Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thinking About Switching to Xfinity/Comcast

Thinking About Switching to Xfinity/Comcast

Old Mar 14th 2018, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking About Switching to Xfinity/Comcast

Right now we’ve been with our current Internet/Cable Provider for 3+years and our bills have skyrocketed to $120+ (just for Internet/Tv and no phone line). Found a better deal with Xfinity for $50 (first year and after that it’s $75-still cheaper than our current cable). But after having read some of the reviews having 2nd thoughts now.

My questions are-
1: Are any of with Xfinity/Comcast right now and if so have you had any issues with them?
2: Do you sign up first for the new service and then cancel the current one or is it the other way round?
3: What’s your avg Internet/Cable bill? Does $120+ seem excessive for without a phone line or is it reasonable?

Any ideas welcome
Old Mar 14th 2018, 6:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking About Switching to Xfinity/Comcast

Xfinity/Comcast is the only provider other than Direct TV in our area. Internet/Cable/Landline is $156 a month and it is not HD television (which is extra) and no premium channels (which are extra) and the price goes up annually.

Internet is spotty and the landline fails when it rains. Takes 4 or more days for repair service.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Frontier/Verizon years ago an never looked back. Comcast gets bad reviews, but I can't speak highly enough for them compared to the competition. Customer service is generally fast and competent. I love the X1 system, being able to watch my DVR remotely and download DVR content to my phone offline. Also can stream any of your subscribed TV content to your phone/tablet.

I just have 150 MBs , but that is way more than enough.

I sounds like service may vary across the country.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 7:01 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

We have been with them for about 15 years.
Creep sets in and the bills soon rise.
But the service is good compared to the local competition. Well, there is none.
Love the X1 system. Occasionally it goes down, the customer service is pretty good, as long as you don't have to go to the store and join the wait of 30 + customers inline.

Monthly bill is about $160 with internet and cable, renting their modem.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just moved to Atlanta and went for Xfinity, I pretty much matched our contract with the Spectrum contract I had in Los Angeles. I paid a gnats under $200 for T'internet, telly and landline (my wife records all sorts).

I got the equivalent here for $170, the engineer came on time, set us up quick, and so far so good, T'internet is very quick, we have the X1 box which I love.

Most people in the apartments say its a good service, ATT being the other option, and I quote "they suck a55"

Last edited by dj6372; Mar 14th 2018 at 9:50 pm. Reason: spelling!!
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I've just moved to Atlanta and went for Xfinity, I pretty much matched our contract with the Spectrum contract I had in Los Angeles. I paid a gnats under $200 for T'internet, telly and landline .....
You must be buying a lot of telly - we're paying Spectrum about $75 for t'internet. No telly, no phone, then Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Vonage.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing with Comcast is that they have data caps. I have never exceeded the cap, but I have heard the cap is lower for internet only customers.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I went from AT&T U verse to xfinity about 15 months ago. For me, I would say it’s like swapping from Virgin media to sky. AT&T was ok and did a job, the Comcast service knocks The u-verse service out of the park in every division. Picture quality seems better (may be my imagination), the graphics and layout of the guide are way better with Comcast. The box has way more features (I don’t remember being able to watch recordings on my box from my phone with AT&T), bigger and better on demand library, and finally, internet service is light years faster. We do pay quite a bit as we are on a top package, but after being totally
Underwhelmed by AT&T’s service, I’d thoroughly recommend Comcast.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:58 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The only thing with Comcast is that they have data caps. I have never exceeded the cap, but I have heard the cap is lower for internet only customers.
I would certainly be worried by it, I tend to hover around 1TB a month and most of my streaming is done in SD, if I bumped it up to HD or better I'd blow through my TB cap as well.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:03 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I would certainly be worried by it, I tend to hover around 1TB a month and most of my streaming is done in SD, if I bumped it up to HD or better I'd blow through my TB cap as well.
We stream alot of netfix, acorn , hulu ect but never ger near the cap.
Mind you, Jnr is home for spring break, god knows what hes watching but the data numbers are way up there.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You must be buying a lot of telly - we're paying Spectrum about $75 for t'internet. No telly, no phone, then Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Vonage.
Mrs DJ records a lot of cr4p (my opinion )

I watch very little, mainly hockey/football/rugby but I usually stream this as Mrs DJ has the TV monopoly!!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The key thing with Xfinity/Comcast, and also with Cox, is that you need to re-negotiate every year. They happily give you good deals (relatively speaking) for 1 year, and then after that year the rate goes way up and if you don't catch it and re-negotiate, you end up paying too much. So each year, just resolve to hassle with them on the phone for a while and they will typically give you a decent deal for another year.

I have data and TV, with DVR and HD. I am slowly getting better with streaming services but for now I like the convenience of having the TV service.

Their customer service tends to be good (local US support). They've also integrated Netflix into their service, which is interesting.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

We have Comcast. My Wife's sisters boyfriend (elaborate) works for Comcast and got us an okay deal. The service and speed is pretty shoddy but I think that's due to in issue within our area as my neighbors using the same service have mentioned the terrible speeds too.

Other than that, customer service is pretty good and the pricing seems far although as I said we get an employee discount but even their regular pricing seems good. There isn't really much choice here in CO anyway.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, the replies on here seem pretty reasonable and true compared to the awful reviews that I read on Facebook Went ahead and signed up for their service for $60 (for the first year after that $116) which includes Internet upto 150mbps and 100+ channels. Way better deal than our current service (RCN) where speeds are only upto 50mbps and basic limited channels. Installation is next week so hoping that the speeds live upto what they claim.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
I read that. It didnt mention anything for the Internet/TV combination but for Internet only service it mentioned a cap of 1TB. Thank you for pointing that out. Otherwise I wouldn't have known to check. We stream Netflix around once/twice a week and other times watch some tv shows online. Hubby tends to work from home a lot especially if theres a snowstorm but thats all mostly the internet is used for so hoping that 1TB is going to be sufficient (if there is a cap considering we signed up for both Internet/TV).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.