Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you like about the US

Things you like about the US

Old Sep 4th 2017, 12:50 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you like about the US

Originally Posted by dc koop
Most have no wish to leave anyway. There's more than enough to see and do here.
Lovely, carry on with that thought.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

That is something I will never understand There's a huge amazing world out there, so diverse from the US, why do people not want to go experience it? The US has some fantastic places, I won't deny that, but there's so much more to see and do!
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
That is something I will never understand There's a huge amazing world out there, so diverse from the US, why do people not want to go experience it? The US has some fantastic places, I won't deny that, but there's so much more to see and do!
Every time I go to Europe there seem to be plenty of Americans about. Maybe they tend not to go to the places typical Brits go to get drunk lay on the beach and get into brawls. Having a passport and going to Benidorm etc is not exactly seeing the world.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 2:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Money stops a lot of people, world travel isn't cheap.

Lack of vacation time, can be hard for US workers to get enough time off in one block to make a long international trip viable.

I'd love to travel the world, but it's not something we could ever afford, nor get enough time off in a year in one block to do. (we are in Canada not the US but we are not exactly flush with annual vacation time, although we are slightly a head of the US.)
Old Sep 4th 2017, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Every time I go to Europe there seem to be plenty of Americans about. Maybe they tend not to go to the places typical Brits go to get drunk lay on the beach and get into brawls. Having a passport and going to Benidorm etc is not exactly seeing the world.
I said the world not Spain I was thinking more along the lines of Egypt for the pyramids, Italy (so many places & things to see), China, Africa, Australia....not every Brit wants to get drunk or brawl, maybe pick another part of Europe other than Benidorm next time (never been to be fair so can't really comment)
Old Sep 4th 2017, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Lack of vacation time, can be hard for US workers to get enough time off in one block to make a long international trip viable.

I'd love to travel the world, but it's not something we could ever afford, nor get enough time off in a year in one block to do. (we are in Canada not the US but we are not exactly flush with annual vacation time, although we are slightly a head of the US.)
True it's not cheap and such a shame you can't get the time off. I understand the things that can get in the way but wanting to travel still, its the not actually wanting to go outside ones own country I don't understand Canada also has some beautiful places, my sister in law lives in Fernie, BC
Old Sep 4th 2017, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I said the world not Spain I was thinking more along the lines of Egypt for the pyramids, Italy (so many places & things to see), China, Africa, Australia....not every Brit wants to get drunk or brawl, maybe pick another part of Europe other than Benidorm next time (never been to be fair so can't really comment)
Not every Brit but a large number of British Passport holder do go to resorts similar to Benidorm.
Having a passport doesn't mean one has a a world view is my point. The recent Brexit vote seems to suggest otherwise.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 10:40 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit has nothing to do with ones world view, unless you subscribe to the rabid zenophobic thoughts about it, its a sane decision about being able to control your trade and borders.

Yes i do get the benidorn thing, i have been to a few full of puking americans, south beach miami, las vegas and cancun spring to mind...

Effectively every country has them, most of the good ole boys in murica cant get out [back to lack of passports] so stick to domestic gnats pixxx [there are absolutely good american craft beers, i feel its probably considered unpatriotic by murican lager louts to drink them when bud light exists... Of course the eastern europeans think thats a total travesty - which i think i agree with...]

Ps benidorm is somewhat old hat, you need to look at sunny beach in bulgaria...

Last edited by uk_grenada; Sep 4th 2017 at 10:47 am.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. If Americans lived on a tiny island with 70 million people they would travel more.
I have been to thirty countries and coming to the conclusion that travel is a giant pain in the ass. I still like an occasional in country 3 or 4 thousand mile road trip.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:03 pm. Reason: Fixed quote. Plse check the quotes.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I agree. If Americans lived on a tiny island with 70 million people they would travel more.
I have been to thirty countries and coming to the conclusion that travel is a giant pain in the ass. I still like an occasional in country 3 or 4 thousand mile road trip.
Lol, its like the facebook method of dumbing down thought, if you only see your own countrymen you only experience what they have experienced which frequently isnt much. I really dont want to denegrate americans but in a real sense they need to get out or get more diverse information.

For example, american news, its a travesty, if it happened outside the border it didnt happen unless theres some impact on america directly. Im betting if i asked 100 americans what they thought of the current german elections 95 wouldnt know they existed. If i said how about the situation regarding rare earth mining and china globally - similarly - though thats capable of massive impact on america / anyone the chinese choose to disadvantage.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:20 pm. Reason: Cocked up quote
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The quotes!!

Please check the quotes after posting and correct accordingly. Thanks

http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-...rectly-873146/
Old Sep 4th 2017, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Yes the lack of vacation time, and cost of travel to many parts of the world stop many from travelling, but there are many Americans I have met who have little interest in travelling especially the widespread belief that America is number one in everything.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2017 at 1:27 pm. Reason: Cocked up quote
Old Sep 4th 2017, 2:42 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

"Things you like about America" has unsurprisingly degenerated into "Americans: ignorant, arrogant, fat idiots. They're ugly too.". Terrific job, everyone.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
"Things you like about America" has unsurprisingly degenerated into "Americans: ignorant, arrogant, fat idiots. They're ugly too.". Terrific job, everyone.
Gosh, you escalated that quickly, we were i think only on ignorance of wider world affairs caused by lack of quality news, plus the dislike or perceived feeling that foreign isnt a good thing generically. So, arrogant ugly fat and stupid, could you expand on that?

Only kidding, we could be here forever, start a new thread on any of those subjects if you want.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Sep 4th 2017 at 2:57 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 3:12 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

What I love, love, love about the USA are the cinemas.

Austin is not particularly big but we have some really great independants - Alamo movie theaters, Violet crown- that don't just show some great films but also make it into a whole themed show. The annual "love actually" screening at the Alamo is an absolute hoot...with props, themed cocktails and the best lines up on the screen so everyone can say them together...

A few weeks ago when the temperature was getting up to 104F I went to watch Dunkirk in the middle of the afternoon - sat in a bit-too-cold air conditioned cinema, feet up in a comfy leather recliner with waiters serving me ice cold wine. I sat there and just thought "this is the life"!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.