Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thomas Cook goes under

Thomas Cook goes under

Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas Cook goes under

Originally Posted by jeepster
With the hundreds of thousands of people involved, of course they should have been bailed out.
What does the fact that hundreds of thousands of people are involved have to do with it?

Thomas Cook is part of a dying breed of travel agents, who have failed to keep up with changing consumer demand and the rise of the internet. The business has no sustainable future, and I'm struggling to see any long-term game plan where the country benefits from an injection of hundreds of millions of pounds worth of taxpayer's money that is just going to go up in smoke.

Those who are stuck abroad will be able to make it back to the UK via ATOL and the CAA regardless of whether or not the company goes into public ownership, so it's not going to materially impact the public either way.

I feel genuinely sorry for those who are going to be losing their jobs, but I just don't see how injecting public money or nationalizing the company is really going to make a difference; the Scottish Government STILL owns Prestwick Airport after nationalizing it for a pound and is STILL throwing millions away each year plugging the holes in it's finances.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I reluctantly supported Obama's bank bailouts (and GM bailout) back in 2008 due to the cascading nature of the failures back then, but I'm not so sure I'd be happy to see a bailout of a single airline. Airlines are in a cutthroat business, for sure, but it's not clear to me that their failure is catastrophic. Other airlines typically step in, and I suspect the net-loss of jobs won't be significant over time - I imagine all these employees of TC will get rehired by other airlines soon. Bailouts just encourage bad business decisions.
If it was just an airline then I'd actually have less of a problem injecting cash, as you can put the company into administration whilst you liquidate the assets or find a buyer - aircraft and landing slots will always be useful to their competitors.

The issue here is that Thomas Cook is a budget package holiday company rather than just an airline, and that business has been dying on it's arse for years - there's no real future for the company as a going concern.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'll believe this when I see it....WOW air relaunch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...eady-take-off/
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

and the German government manages to bailout Condor - a thomas cook company.
https://onemileatatime.com/condor-airlines-future/
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

TC were a minority shareholder and Condor made money. TC had been approached to sell it recently.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
and the German government manages to bailout Condor - a thomas cook company.
https://onemileatatime.com/condor-airlines-future/
Condor was profitable though, and just needed liquidity support so they didn’t tank along with the parent company.

There’s a bit of a difference between providing liquidity support and bailing out an operation that’s loss-making as a whole.

Old Sep 25th 2019, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot

Condor was profitable though, and just needed liquidity support so they didn’t tank along with the parent company.

There’s a bit of a difference between providing liquidity support and bailing out an operation that’s loss-making as a whole.

I was about to post pretty much the same thing. Condor is an airline not a travel company with an anti-diluvium business model. I still wonder whether this assistance will fall foul of EU competition rules though.

Really, the collapse of the airline part of Thomas Cook is a classic case of one part of a business killing a part that could have been a going concern.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 25th 2019 at 4:14 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I was about to post pretty much the same thing. Condor is an airline not a travel company with an anti-diluvium business model. I still wonder whether this assistance will fall foul of EU competition rules though.

Really, the collapse of the airline part of Thomas Cook is a classic case of one part of a business killing a part that could have been a going concern.
I've flown two round-trips to UK with TC so far, and I recall seeing quite a bit of 'Condor' branding; can't recall now if it was the boarding passes, aircraft markings, or what ... but I'm assuming my flight Saturday was to have been with TC, and not Condor ... (hope so now since I've 'disputed' the TC purchase (in order to get a refund) and bought a new ticket
Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've flown two round-trips to UK with TC so far, and I recall seeing quite a bit of 'Condor' branding; can't recall now if it was the boarding passes, aircraft markings, or what ... but I'm assuming my flight Saturday was to have been with TC, and not Condor ... (hope so now since I've 'disputed' the TC purchase (in order to get a refund) and bought a new ticket
I think there's been a lot of interchange of aircraft and staff between TC and Condor.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Update - it cost me a total of $134 to make FOUR seat reservations on Air Canada - 2 x $25 for the north american flights, 2x$42 for the atlantic flights. Bit more than I was hoping for but - I'm too old / too picky these days to risk being stuck at the back and/or in the middle. My original TC reservation price mentioned above included $110 for seat reservations.
That sucks...

I used to fly Air Canada to Manchester 25 years ago and unless someone else picks up the SFO to Manchester route, it's looking like a good bet for my out to Manchester, back from Glasgow/Edinburgh trip next year.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That sucks...

I used to fly Air Canada to Manchester 25 years ago and unless someone else picks up the SFO to Manchester route, it's looking like a good bet for my out to Manchester, back from Glasgow/Edinburgh trip next year.
be sure to bundle a car in with that purchase
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Air Canada makes it easy for Americans to connect in Toronto....

Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty easy to connect from US to elsewhere via Vancouver as well, but in Vancouver it's mostly western US passengers connecting to Asia in Vancouver.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
well, the cynic in me notices that this was BIG headlines in the UK press at a time when the UK Supreme Court was deciding what to do about Boris behaving like an autocrat. Diversion tactic.

I wonder what the German government will do about Condor?
https://simpleflying.com/what-will-happen-to-condor/
Once again the German taxpayer will foot the bill.
May be LH will take them in.

Old Sep 26th 2019, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Once again the German taxpayer will foot the bill.
There's a different between providing liquidity support to a going concern, and just handing money over to a loss-making enterprise.

Since this is just operating capital for a profitable business, I have no doubt that the German taxpayer will be getting every Euro back in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.