Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

thanksgiving dinner...

thanksgiving dinner...

Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thanksgiving dinner...

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Sorry in GA

I bake the sweet potatoes skin on in the oven. Take them out and let them cool enough to get the skin off.
I caramelise a handful of pecans with brown sugar and chop them roughly.
In a bowl i mix the potato flesh, the pecans, a glug of maple syrup and a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves until it tastes about right. mix in 2 eggs and pop in the oven to bake for about 30 -40 mins
Top with marshmallows and add back to the oven until they are melty and a bit browned

sounds not too difficult.

littlest has decided she is going to make a swedish princess cake for dessert. So far, about $15 worth of marzipan is a not so delicate shade of smurf blue.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Turkey - it was going to be beef, but I got sucked in by the supermarkets' deep discounting - 59c lb - and an Ibotta cash rebate for $8 if I bought a turkey and some cranberry margaritas (which also had a mail-in $6 rebate so it's all practically free at this point). Plus turkey = turkey stock from the carcass, and lots of leftover meat for curries.

Turkey will be roasted, with butter shoved under its skin and a lemon inside for fragranced moistening steam. I have cooked them upside down before, which makes them very moist as all the fat and juices drain into the meat, but they're much less aesthetically pleasing that way.

Gravy will be made in the resulting pan, involving allspice and Marsala.

There will be stuffing; shopbought packet gussied up a bit somehow, and baked in a dish separately à la Nutmegger's mum as it's so much more convenient and tasty for sliced cold leftovers that way.

Roasted parsnips instead of potatoes for a change, with honey and sesame seeds.

Carrots... haven't decided how yet, might chuck them in with the parsnips. Or plain, to balance everything else.

Brussels sprouts - these will have to involve at least two of bacon, nuts, and whatever passes for crème fraîche here, so hubby will eat them.

Cranberry sauce bought from the deli today.

Maybe Yorkshire puddings too, as they're the main reason I was thinking 'beef' in the first place.

So a sort of Christmas-lite - I shan't do pigs and blankets and bread sauce until next month, as they're too labor-intensive to continually do for the 4 of us.

And I think I'll try out a bread machine creation for breakfast toast - something with pumpkin purée, seasonal spices, and cranberries in it.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 11:15 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
That's a wee bit sad JG
I spent too many years wishing I was back in the UK...instead of trying to assimilate. Not any more...now I'm has happy as a pig is sh*t. . Not my idea to eat out it was hubby's...so I'm not arguing and I will drink to that.

Originally Posted by Leslie
Okay, gloomy guts .... this is the "What are you cooking/having/enjoying for Thanksgiving Dinner" thread. Not the thread.

Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:37 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I HATE brussels sprouts!!

Last time we went to dinner at someone else's house, my kids could hardly contain themselves watching me politely eat them. After all these years of teaching them good manners and making them eat what was in front of them....
Old Nov 25th 2015, 12:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I think you must be my husband...he loves sprouts...any which way...

BTW today I told him about M&S's Brussels sprout sausages...he was
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:15 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I HATE brussels sprouts!!

Last time we went to dinner at someone else's house, my kids could hardly contain themselves watching me politely eat them. After all these years of teaching them good manners and making them eat what was in front of them....
Good to read that you were leading by example
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:39 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I HATE brussels sprouts.
Weirdo.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been invited to our son in laws parents. It will be a house of Colombians, Brits, Swedes and Americans and everyone is taking food My daughter volunteered for me to provide dessert and also homemade sausage rolls.

I do have one question. Why do most people include Mac and cheese with their Turkey dinner. Just seems odd when there are usually potatoes and veggies, dressing and gravy. Mac and cheese just doesn't seem to fit in
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:06 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Ordered a turkey and some sides from Whole Foods.

Everything has to be 'organic' or all hell will break loose.

I'll be doing roasted spuds.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I do have one question. Why do most people include Mac and cheese with their Turkey dinner. Just seems odd when there are usually potatoes and veggies, dressing and gravy. Mac and cheese just doesn't seem to fit in
I've only heard of it being served in the South for the holiday. Although when I had Thanksgiving 2 years ago in Mississippi at my daughter's mac and cheese was not on the menu. We had a Green Goddess thingee, collard greens (which were delicious) with ham hocks, cranberry mold made with coke and the green been casserole.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 11:18 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing with sodding Marshmallow on it.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Weirdo.

Originally Posted by Nutek
Nothing with sodding Marshmallow on it.
Also a good post

Though I can't guarantee my sister-in-law won't bring that bloody stuff again this year. Luckily I don't have to eat it, so I don't care what everyone else does. The more stuff like that they put on their plates, the more room I have for turkey
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I've bought a turkey breast from Wholefoods. Will bash it flat then smear sausage/onion/pistachio/sage stuffing all over it, then roll it up and tie it up, then roast it and serve with some home made gravy containing a lot of wine.

Husband has requested sprouts
Old Nov 25th 2015, 1:56 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Husband has requested sprouts
A wise man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.