Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

thanksgiving dinner...

thanksgiving dinner...

Old Nov 26th 2015, 2:18 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: thanksgiving dinner...

i've just had a delicious traditional Thanksgiving lunch at the American Women's Club of Zurich clubhouse with a couple of friends whom have also moved to Switzerland from New Jersey.

The butternut squash had an interesting twist....apparently the caterer has been providing the TG lunch for 11 years and tweaks the soup ingredients every year; this year he used coconut milk and added tiny chunks of pineapple, it was pretty good.

It's a normal working day of course in Europe but a lot of the Americans working at my husband's office have either taken the day off or are going home early....my husband is enjoying the peace and quiet as there are no calls to/from the US today and probably very few calls tomorrow.

We might watch some American football later on TV (we have a slingbox connected to our house in NJ, which our son is living in. He is off to a buffet lunch with his fiancee and her family at a local country club, so at least I don't have to worry about our kitchen catching fire!).

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU!
Old Nov 26th 2015, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thanksgiving dinner...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and I second (third?) the Thanks for Internet friends. between you guys and my online mummy group I get enough snark to keep me pleasant in real life

I raise my glass to you all

Old Nov 26th 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
I'm using Paxo for the sage and Onion as I've never been able to find a recipe I like

The sausage meat and thyme recipe I use is

125g unsalted butter
1½ lbs pork sausage meat
1 sweet onion, finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
3 stalks celery, finely diced
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
250g breadcrumbs
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves

smush it all together and cook it. I've cooked it in balls and in a loaf and stuffed in the bird.
Yes perfect - I'm going to use your recipe.. Now someone remind me to put the turkey in the oven.. it is the bit I always seem to forget! Too many mimosas....
Old Nov 26th 2015, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Prime rib
Mashed Potatoes
Peas in Cream
Sautéed mushrooms
Mac'n Cheese (the real thing)
Dinner rolls

For starters:
Shrimp cocktail
Guacamole and chips

For enders: Clogged arteries, heart attack, ambulance ride.
Old Nov 26th 2015, 10:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was good practice for Christmas lunch in a few weeks!

I provided a menu and asked everyone to put their name against the "sides" they wanted and adjusted the amounts accordingly. Worked well....

OH and eldest are out walking the dog before we tackle dessert. After living in France for so many years we have the cheese course before dessert. I was very happy to have found real french goat cheese, port salut, stilton and (our favourite from TJ's) le petit basque...