first vet check I was told he was about 30 years old but the vet assured me he was good to go, I could ride him and even drive him with a light 'forecart' if I wanted. He had the most wonderful carriage trot and 2,000lbs of horse cantering makes the earth move I can tell you !

All good things must come to an end, this last week it was decided that he was losing weight no matter how much grain or beetmash we gave him, it was time to say farewell, so hes gone to run with the angel horses, as my friend Kim said "if theres no horses in heaven I'm not going"
Ranger will always have a place in my heart, he was such a goofball I cant help to smile through the tears when I think of all the ripped pockets he gave me searching for apples and treats, how he would stop and look around for apple trees to raid while out on the trail, how he would give me that 'look' when I walked into the pasture with his harness. What a fella!!
Jan... I sense your loss of such a valued creature friend. He was, of course, getting on in years when you acquired him (it shows in his conformation). That you and he shared and enjoyed time together in the manner you described, was indeed a blessing of sorts, eh? ...

I agree about the de-stresser thinking... I ride much for that same reason (in part, anyway).

The western guided trails...??... are these simply 'nose to tail' events or can one spread out? The trouble with 'nose to tail' horses is that few break the damned habit! I would not, therefore, seek to acquire a horse directly from an RS establishment (here, anyway) if a wee too long ingrained.

Nice to meet you here...

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.