Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving v Christmas foods.

Thanksgiving v Christmas foods.

Old Dec 1st 2018, 10:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving v Christmas foods.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

At our house, stuffing was made with fine breadcrumbs mixed with beaten egg and dried parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. It was baked in the oven in a pie plate along with the roast and came out a bit crunchy on the outside and was sliced into triangles, like slicing a pie. I’d never seen stuffing made with cubes of bread before I came to the US.
That's how my mum made her stuffing too, and how I make it now. The only time I had stuffing (I want to say 'seasoning' instead ) in England it had pork mince in it. Couldn't take to that at all.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 10:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Now that in the US is not stuffing but dressing. Stuffing is when the bread mixture is put inside of the bird. Dressing is when it is baked outside of the bird. Now I have heard of your type of dressing using the breadcrumbs instead of the cubes and can see where the egg is needed if you are not using a broth to act as a binding agent which is what we tend to use when making the stuffing/dressing. I prepare enough so that the bird is stuffed and a baking dish is filled with the remainder and yes, I love the crunch of the dressing. Actually if you buy a small box of turkey seasoning, it lists all the herbs you listed above the only difference is finer bread and the egg. I like to make mine with onions, celery, the above spices and dried cranberries. I know some Italians I was friends with growing up their moms added fried Italian sausage and down in the south they often use Jimmy Dean's bulk sausage.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 11:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I will only eat one type of stuffing...Marks and Spencer’s pork and chestnut stuffing.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:03 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

We have stuffing balls.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We have stuffing balls.
I'm not going there
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn’t resist..

Old Dec 2nd 2018, 1:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
... in England it had pork mince in it. Couldn't take to that at all.
We called that forcemeat (North Yorkshire).
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 1:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
We called that forcemeat (North Yorkshire).
Ah! Incredible how many different names there are for essentially the same thing. Should have seen the deli lady's face the first (and only) time I asked for a stuffed chicken in Liverpool
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 1:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh we had the works - a pie tin of stuffing, stuffing balls, forcemeat, pigs in blankets (though we didn't call them that)...my mother used to get a tad carried away. She would never actually stuff the bird though, she thought that would lead to food poisoning.

As I've gatecrashed the US forum I feel obliged to comment on the only Thanksgiving meal I've ever had, which was actually in Singapore. As respect to my American host I did try to force down the marshmallows served with the turkey, covered in gravy, but it's not something I ever wish to do again.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 2:06 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Oh we had the works - a pie tin of stuffing, stuffing balls, forcemeat, pigs in blankets (though we didn't call them that)...my mother used to get a tad carried away. She would never actually stuff the bird though, she thought that would lead to food poisoning.

As I've gatecrashed the US forum I feel obliged to comment on the only Thanksgiving meal I've ever had, which was actually in Singapore. As respect to my American host I did try to force down the marshmallows served with the turkey, covered in gravy, but it's not something I ever wish to do again.
Marshmallows with gravy?! Yick!! What a nice person you are to even have a go at eating that.

I'm a gatecrasher here too, don't worry about it, their security guards are easy to bribe
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 2:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Marshmallows with gravy?! Yick!! What a nice person you are to even have a go at eating that.

I'm a gatecrasher here too, don't worry about it, their security guards are easy to bribe
Marshmallows are usually used as a topping for mashed sweet potatoes. It is served with the main course.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 2:13 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Marshmallows are usually used as a topping for mashed sweet potatoes. It is served with the main course.
I think that's how it was, JG. (TBH it was about 2002 and the turkey's button took so long to pop that we were quite relaxed by the time we ate, memory a bit vague.)
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 3:08 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Now that in the US is not stuffing but dressing. Stuffing is when the bread mixture is put inside of the bird. Dressing is when it is baked outside of the bird. Now I have heard of your type of dressing using the breadcrumbs instead of the cubes and can see where the egg is needed if you are not using a broth to act as a binding agent which is what we tend to use when making the stuffing/dressing. I prepare enough so that the bird is stuffed and a baking dish is filled with the remainder and yes, I love the crunch of the dressing. Actually if you buy a small box of turkey seasoning, it lists all the herbs you listed above the only difference is finer bread and the egg. I like to make mine with onions, celery, the above spices and dried cranberries. I know some Italians I was friends with growing up their moms added fried Italian sausage and down in the south they often use Jimmy Dean's bulk sausage.
Nowadays I put my own spin on the English-style stuffing, Rete, which involves adding lots of finely chopped onions and celery and fresh ground pepper, and moistening with chicken stock. It still gets baked in a pie tin and the outside still gets crunchy. I do my chestnut stuffing in a pan on the stovetop.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Marshmallows are not allowed on our sweet potatoes in this house or even in the cupboard. Prefer our SP's baked then split and sprinkled with butter and cinnamon. I will confess to a love of candied sweet potatoes from my youth and snuck them into the menu on Thanksgiving for Lisa and myself. Boil the sweet potatoes in large chunks and when nearly fork tender drain and put in a casserole dish with butter and dark brown sugar and a bit of orange juice and bake until the liquid has been nearly absorbed turning the potatoes occasionally to get all of the potatoes in the baking juice for flavor.

Jim's a fan of chestnuts and in season I would bring him home roasted chestnuts from the street vendor by Grand Central as a treat.
Old Dec 2nd 2018, 10:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I never tried roasted chestnuts until age 41 when I bought some from a street vendor in Turkey. Didn't like them.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.