Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Texas Driving Test tomorrow, SWMBO bricking it

Texas Driving Test tomorrow, SWMBO bricking it

Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute
Default Texas Driving Test tomorrow, SWMBO bricking it

OK reality check. I've been told the driving element to the Texas Driving test is a piece of the proverbial.

But can I have "honest" assessments of the US Driving Test, i.e. actually what you did and how long it took. She's failed the UK test on parallel parking once because of poor clutch control (she got her license on forth attempt). Not a problem here (or it shouldn't be) as its an automatic she'll be driving with a reversing camera. And I understand within 18 inches of a curb is legally parked (which would be a fail in the UK)

I'm about to go practice parallel parking with her, and I don't want to have to spend half a day doing it.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas Driving Test tomorrow, SWMBO bricking it

I can't speak for Texas, but in Virginia the parking part of the test involved driving my car forwards in an empty car park into a large space defined by two cones. And yes, I could have got the proverbial bus in there. I don't think anyone in the US ever does the UK-style parallel parking we get tested on at home.

If your wife drove in the UK and has familiarized herself with roads in the US, she will be fine. Check mirrors lots and STOP for several seconds at stop signs. Don't run anyone over. That's it.

Edit to add - you wanted to know exactly what happened in the test. Again, in Virginia it consisted of a 5 minute test showing I knew how to turn on lights, indicators, windscreen wipers etc. Then a 5 minute drive around the block (literally), then return to the car park parking in said empty car park. I have a vague memory of reversing in a straight line in said empty car park too.

the examiner (who wasn't even born when I took my UK test) said they couldn't find anything at all to mark me down, and sounded quite disappointed about it.

Last edited by yellowroom; Feb 11th 2016 at 3:22 pm. Reason: added test details
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Each state is different, so I can only talk from a California perspective. It's a complete and utter waste of time and explains why the standard of driving in this country is beyond shit!!!!! My test last 10 minutes tops. I drove round a couple of residential blocks. My one manouvere was to reverse.......in a straight line!!! WTF!!! From what I could see, the examiner was only interested in 2 things. That I could stick to a 25mph limit, and that I came to a complete stop at a stop sign. Because these are obviously far more important skills than being able to drive in traffic downtown or drive safely on the freeway! As I said, the test I took was beyond a joke!
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:19 pm
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

I did my test in Houston last month.

I joined the line, they "examined" my car, checked the indicators worked, brake lights etc. Then I pulled up to two posts. They were honestly 25 odd feet apart. I reversed in between them, using my camera.

I then indicated, pulled out and drove off.

Left out of the test center (although it was a T junction so no traffic coming from right.

Drove 100 yards to the lights, turned right.

Drove half a mile over 2 sets of lights, turned right. This led into the quietest housing area I have ever seen.

Had a pleasant chat with the lady doing the test.

Couple more rights, followed by a left to get back on the main road.

Left back into the test center.

Finished.

Whole thing lasted under 8 minutes.

I know of people who failed, mainly for not coming to a complete stop at stop signs, or when turning right on a red. Short of over confidence I saw the test as almost unfailable and more a way of keeping blind people off the road.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:25 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Instructional video:

Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Failed my UK test 4 times, passed my US test on the first attempt. I agree with a previous poster, the goal seems to be to keep blind people off the road.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:52 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
the goal seems to be to keep blind people off the road.
When did we start doing that?!?!?!
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My test was in NY, but seems, based on others' anecdotes, to have been of average or above average difficulty. It took 10 minutes, on public roads, and included several STOP signs and a set of traffic lights. The parallel park, which wasn't on the test when I learned to drive in the UK, comprised parking behind a vehicle, not in what you might call "in a parking space". I was criticized at the end for having turned left at traffic lights and swung directly into the right lane - apparently I was supposed to turn into the left lane, then move over to the right lane. Curiously, my manager who took his test in NC, was criticized after his test, for turning into the left lane, then moving over into the right lane.

In short, my test was pretty pathetic, and a moderately well coordinated teenager could have passed the test I took after no more than three driving lessons, i.e. just enough to familiarize themselves with the steering, brakes and other controls.

I would say, the biggest thing SWMBO needs to do is be confident, as lacking confidence is probably the biggest danger on the road "in the real world". If she is a bag of nerves and starts making silly errors she may be deemed incapable on the grounds of being a danger to herself and others.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 11th 2016 at 4:00 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I had parallel parking as part of the test in AZ. I'd hardly driven for the previous four years, being car-less in Switzerland, and of course the parking side is now the 'wrong' one so I thought I'd better at least practise this beforehand.

I spent some time the day before putting two wheelie bins in 'other cars' positions in my quiet street, and reversing between them, until I could confidently drive past, look over my right shoulder, and steer the car in.

I was startled, therefore, to turn up at the test center and find that their parallel parking box was coned out on the LEFT side of their pretend road. Turned out to be quite simple to put the left side of car on the yellow line, though - all I had to do was look down out of the open window...
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 minutes once around the block
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
I had parallel parking as part of the test in AZ. I'd hardly driven for the previous four years, being car-less in Switzerland, and of course the parking side is now the 'wrong' one so I thought I'd better at least practise this beforehand.

I spent some time the day before putting two wheelie bins in 'other cars' positions in my quiet street, and reversing between them, until I could confidently drive past, look over my right shoulder, and steer the car in.

I was startled, therefore, to turn up at the test center and find that their parallel parking box was coned out on the LEFT side of their pretend road. Turned out to be quite simple to put the left side of car on the yellow line, though - all I had to do was look down out of the open window...
I'd never thought about that, but my parallel park was on the left side of a one way street too!
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest unless they setup two cars permanently somewhere in a residential area, or on the actual property (which they co-share with Walmart and a bunch of restaurants) finding somewhere to parallel park is going to be pot luck.

The Houston experience of parking in a "supermarket space" and reversing out sounds more likely.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

If you fail the US driving test, you probably really, really should not be driving.

Yes, it is that easy. And I took mine in Manhattan.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
If you fail the US driving test, you probably really, really should not be driving. .....
Based on what I see on the roads, even if you pass the test there is a pretty good chance you shouldn't be driving!
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I nearly ran someone over at a Stop sign on my test and they not only passed me but gave me very high marks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.