Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on home bars?

Wikiposts

Thoughts on home bars?

Old Aug 13th 2014, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on home bars?

Ballet barre.
I'm all for that one.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
I never understood the desire or need for a home bar, except by young men who like the idea of being James Bond-y. Unless you are going to have a very high frequency of parties and a very high volume of drinkers (in which case only a big and fully functioning wet bar, with wash station/sink and freezer/refrigerator would do) I feel they are pointless. And even pretentious.
The kitchen is more than enough.

Sorry, I know this was not what you were asking. But I couldn't resist

Good luck on the project though. The home theatre will surely be good!
We had a hideous 80's nightmare thing in the corner of our living room for years until we shelled out to demolish it. I could never quite picture what one would do, stand behind it brandishing a tea towel and greeting guests with, "Evening Squire!"?

If they are used by hired staff for parties they have a point, those are enormous ones though.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually quite looking forward to standing behind my own bar and asking friends "what'll it be?" and then barring them if they ask for Miller Lite

The plan involves a full wet bar with keg storage and hopefully a wine cellar 'fridge' in there as well. Obviously, I will need to serve some beer warm too, to satisfy my yank friends perception of us Brits

Been looking at the avs forum already - lots of good info. The cinema end of the room is going to be more casual than having the individual cinema seat arrangement though so it fits in with the bar being at the other end.

Oh, and to anyone that doesn't see the point in a home bar, that's your prerogative of course. But, after going through hell buying a house at all here, I don't plan on buying another so I'm gonna do what the hell I want to this one!
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
I'm actually quite looking forward to standing behind my own bar and asking friends "what'll it be?" and then barring them if they ask for Miller Lite

The plan involves a full wet bar with keg storage and hopefully a wine cellar 'fridge' in there as well. Obviously, I will need to serve some beer warm too, to satisfy my yank friends perception of us Brits

Been looking at the avs forum already - lots of good info. The cinema end of the room is going to be more casual than having the individual cinema seat arrangement though so it fits in with the bar being at the other end.

Oh, and to anyone that doesn't see the point in a home bar, that's your prerogative of course. But, after going through hell buying a house at all here, I don't plan on buying another so I'm gonna do what the hell I want to this one!
Oh I wouldn't say no to a drink
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

If they are used by hired staff for parties they have a point, those are enormous ones though.
Exactly.
And those parties usually do not happen in the den/ room with the TV.
And those bars (any bar that is highly functional, and to the point, more functional for preparing drinks than your kitchen) look nothing like the photos posted here.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 6:55 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I remember living in MA where a few lucky people had basements bars, fully finished basements with a proper bar area, darts, pool tables, seating areas, bowling alleys etc
After hitting the bars on Main street they would always invite us back to their bars after closing time and we would often hang out their until the early hours. Some people were were in a band together and they often played. You could have loud music and smoke cigars, watch TV play pool etc we would often just fall asleep on the sofas wake up and then go down the road for a bacon and egg breakfast.

All before I had kids of course.

I wish i could have my own basement bar, but with a skittle alley not a bowling alley