British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Thanksgiving food advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/thanksgiving-food-advice-928942/)

jack172 Oct 30th 2019 6:10 am

Thanksgiving food advice

Hi everyone!

I'll be visiting my American girlfriend for Thanksgiving and it was suggested that I make something British as part of dinner. Anyone have any suggestions for it? My mind goes straight to pigs in blankets but trying to get a decent sausage is a nightmare, never mind a cocktail sausage (as a side note, if anybody knows anywhere along the I-95 between Boston MA and Grey, ME that makes a good British sausage, I will be eternally grateful!
Any suggestions on things to cook are greatly received :)

Jack

scrubbedexpat096 Oct 30th 2019 7:02 am

Re: Thanksgiving food advice

Yorkshire puds!

spouse of scouse Oct 30th 2019 9:03 am

Sherry trifle!

rebs Oct 30th 2019 9:26 am

Roast potatoes & roast parsnips

civilservant Oct 30th 2019 12:33 pm

Toad in the hole.

Cornish pasty! If you can make a Cornish pasty I will be around your house for dinner on Thanksgiving! :rofl:

excpomea Oct 30th 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12756320)
Toad in the hole.

Cornish pasty! If you can make a Cornish pasty I will be around your house for dinner on Thanksgiving! :rofl:

Pretty easy to knock out. We make them once a month or so.
20 years in Plymouth gave us a taste for them.

mum 2 3 Oct 30th 2019 1:03 pm

I usually contribute Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, sausages wrapped in bacon (I use either a local Supermarket breakfast sausage, or the Johnsonville regular breakfast sausages) and a pavlova, to our Friendsgiving.

jack172 Oct 30th 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by mum 2 3 (Post 12756345)
I usually contribute Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, sausages wrapped in bacon (I use either a local Supermarket breakfast sausage, or the Johnsonville regular breakfast sausages) and a pavlova, to our Friendsgiving.

Johnsonville and other breakfast sausage just aren’t the same... I made a bacon and sausage butty with them and they weren’t the same :(

there is a butcher I know of... maybe they will do proper sausage?

spouse of scouse Oct 31st 2019 1:45 am

Originally Posted by jack172 (Post 12756533)

Johnsonville and other breakfast sausage just aren’t the same... I made a bacon and sausage butty with them and they weren’t the same :(

there is a butcher I know of... maybe they will do proper sausage?

You could make your own sausages, you need to buy a bit of gear at first but they're easy to make and there are infinite varieties you could concoct!

Former Lancastrian Oct 31st 2019 9:12 am

Stop this sausage madness at once. Unless you know an ex Brit who has a butchers shop or the sausages are directly imported from the UK you will end up disappointed. It is the same in Canada and believe me I have tried a few which have tried to pass off Cumberland sausages.

caretaker Oct 31st 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12756896)
Stop this sausage madness at once. Unless you know an ex Brit who has a butchers shop or the sausages are directly imported from the UK you will end up disappointed. It is the same in Canada and believe me I have tried a few which have tried to pass off Cumberland sausages.

After reading up on Cumberland sausages I agree with you. However, there is something to be said for making your own, if you are so inclined. Those who don't own a sausage stuffer and want to make a small quantity can always just roll them out and fry them without casing.

Owen778 Oct 31st 2019 9:28 pm

Roast potatoes. It's now a staple part of Thanksgiving dinner for our family.

Unless you'd normally eat Yorkshire pudding with turkey in England, I wouldn't recommend it here.

bruinsinUK2011 Nov 4th 2019 3:15 pm

Jack, there's a shop in Newburyport, MA called "Best of British" (exit 57 off I-95), they have british and irish sausages!

spouse of scouse Nov 4th 2019 3:20 pm

I love this thread!
Sausagegate :D

Rete Nov 4th 2019 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12757310)
Roast potatoes. It's now a staple part of Thanksgiving dinner for our family.

Unless you'd normally eat Yorkshire pudding with turkey in England, I wouldn't recommend it here.

I love roast potatoes but for Thanksgiving I need mashed potatoes for my gravy. It just wouldn't seem right now to have them.

Why not Yorkshire pudding on Thanksgiving? We have dinner rolls or biscuits at the table on Thanksgiving. Isn't a Yorkshire pudding much like a popover made in the US but hollow?