Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving Dinner this year??

Thanksgiving Dinner this year??

Old Nov 27th 2020, 12:18 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thanksgiving Dinner this year??

Originally Posted by Pulaski
X

In Mrs P's neck of the woods, it's ham at Christmas. We usually have steak - a rib roast/ rack of ribs, which is effectively a stack of unseparated T-bones.

Yes, Thanksgiving is the "big meal" holiday in the US.
Steak or beef in some decent quantity seems a very good alternative. Especially if you've just had a big bird one month previously.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 12:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Definitely not the same here in South Texas. Thanksgiving is huge in the Mexican community ....
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's pretty big with the Mexican community in San Diego, with a Mexican twist usually, but Mexicans certainly to celebrate it, I know my step family does, .....
Maybe the difference is that the ones I know are first generation immigrants i.e. didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving. Given that their children/grandchildren sound like native North Carolinians, and will most likely form relationships with native born Americans, I suspect that they will eventually celebrate Thanksgiving in adulthood.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe the difference is that the ones I know are first generation immigrants i.e. didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving. Given that their children/grandchildren sound like native North Carolinians, and will most likely form relationships with native born Americans, I suspect that they will eventually celebrate Thanksgiving in adulthood.
Sounds weird to me, they all celebrate it even the older generations. Lots of Tamales and fajitas, so with their own twist as J said!
Old Nov 27th 2020, 2:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds weird to me, they all celebrate it even the older generations. .....
I live in a weird world.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 2:55 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds weird to me, they all celebrate it even the older generations. Lots of Tamales and fajitas, so with their own twist as J said!
I agree. It’s been the one US celebration that I’ve really adopted, though I make all my dishes with an Indian accent, like the majority of my cooking!
Old Nov 27th 2020, 3:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I agree. It’s been the one US celebration that I’ve really adopted, though I make all my dishes with an Indian accent, like the majority of my cooking!
We usually celebrate with my son in laws Colombian family.We all take a dish and there are British, Americans, Norwegians, Australians and Colombians in the family so it gets interesting. Loud for sure but interesting. We will all be back together hopefully next year!
Old Nov 27th 2020, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Spiral Ham

Mixture of nationalities including but not limited to American, Danish, Native American Cuban and Italian.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 12:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What's the deal with Thanksgiving and Xmas dinner in the US? Is it turkey at Thanksgiving and then turkey again at Xmas ... seems so close. I've heard that in the US Thanksgiving is often seen as a bigger holiday meal/celebration than Xmas.

Can't speak for other families but in ours turkey was the mainstay for Thanksgiving and for Christmas it was either a smoked ham or a roast beef for Christmas dinner. Christmas Eve's dinner (European's supper) was our celebratory meal of a mix of Polish and German foods and Christmas was laid back and quite simple.

Now if you are talking about the Italian culture in the US, you are talking a meal of the Seven Fishes for Christmas Eve. Christmas day was more like a seven course meal with antipasto, pasta, roast beef, veal, and chicken, i.e. parm or marsala, cheesecake, cookies, biscotti, black and brown coffees, and tonnes of various wines and after dinner drinks.

I've never been a big fan of Christmas. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It is a day of family, friends, food and fun. My four "Fs".

Last edited by Rete; Nov 27th 2020 at 2:23 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It is, because the diversity of the population means that not everyone celebrates Christmas. Thanksgiving, being basically a harvest celebration, is universal.
This is definitely the case. Among Jews, for instance, Thanksgiving is huge. It’s an opportunity to share a (food based) holiday with other Americans. Here’s a great article from Kveller about the way Persian Jews celebrate Thanksgiving. (Most Persian Jews are relatively recent immigrants.) I like their approach; serve up turkey and all the trimmings, AND all the Iranian Jewish holiday dishes too. Covers all the bases.

https://www.kveller.com/theres-nothi...-thanksgiving/
Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jews I know happy to take part in Christmas, Thanksgiving I like because it is Christmas without the hassle.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 2:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I always found it endearing that, at least in the NYC area, many of our Jewish friends and neighbors would have Chinese for Christmas dinner and go to the movies.
Old Nov 27th 2020, 2:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

In our house Mrs L does an American turkey dinner for Thanksgiving, mash spuds and American sides. Cheesecake, pumpkin pie and chocolate pie. We our son and his family, who live around the corner, for Thanksgiving. He lost his job Wednesday and hasn't been paid for the month as the company is bankrupt. Mrs L refused to eat alone, so now 14 days to see if we got away with it.

For Christmas it is an English turkey dinner, roast spuds Yorkshire pudding and vegetables. Mince pies and Christmas pudding.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Jews I know happy to take part in Christmas, Thanksgiving I like because it is Christmas without the hassle.
I interviewed with a Jewish-owned, Israel-based business in London some years ago, and the manager who interviewed me reported that they ran a 12/13 month pay cycle, with the salary split into 13 parts and double pay was credited in December, which, and I quote,"was great for Christmas shopping", and she said that without the slightest hint of irony! As it was, even with the double pay in December, the pay level sucked and I passed on the opportunity.