Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving v Christmas foods.

Thanksgiving v Christmas foods.

Old Nov 30th 2018, 11:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Question Thanksgiving v Christmas foods.

I know that you guys traditionally have Thanksgiving dinner late afternoon on the 22nd Nov . This is a turkey with lots of trimmings AFAIK.

So what do you have for Christmas lunch or dinner ? Is that another turkey with all the trimmings or something different ?

For example, here in NZ they tend to go for a baked ham.
Old Nov 30th 2018, 11:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving v Christmas foods.

Growing up Thanksgiving was always eaten by 4 in the afternoon with turkey sandwiches about 8.

Being of German and Polish descent, we celebrated Christmas Eve, rather than Christmas Day. We would have a variety of wursts, breads from the bakery, pierogies (cheese and potato and cheese ones), potato salad and cold cuts and then midnight mass. Christmas was usually what was leftovers from Christmas Eve and a small baked ham.

Today as an adult, our Thanksgiving remains the same. Christmas is usually a Prime Rib, mashed potatoes made with butter, sour cream and caramelized onions, sprouts, string beans and corn with a side of fresh baked dinner rolls.

Following the Polish tradition, it was fresh ham roasted with sauerkraut, onions, and beer on New Year's Day with sides much the same as for Christmas.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We never did much for Christmas growing up. We would go to my dads sisters on Christmas Eve for many years, wasnt traditional dinner though usually something like pasta.

Christmas Day was mostly opening presents wasnt a big dinner holiday for us.

My wife and I dont do any Christmas meal, most years I had to work anyhow.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 12:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Our Hungarian friends have their Christmas meal on Christmas Eve as that is their traditional family together time.
Their preferred & seen as special meal is fish which is seen as a huge treat.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 1:05 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It tends to be ham when we go to the in-laws too. When we have done it at home I have pushed for a fowl, chicken or turkey.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 2:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit of a blow-in here, not being from/in the US so no Thanksgiving, but just in case anyone's interested in the Aussie Christmas.

Of course there's lots of variety like anywhere, but 3 Christmas dinners that are very popular here:
Cold all the way, which makes sense given that depending on where in Australia you're located it can be up to 48 degrees Celsius. We don't tend to go for appetizers/starters, instead having platters of cold seafood such as king prawns, crayfish, oysters etc with accompanying sauces and lemon wedges. Platters of cold smoked ham (sometimes decorated with sliced pineapple and cherries). Every type of salad under the sun. Dessert could be a pavlova, trifle, fresh fruit and cheese, or all of them Fruit mince pies, chocolates and other sweets on the sideboard.
Or,
The traditional roast dinner - roasted meat or poultry - ham and turkey are popular, as is beef, chicken and good old Aussie lamb. All the usual trimmings. Steamed Christmas pudding with custard, cream or icecream - or again, all three.
Or,
A barbie or picnic. Backyard, beach, bush. Lots of ice-filled eskies required to keep the food and booze cold.

I hope everyone has a delicious Christmas
Old Dec 1st 2018, 2:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Growing up, my dad was the household cook. For Thanksgiving it was always turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams and cranberry sauce, with perhaps one more side veggie. We ate around 2 pm and nibbled on leftovers the rest of the day.

Christmas was either ham or roast beef, again with mashed potatoes and gravy, and a variety of side veggie dishes.

Yum.

Rene
Old Dec 1st 2018, 10:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Our Hungarian friends have their Christmas meal on Christmas Eve as that is their traditional family together time.
Their preferred & seen as special meal is fish which is seen as a huge treat.
Yup, do everything here on Christmas Eve, then collapse in a self satisfied heap on Christmas Day. Not fish for us though, goose, duck, beef or lamb (& very occasionally Turkey).
Old Dec 1st 2018, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

A glass or two of sherry in the afternoon, then a nice bottle of claret early evening.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 12:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
A glass or two of sherry in the afternoon, then a nice bottle of claret early evening.

Thereby neatly avoiding the whole food issue?
Old Dec 1st 2018, 2:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas Day in the UK we always had lunch of turkey with chestnut stuffing, roast potatoes, and a veg, followed by Christmas pudding (with silver sixpences hidden in it), then high tea with a pressed tongue that my mother made, usually accompanied by salad, and followed by trifle. That tongue was so good with mustard -- I regret that I never asked for her recipe. Boxing Day we had a roast beef with Yorkshires, roast potatoes, veg. Can't recall what the dessert was -- probably some kind of steamed pud!

Here I do a boneless turkey breast for both TG and Christmas, but find different ways to cook it. I did Indian seasonings with cashew stuffing for TG, and will probably do a Mexican recipe where it is marinated in herbs and then wrapped in bacon for Christmas. I love my recipe for Brussels sprouts with shallots, bacon, and chestnuts so much that it is part of each meal. And we don't do desserts at all -- but do treat ourselves to a box of chocolates for later in the evening!
Old Dec 1st 2018, 7:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanksgiving we have turkey with American trimmings, mash potatoes and pie. Christmas it’s turkey with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, English stuffing, Christmas pudding and mince pies. Christmas green bean casserole is banned.

Common to both Mrs L’s cranberry sauce made with a liberal infusion of bourbon.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 8:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It was only through watching the British Baking Championships that I found out that the use of the word pudding in Brit talk doesn't mean the same as in American speak. What is English stuffing? Green bean casserole in the US is a Thanksgiving dish not a Christmas dish and is banned from our home no matter what of the year it is.
Old Dec 1st 2018, 9:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Green bean casserole.... YUK. Never had it at our house, either.

Rene
Old Dec 1st 2018, 10:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It was only through watching the British Baking Championships that I found out that the use of the word pudding in Brit talk doesn't mean the same as in American speak. What is English stuffing? Green bean casserole in the US is a Thanksgiving dish not a Christmas dish and is banned from our home no matter what of the year it is.
At our house, stuffing was made with fine breadcrumbs mixed with beaten egg and dried parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. It was baked in the oven in a pie plate along with the roast and came out a bit crunchy on the outside and was sliced into triangles, like slicing a pie. I’d never seen stuffing made with cubes of bread before I came to the US. In later years, mother got a bit creative and mixed in chopped chestnuts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.