Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thomas Cook goes under

Thomas Cook goes under

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thomas Cook goes under

They had more non UK customers than those from the UK, not sure what those Countries are doing.

They did not just do package holidays.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
I'm glad to see that the government chose not to bail them out.
The shareholders and management need to be held accountable.
With the hundreds of thousands of people involved, of course they should have been bailed out. Why not? Fairy tales about free markets...free markets don't exist. Someone, somewhere has their thumb on the scale.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 4:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No-one is stranded, all package holidays are ATOL protected so people will continue their holiday in the normal way, the only problem might be that they are flown back to a different airport than the one tjhey started from, they will then be bussed to the correct airport to collect cars etc.
If I've read the news reports correctly Mike (and I may well not have!), then TC package holidays are indeed ATOL protected, but bookings for flights only aren't.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

For someone living in San Francisco, TC's predictable demise is too bad. We waited a long time to get non stop service to somewhere other than London. Last year both Virgin Atlantic and TC flew to Manchster from SFO. Virgin moved their service to Los Angeles this year. And so we're now down to zero. And with the demise of WOW and TC, plus the possible demise of Norwegian, I suspect the other carriers are going to jack up their west coast to UK prices moving forward.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No-one is stranded, all package holidays are ATOL protected so people will continue their holiday in the normal way, the only problem might be that they are flown back to a different airport than the one tjhey started from, they will then be bussed to the correct airport to collect cars etc.
As I posted above - .. the 'fine print' on my purchase;
"This sale is not ATOL protected. For further information please see ...

Not sure if this is because I purchased a US originating ticket, or if it's because I purchased a 'travel only' ticket, or both ... but no ATOL protection on my trip. Since I haven't departed, I'm not 'stranded' as such but I need to get to UK for an important family medical situation, so there is some pressure to find a replacement.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Not sure if this is because I purchased a US originating ticket, or if it's because I purchased a 'travel only' ticket, or both ... but no ATOL protection on my trip. Since I haven't departed, I'm not 'stranded' as such but I need to get to UK for an important family medical situation, so there is some pressure to find a replacement.
They are making it quite clear on the news that “flights only” travel are not automatically covered by insurance (ATOL) and that includes flights originating in the UK. A spokeswoman from the government on the BBC news this morning was asked why the CAA are arranging flights to bring home those with only flights booked and no insurance, and she said that it was the right thing to do given the sheer scale of the problem.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear about your situation Steerpike. It's stressful enough to have an ill family member so far away, without having to worry about this. I hope you can at least get the money you paid for your ticket back, and that you can find another flight at a reasonable cost.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 1:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bummer for you steerpike....
Not sure why Mikelincs had to go on about stranded ( in bold red, no less), it was just the headlines as they were appearing across the UK press. However, a few of my FB peeps have been sharing that it is just package holidays protected by ATOL.

Doesn't travel insurance cover this scenario?

I have also been reading about Norwegian Airlines, they seem ok for now but not sure I would book a flight for next summer for example. They have been a life saver for Austin -London flight costs - half the cost at least of BA and also direct. I will be very unhappy if they go under as well.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 1:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
With the hundreds of thousands of people involved, of course they should have been bailed out. Why not? Fairy tales about free markets...free markets don't exist. Someone, somewhere has their thumb on the scale.
well, the cynic in me notices that this was BIG headlines in the UK press at a time when the UK Supreme Court was deciding what to do about Boris behaving like an autocrat. Diversion tactic.

I wonder what the German government will do about Condor?
https://simpleflying.com/what-will-happen-to-condor/
Old Sep 24th 2019, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
well, the cynic in me notices that this was BIG headlines in the UK press at a time when the UK Supreme Court was deciding what to do about Boris behaving like an autocrat. Diversion tactic.

I wonder what the German government will do about Condor?
https://simpleflying.com/what-will-happen-to-condor/
I was wondering about that. A collapse would affect Alaska too - they run services to Frankfurt from both Anchorage and Fairbanks. The only other way to Europe that doesn't connect elsewhere in the US is Iceland air through Reykjavik.

Last edited by Owen778; Sep 24th 2019 at 3:13 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Both. ATOL covers only "packages" bought for departing UK customers. You'll get the flight cost back from your credit card but of course that doesn't solve your issue. Hope the Norwegian idea works out.

I'm now wondering what to do about my next UK trip. Plan was the fly TC to Manchester and then find a way to return from Edinburgh. Was thinking of throwing the Faroe Islands into the hopper too.

Old Sep 24th 2019, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Both. ATOL covers only "packages" bought for departing UK customers. You'll get the flight cost back from your credit card but of course that doesn't solve your issue. Hope the Norwegian idea works out.

I'm now wondering what to do about my next UK trip. Plan was the fly TC to Manchester and then find a way to return from Edinburgh. Was thinking of throwing the Faroe Islands into the hopper too.
Update - very good news, I think!

I called Auto Europe to cancel my car rental, which was for the same period (9/28 -> 10/12) as the flight. The guy was very cooperative. I mentioned, in passing, that I was canceling because of the collapse of TC, and he asked if I'd like to speak to their airline folks. My instinct was to say no, as this was a 'sales pitch', but I decided to give it a go. I immediately got connected to a very helpful guy (speaking perfect English), who quickly found me a flight 10/1 -> 10/14 for $1,252, flight only. But then I mentioned I needed a car, and that opened up a whole new avenue.

Within minutes, he had a deal for me that had a TOTAL price of $1,066, INCLUDING the same car rental deal (automatic, Vauxhall Astra, etc). He actually had two options for almost the same price - non-stop SFO->LHR on United, or, one-stop SFO->MAN on Air Canada with 2 hr layover in Toronto (incl. baggage). I opted for the LHR->MAN via Toronto, as I don't mind stretching my legs mid-way, and driving 'up north' from London isn't too appealing these days (and I'd need a hotel on my last night in London).

I've read on these forums more than once that 'bundling' is the way to go; I never thought I could simply call someone and have them figure it all out for me! (I tend to prefer to duke it out with various web-sites, but clearly, these people know how to 'drive' the system and find things that I'd probably never see!)

So my original flight on TC, plus car rental, was costing me a total of $937 (3 month advance purchase); this package (flight and car) is costing me $1,016 with only 7 days advance purchase! I do have to change planes, and I do have to pay another fee to reserve seats, but I'm quite pleased under the circumstances!

I need to fly this route every 3 months so I'm going to call these guys every time from now on (1-800 fly Europe, a division of auto-europe).
Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news on the new arrangements. Well done.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Update - very good news, I think!

I called Auto Europe to cancel my car rental, which was for the same period (9/28 -> 10/12) as the flight. The guy was very cooperative. I mentioned, in passing, that I was canceling because of the collapse of TC, and he asked if I'd like to speak to their airline folks. My instinct was to say no, as this was a 'sales pitch', but I decided to give it a go. I immediately got connected to a very helpful guy (speaking perfect English), who quickly found me a flight 10/1 -> 10/14 for $1,252, flight only. But then I mentioned I needed a car, and that opened up a whole new avenue.

Within minutes, he had a deal for me that had a TOTAL price of $1,066, INCLUDING the same car rental deal (automatic, Vauxhall Astra, etc). He actually had two options for almost the same price - non-stop SFO->LHR on United, or, one-stop SFO->MAN on Air Canada with 2 hr layover in Toronto (incl. baggage). I opted for the LHR->MAN via Toronto, as I don't mind stretching my legs mid-way, and driving 'up north' from London isn't too appealing these days (and I'd need a hotel on my last night in London).

I've read on these forums more than once that 'bundling' is the way to go; I never thought I could simply call someone and have them figure it all out for me! (I tend to prefer to duke it out with various web-sites, but clearly, these people know how to 'drive' the system and find things that I'd probably never see!)

So my original flight on TC, plus car rental, was costing me a total of $937 (3 month advance purchase); this package (flight and car) is costing me $1,016 with only 7 days advance purchase! I do have to change planes, and I do have to pay another fee to reserve seats, but I'm quite pleased under the circumstances!

I need to fly this route every 3 months so I'm going to call these guys every time from now on (1-800 fly Europe, a division of auto-europe).
Update - it cost me a total of $134 to make FOUR seat reservations on Air Canada - 2 x $25 for the north american flights, 2x$42 for the atlantic flights. Bit more than I was hoping for but - I'm too old / too picky these days to risk being stuck at the back and/or in the middle. My original TC reservation price mentioned above included $110 for seat reservations.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jeepster
I reluctantly supported Obama's bank bailouts (and GM bailout) back in 2008 due to the cascading nature of the failures back then, but I'm not so sure I'd be happy to see a bailout of a single airline. Airlines are in a cutthroat business, for sure, but it's not clear to me that their failure is catastrophic. Other airlines typically step in, and I suspect the net-loss of jobs won't be significant over time - I imagine all these employees of TC will get rehired by other airlines soon. Bailouts just encourage bad business decisions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.