Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you like about the US

Things you like about the US

Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you like about the US

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I use almost all cash, and it's a pain to get cash from stores, way easier to drive up to an ATM which is the norm, not many go inside the bank to use the ATM anymore.

Cash is still popular with us low income folks, easier all around.
I actually love all the great credit card offerings in the US. The sign up bonuses and rewards earning structure are often not nearly as good in Europe and elsewhere.

I pay for just about everything with credit cards to take advantage of points and miles, using particular cards for particular bonus categories. Because I only charge what I would have spent anyway and pay off the entire balance each month, it works out the same as cash, except that I get to do a lot of free travel etc. Although airline miles and hotel points have become quite devalued, the more flexible bank points (e.g, Chase Ultimate Reward points or Amex Membership rewards points) are still quite good to accumulate and redeem.

Admittedly, I am not low income, but the same principle really applies regardless of income or spending; low income folks simply earn and redeem at a slower pace. Unless you cannot qualify for decent credit cards or are not disciplined about paying cards off each month, I think you leave a lot on the table by paying cash.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I can't understand why anyone would buy a ticket originating in the U.K. Before emigrating, I visited The Husband numerous times. If I couldn't get a staff ticket I would always go from Dublin, Oslo, Copenhagen or Stockholm and use air miles or easyJet to get to said departure point. My cheapest revenue ticket (not employee discounted) was Copenhagen to Seattle return for £121.52 - unfortunately it was Air Canada but for that price I'll put up with them. United from Oslo to Seattle were a close second at £135 and some change. Over the last 5 years I have never paid more than £280 return from Europe to the west coast.
So tickets originating in the UK are more expensive? High fees to use Heathrow, or what?

I use Air Canada, Ottawa to Heathrow, all the time and I think they have consistently excellent & reliable service. Have you had bad experiences with them?
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

Things I do like about the US: Tens of thousands of dollars worth of free/near-free travel paid for using credit card points!
Come to think of it, maybe we should just shut up about it in case they all get in on the game and devalue our points and miles further!
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
So tickets originating in the UK are more expensive? High fees to use Heathrow, or what?

I use Air Canada, Ottawa to Heathrow, all the time and I think they have consistently excellent & reliable service. Have you had bad experiences with them?
Tickets originating in the UK are often cheaper than tickets to the UK originating in the US.

However, UK does have large fees/taxes, so it can be much cheaper to fly into Dublin or other alternative. Also, TATL flights with BA on award flights incur huge "fuel surcharges" so I try to avoid BA for the TATL portion if flying to the UK or via the UK to Europe.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I can't understand why anyone would buy a ticket originating in the U.K. Before emigrating, I visited The Husband numerous times. If I couldn't get a staff ticket I would always go from Dublin, Oslo, Copenhagen or Stockholm and use air miles or easyJet to get to said departure point. My cheapest revenue ticket (not employee discounted) was Copenhagen to Seattle return for £121.52 - unfortunately it was Air Canada but for that price I'll put up with them. United from Oslo to Seattle were a close second at £135 and some change. Over the last 5 years I have never paid more than £280 return from Europe to the west coast.
How long ago was that ? I never considered Oslo, but a few times have chosen Dublin or Shannon.

Buying in states takes some doing on fares, and trying to do online I have found is not the most cost effective. Recently looked at airfares looking for price. (1) On same airline cheaper to buy a separate ticket to Chicago, then round trip ticket to UK than buying all the way through (2) through two different airlines, fly to Toronto first, the UK via Dublin. Both prices several hundred dollars less for two people than what could be found on computer as "lowest fare".

I remember in 80's and 90's regular air fares more expensive than US, but now with these package deals much better than the USA and more to offer- a few hundred pounds airfare or train to Paris for a few days with hotel.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Stores around here do it as well if you purchase from them. Most dont push the service or really advertise it. Just a screen that pops up on the screen.

Most can only give small amounts back however. If you need 900 for rent your not getting that cash back at a store...lol

Plus an ATM doesnt require a debit purchase and sometimes you need money and cant buy something such as when paying rent.

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Grocery stores around here practically beg you to want cash back. Saves them the time and expense of dealing with thousands of paper dollars every day.
Imagine a popular grocery store that did $100,000 per day all in cash versus 90% by debit card offering cash back.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 31st 2016 at 6:43 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
]I use Air Canada, Ottawa to Heathrow, all the time and I think they have consistently excellent & reliable service. Have you had bad experiences with them?
I believe they have improved a lot in recent years, but on one air travel forum I used to frequent about 20 years ago they were known as "Mapleflot".
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would like a rewards type card, and while my credit is fine, they deny me based on income being too low for that type of card.

I do have a credit card, the limit is so small it's effectively useless except for making small online purchases.

RBC for example on their travel credit card, min personal income is 60,000 or a household income of 100,000.

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
I actually love all the great credit card offerings in the US. The sign up bonuses and rewards earning structure are often not nearly as good in Europe and elsewhere.

I pay for just about everything with credit cards to take advantage of points and miles, using particular cards for particular bonus categories. Because I only charge what I would have spent anyway and pay off the entire balance each month, it works out the same as cash, except that I get to do a lot of free travel etc. Although airline miles and hotel points have become quite devalued, the more flexible bank points (e.g, Chase Ultimate Reward points or Amex Membership rewards points) are still quite good to accumulate and redeem.

Admittedly, I am not low income, but the same principle really applies regardless of income or spending; low income folks simply earn and redeem at a slower pace. Unless you cannot qualify for decent credit cards or are not disciplined about paying cards off each month, I think you leave a lot on the table by paying cash.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 31st 2016 at 7:02 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:01 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
How long ago was that ? I never considered Oslo, but a few times have chosen Dublin or Shannon.

Buying in states takes some doing on fares, and trying to do online I have found is not the most cost effective. Recently looked at airfares looking for price. (1) On same airline cheaper to buy a separate ticket to Chicago, then round trip ticket to UK than buying all the way through (2) through two different airlines, fly to Toronto first, the UK via Dublin. Both prices several hundred dollars less for two people than what could be found on computer as "lowest fare".

I remember in 80's and 90's regular air fares more expensive than US, but now with these package deals much better than the USA and more to offer- a few hundred pounds airfare or train to Paris for a few days with hotel.
My Air Canada bargain was November 2015. Not over Thanksgiving. Split tickets are often cheaper too. Often I would book from OSL/CPH/ARN to either LAS or LAX on one ticket and then onwards to SEA on another. Much cheaper, usually. In fact, the Air Canada came back via LHR (SEA - YVR - LHR - CPH) and as I was carry-on only after a week with The Husband (and had a bunch of things at his place) I no-showed on the final leg and went home from LHR. I often looked for routings that went via the UK on the way back or AMS so that I could take Flybe from AMS to SOU for roughly the same cost as the national express from LHR home. This almost backfired on me once when I found a super cheap ticket from OSL to SEA with a fuel dump sector on the way back to an obscure airport in northern Norway. The route back was SEA - AMS - OSL - BOO. Checked in at SEA to be told plane coming in from AMS had developed a mechanical problem en route and would not be returning as needed to be repaired. The agent was delighted to tell me I had been rebooked to BOO (where I had no intention of going) on an alternative route via Germany and somewhere else arriving at midnight. I was panicking too much to listen. Got online to find out how I could get from BOO to anywhere in the UK when, to my great relief, an announcement was made that the flight to AMS had been re-instated.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 8:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I believe they have improved a lot in recent years, but on one air travel forum I used to frequent about 20 years ago they were known as "Mapleflot".
I've heard complaints, especially about domestic flights. But I've used AC for twenty years, mostly transatlantic but also domestic, they've always been very good and reliable - certainly streets better than BA or any US carrier.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 12:52 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I have never had to pay a landing fee. Only two or three times in 48 years have I ever had to even pay a overnight tie down. AV gas here (TN) has been a good deal also between $3.40 and 3.80 for quite a while. When I started flying in 1969 in a Air Force flying club near Santa Maria, Ca I paid $7.00 per hour for a wet Cessna 150. I still could barely afford it on my measly enlisted military pay.
Vandenberg AFB? I spent 3 years there.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Vandenberg AFB? I spent 3 years there.
Yes, I spent about 2 1/2 years there. I worked at the tracking station between the base and Santa Maria. The one with the 60 foot dish under the huge radome. Was there from 68 to 71. I got out to go to college, and later took a year off from school to work as a civilian at Thule AFB Greenland.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 3:43 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Yes, I spent about 2 1/2 years there. I worked at the tracking station between the base and Santa Maria. The one with the 60 foot dish under the huge radome. Was there from 68 to 71. I got out to go to college, and later took a year off from school to work as a civilian at Thule AFB Greenland.
Thule AB has to be the coldest US military base, peak of summer around 45F for a high. I remember people jokingly being threatened with being transferred there.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:04 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm slowly becoming an Americanophile; I have come to see that our long term future is here and we will probably be here for a very long time if not for the rest of my life.

The little things I enjoy the most:
  • Salsa options
  • Cost of Levis
  • On a webpage, I don't have to scroll all the way down to the 'U' section as United States is always at the top
  • Turn right on a red
  • Dive through ATM's
  • Crushed ice straight from the fridge door
  • Self wash car wash. Hella fun with the kids.
  • Drive-thru everything
  • Sunshine
  • Palms
  • Eight lane freeways are actually exciting to drive on
  • Half and half in my coffee
  • Decent coffee
  • Landscaping/plants/fauana
  • Beaches
  • General positivity/friendliness
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by username.exe
I'm slowly becoming an Americanophile; I have come to see that our long term future is here and we will probably be here for a very long time if not for the rest of my life.

The little things I enjoy the most:
  • Salsa options
  • Cost of Levis
  • On a webpage, I don't have to scroll all the way down to the 'U' section as United States is always at the top
  • Turn right on a red
  • Dive through ATM's
  • Crushed ice straight from the fridge door
  • Self wash car wash. Hella fun with the kids.
  • Drive-thru everything
  • Sunshine
  • Palms
  • Eight lane freeways are actually exciting to drive on
  • Half and half in my coffee
  • Decent coffee
  • Landscaping/plants/fauana
  • Beaches
  • General positivity/friendliness
San Diego has the best weather in the US...provided you stay within 15 miles of the Pacific.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.