Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving food advice

Thanksgiving food advice

Old Nov 4th 2019, 5:14 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving food advice

Originally Posted by Rete
I love roast potatoes but for Thanksgiving I need mashed potatoes for my gravy. It just wouldn't seem right now to have them.
I was raised to know that it isn't a case of either/or, with both roast and mashed on the plate in different proportions according to taste.
Old Nov 4th 2019, 5:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Just sayin' . . . .

https://thebritishdepot.com/collections/sausages-bacon
Old Nov 4th 2019, 6:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Why not Yorkshire pudding on Thanksgiving?
We wouldn't think of pairing Yorkshires with a roast bird back in said county. They should be made in a pan with the hot drippings from the beef roast to which they make the traditional accompaniment.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 12:35 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
We went to the new shop the other day to raid the Christmas goodies...... mmmmmm
Old Nov 5th 2019, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Pigs in Blanket is the obvious choice to pair with Turkey, and by Cocktail sausages I am guessing you mean Chipolata's. Cocktail sausages tend to be the cooked and cold version. You also need to source Back Bacon, which can be tricky as well. Add a bit of Sage and Onion Stuffing as well.

I fully understand the principle of Yorkshire's being with Beef, but they are so yummy done well that I'll eat them with any meat.

Another suggestion, to add to the home cooking feel of Thanksgiving. Get a Spotted Dick on the go and allow everyone to chuckle as you name it during their first mouthful.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 6:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
I was raised to know that it isn't a case of either/or, with both roast and mashed on the plate in different proportions according to taste.
I raised that it is either/or. Never had two types of white potatoes served at my family's dinner table nor my own. In the case of Thanksgiving, there are mashed white potatoes and baked sweet potatoes.
Old Nov 5th 2019, 6:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
We wouldn't think of pairing Yorkshires with a roast bird back in said county. They should be made in a pan with the hot drippings from the beef roast to which they make the traditional accompaniment.
They can't be made with the hot fat drippings from a turkey?
Old Nov 5th 2019, 6:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

They can't be made with the hot fat drippings from a turkey?
Well, as a New Yorker, you know that chicken fat (aka "schmaltz") is essential to a good chopped liver. I don't think it would be the same with a substitute. Likewise, Yorkshire pudding and beef drippings!
Old Nov 5th 2019, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Just mix three random ingredients together that do not even belong on the same plate at the same time. That's what green bean casserole is and everyone seems to want it at Thanksgiving. Excuse me while I hurl.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 4:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck

Another suggestion, to add to the home cooking feel of Thanksgiving. Get a Spotted Dick on the go and allow everyone to chuckle as you name it during their first mouthful.
This reminded me of a remark Hercule Poirot made to Inspector Japp, when the latter cooked a meal for him. When Japp told him the pudding was called Spotted Dick, Poirot said 'I have an aversion to the dick that is spotted'.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 7:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Quite right. We always had both at Christmas when I was growing up. After a stint at catering college, I upgraded the mash to Duchess potatoes. Sadly I've not had any success with them in NZ, none of the spuds available here are floury enough and they collapse on baking .

You could make Eve's pudding and serve with custard......my fave.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 11:22 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Well, as a New Yorker, you know that chicken fat (aka "schmaltz") is essential to a good chopped liver. I don't think it would be the same with a substitute. Likewise, Yorkshire pudding and beef drippings!
I've never had Yorkshire Pudding, NutMegger and thought that I ever will since going the UK isn't on my Bucket List. Now if you invite me to dinner and make some, I will be most happy to try them.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

I've never had Yorkshire Pudding, NutMegger and thought that I ever will since going the UK isn't on my Bucket List. Now if you invite me to dinner and make some, I will be most happy to try them.
LOL -- I'm actually the last person in the world who should be expounding on Yorkshires, as I neither cook nor eat traditional English food! I'd be happy to invite you to dinner, but any Yorkshires that I might attempt to make would be a poor facsimile of the real thing.