Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you like about the US

Things you like about the US

Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:19 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you like about the US

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I was going to say, that would be a hell of a vantage point if you could see Langley from the Hudson
I assumed it was a field office of some kind. I then inquired as to why they would have a swanky/visible office, to where a kind passer by pointed out it was a cooking school, as my family were too busy laughing. B******s.

Let the record show, I used to pass a highly visible, highly secretive building on my way to/from London every day and assumed this was a similar gig.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
I assumed it was a field office of some kind. I then inquired as to why they would have a swanky/visible office, to where a kind passer by pointed out it was a cooking school, as my family were too busy laughing. B******s.

Let the record show, I used to pass a highly visible, highly secretive building on my way to/from London every day and assumed this was a similar gig.
The last thing anyone would expect is that the CIA would have such a highly visible office. The culinary school is just a front, you were the only one to see through it.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Let the record show, I used to pass a highly visible, highly secretive building on my way to/from London every day and assumed this was a similar gig.
You mean the one that has featured in five James Bond films?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:52 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You mean the one that has featured in five James Bond films?
featured with express permission of HM Government, as photographing said building was and still is an offence

I do recall seeing as part of the London skyline... some sort of telecommunications tower I believe (lol), purposely visible from most locations but kept off-maps and remaining as a state secret till the mid 90's?

Just because it's there Mr. P, doesn't mean It's there .
Old Jan 12th 2017, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

featured with express permission of HM Government, as photographing said building was and still is an offence. ....

I do recall seeing as part of the London skyline... some sort of telecommunications tower I believe (lol), purposely visible from most locations but kept off-maps and remaining as a state secret till the mid 90's?

Just because it's there Mr. P, doesn't mean It's there. .....
I learned a few days ago that GCHQ is creating an annexe in the office building next to the Sainsbury's where my mother shops. The anti-tank defences, and ten foot fence topped with rolls of razor wire are a bit of a give away!

If I disappear, it will probably be because I shared this information.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:03 pm
Sasstronaut

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If I disappear, it will probably be because I shared this information.
I hear the distant sound of black hawk helicopters heading in your direction Mr. P.

Not that I've ever visited said (older/main) facility, but I've heard that there are controls that can close the window blinds that overlook the reception area when press/other non-vetted types are in the area. Nosy parkers.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:16 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britspark
I did a search (browsed the last 6 pages and did a search for the word like) and could not find a post on this already although there was one that was close but not descriptive enough on the positive side.

I'm interested in hearing what people like about the US over the UK. I'm NOT interested in hearing the opposite so please do not post reasons why you don't like the US nor respond to anyone that does.

As mentioned in a previous post I'm swaying between returning to the US or staying in the UK so would be interested in things you like about the US and which city or state you live in. Doesn't have to be an extensive explanation just e ough to remind me if the good things I'd be giving up if I go back.

*** disclaimer ***
It goes without saying that everyone's view is their subjective opinion not fact. Therefore there's no need to shout out your disagreement on any points

Right I'll begin..

NYC
1. People are friendlier than London
2. Pound for er pound, more common to live in fancy high rise apartments (think there's less such buildings in London)

3. A nicer bar scene

4. Summer in NYC is AMAZING, the whole place is buzzing

5. Seamless.com

6. Beach within easy reach

7. Brunch culture is more prevalent (I.e. An alternative to simply meeting up in the pub to catch up with people

8. A wealth of amazing countryside that you could never ever exhaust

Disagree? Remember my disclaimer... :-)
New Yorkers are friendly? LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old Jan 13th 2017, 1:57 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Kirkland Signature European cookies from Costco. Always like a box of these at Christmas
Old Jan 13th 2017, 1:27 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Kirkland Signature European cookies from Costco. Always like a box of these at Christmas
We get one of the enormous tins of Walker's All Butter Shortbread. It seems to be lasting longer this year, maybe something to do with one teenaged boy being in the UK???
Old Jan 13th 2017, 4:59 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We get one of the enormous tins of Walker's All Butter Shortbread. It seems to be lasting longer this year, maybe something to do with one teenaged boy being in the UK???
We have three grand kids who are over at the house almost every day yet the tin is still about two thirds full. Kids are very strange these days
Old Jan 14th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

In-n-out, Carls Jr, Jack in the Crack, The taco street vendor.........

TBH I 'm pretty sure the thing I will miss most is Taco's/Mexican food, possibly working with 99% Latino's has pushed me this way but god the food is good, some of it looks appalling but tastes good.

I tried corn tamales the other day, smashed up corn that is sweet, one of the ladies brings me stuff to try, they were yummy!!

But I learnt my lesson, when they say 'not too hot' it generally means trouser shredding lava!!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:44 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
In-n-out, Carls Jr, Jack in the Crack, The taco street vendor.........

TBH I 'm pretty sure the thing I will miss most is Taco's/Mexican food, possibly working with 99% Latino's has pushed me this way but god the food is good, some of it looks appalling but tastes good.

I tried corn tamales the other day, smashed up corn that is sweet, one of the ladies brings me stuff to try, they were yummy!!

But I learnt my lesson, when they say 'not too hot' it generally means trouser shredding lava!!
I do like most Mexican food, but tamales?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong

Almost 28 years here and I still cannot eat them.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Almost 28 years here and I still cannot eat them.
You are typing words but they make no sense. Stop this now.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 7:02 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
You are typing words but they make no sense. Stop this now.
I tried to find a picture for you, but apparently Sugarmooma and I are very much in the minority on this one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.