Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

There is a word I'm sure...

There is a word I'm sure...

Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

AJEastwood will become famous soon enough
Default There is a word I'm sure...

There is a word I'm sure... for asking a question to which one already knows the answer but...

1 I am an ex-pat Brit living in southern New Hampshire.
2 My son lives in the UK
3 He is visiting me in June 2012
4 We are intending to go to the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.
5 I am sure there will be little issue with him/me crossing the USA/Canadian border as I am sure that UK residents and green card holders (such as myself) are mostly exempt from restrictions where our travel plans are concerned.

The short question, therefore, is:
Has anyone had any problems getting into Canada from the USA if one has entered the USA from the UK and then travelled (with two Ls) to Canada and suffered immigration problems?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best wishes.

Tony

Last edited by AJEastwood; Dec 12th 2011 at 3:08 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There is a word I'm sure...

Neither of you should have any problems entering Canada assuming that you don't have any issues that would make you inadmissable (such as, for example, a conviction for drunk driving).
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem at all. Only thing to remember is to show your greencard even when entering Canada, since it makes life easier for them and they won't need to stamp your passport.

Your son may need to go into the office they have nearby to have a couple more questions and get a stamp in the passport. I did it many moons ago, so not sure if that is still entirely accurate.

Either way, shouldn't be a problem.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

AJEastwood will become famous soon enough

And... further to the question below... should I assume that re-entry into the U.S. from Canada will be no less difficult than the outward bound border crossing?

I just want to be sure there are no possible difficulties, and preparing for any eventualities. Neither of us has as much as a parking ticket, let alone drunk-driving or drug convictions. We didn't even go as far a "not inhaling" at college. Our elevation to sainthood isn't far off... though we know that would require a miracle too.

Originally Posted by AJEastwood
There is a word I'm sure... for asking a question to which one already knows the answer but...

1 I am an ex-pat Brit living in southern New Hampshire.
2 My son lives in the UK
3 He is visiting me in June 2012
4 We are intending to go to the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.
5 I am sure there will be little issue with him/me crossing the USA/Canadian border as I am sure that UK residents and green card holders (such as myself) are mostly exempt from restrictions where our travel plans are concerned.

The short question, therefore, is:
Has anyone had any problems getting into Canada from the USA if one has entered the USA from the UK and then travelled (with two Ls) to Canada and suffered immigration problems?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best wishes.

Tony
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, shouldn't be a problem at all. They'll ask how long you were in Canada and perhaps on what basis you got your greencard (I got that question at the border once).

Your son may get a couple more, but nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:46 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

I took my parents to Vancouver from Chicago a couple of years ago. No problem at all, in or out.