Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you like about the US

Things you like about the US

Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you like about the US

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Yup yup, on the MTA, once it gets past yonkers it starts following the Hudson and get tons of green foliage
I guess when you consider just how bloody big the US actually is, things like this make sense. After all, rural counties make up 72% of the land area of the US.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I guess when you consider just how bloody big the US actually is, things like this make sense. After all, rural counties make up 72% of the land area of the US.

Very true. When I first arrived (and, like livinginyc, took the train out of the city), I was amazed by how rapidly we were in the country -- and I do mean country, not just suburbia. I had been expecting mile upon mile of urban sprawl and was very pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:57 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

One of the most interesting parts of the journey on the rail line I usually take - you go through the middle of sing-sing prison
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Very true. When I first arrived (and, like livinginyc, took the train out of the city), I was amazed by how rapidly we were in the country -- and I do mean country, not just suburbia. I had been expecting mile upon mile of urban sprawl and was very pleasantly surprised.
One of these days I'd love to take a really long train journey here. Something like Chicago to LA, right through the southwest or something. I'd be glued to the window like a kid in a candy store

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
One of the most interesting parts of the journey on the rail line I usually take - you go through the middle of sing-sing prison
That's ... interesting.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:02 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I was amazed by how rapidly we were in the country -- and I do mean country, not just suburbia.
Literally, the road/pavement literally 'stops' at a certain point down the rail, and then you get bits of humanity again when you hit cute little towns
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can top that, I went to California a couple of years ago and never made it to an In N' Out.

Oh well, now I suppose I have to go back there again. Oh no, whatever will I do ... ?
I can top that, I live in California and have never been in an 'In N' Out 'Burger.
Well I did go in once, but went straight out. I was having my car smoged and thought I'd go and get breakfast, I didn't know they only did burgers.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I can top that, I live in California and have never been in an 'In N' Out 'Burger.
Well I did go in once, but went straight out. I was having my car smoged and thought I'd go and get breakfast, I didn't know they only did burgers.
Yes, you win
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
The fact you got all the way to the counter and got no burger, means you definitely win!

I miss in n out burgers. A lot.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:25 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the hype about In-N-Out, tbh.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

Snobbery is not an attractive quality, so take issue all you want but you sort of lose credibility when you start claiming your definition of "real" somehow beats mine as if subjectivity is something that can be quantified.

I'm interested in all kinds of architecture, from 12th century Gothic, all the way through to the modern skyscraper. There is a castle from 1174 less than two miles from where I grew up. Belfast has some beautiful Georgian rowhomes but I'm still a sucker for the Chicago skyline. Sue me.
You've managed to completely misunderstand and call me a snob. Well done. I took issue with your use of the word 'proper' to describe American cities. By that thinking, European cities (except maybe Frankfurt) aren't 'proper' cities because they don't resemble homages to capitalism full of shiny skyscrapers.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:43 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambey2510
The fact you got all the way to the counter and got no burger, means you definitely win!

I miss in n out burgers. A lot.
You kind of prefer the fare that the Arches, Burger King and Carls Jnr put out then I assume?

Limp looking lettuce, soggy buns and patties dripping in fat with re-constituted fries. The tomatoes are okay though but then again I defy anyone to screw up a tomato or a dill pickle

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 10th 2017 at 4:48 am.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
You kind of prefer the fare that the Arches, Burger King and Carls Jnr put out then I assume?

Limp looking lettuce, soggy buns and patties dripping in fat with re-constituted fries. The tomatoes are okay though but then again I defy anyone to screw up a tomato or a dill pickle
Nope! You're wrong!

Burgers are my ultimate favourite food and I've had tonnes better in the Chicago/St Louis area than in n out.

For me, it's not just the food of in n out, but rather the memories attached with going to in n out. I worked at a summer camp in Utah, and In n Out was the place we would all hit together on the weekend for greasy food in Summer 2012 after a week of working at camp, before then heading to Park City to drink the weekend away! It was a break and a haven to have food that wasn't camp food, away from kids and to relax. I guess in comparison to the camp food, it was gourmet! So yeah, more the memories, less the 'good' food i suppose.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by london_calling
You've managed to completely misunderstand and call me a snob. Well done. I took issue with your use of the word 'proper' to describe American cities. By that thinking, European cities (except maybe Frankfurt) aren't 'proper' cities because they don't resemble homages to capitalism full of shiny skyscrapers.
If I misunderstood you, I stand corrected and offer my apologies, but you're also misunderstanding me. I never once said non-American cities weren't proper cities, I just happen to like that I live very close to a city with a 'classic' (which is probably a better word, I'll concede) skyline full of tall buildings, which I enjoy from a purely architectural perspective. I can enjoy modern high-rise architecture without thinking about what's going on inside them, in the same way that thinking the Vatican is full of beautiful buildings without being an apologist for paedophilia.

All cities have their own merits, however this thread was about what I liked about the US and it isn't exclusionary. I like skyscrapers, where I grew up, there were none. Belfast has I think 2 buildings with more than 15 floors, Chicago has a bunch of them. Yeah, I like a good old fashioned American city with its sparkling downtown and its gritty industrial attachments and everything in between. I still love Gothic castles, Georgian rowhomes, 16th century cathedrals and all the other great stuff you find in Europe. This is an additive enjoyment of mine, not subtractive.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:05 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

What's the view of New York like from the Trump penthouse suite? Pretty awesome I would imagine, especially at night
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
What's the view of New York like from the Trump penthouse suite? Pretty awesome I would imagine, especially at night

Except that you're so blinded by the imitation Versailles golden bling in there that you can't focus to see out . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.