Texas

Old May 4th 2015, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas

Anybody else following the terrorists attack yesterday?
Old May 4th 2015, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Texas

Calling cartoonists terrorists is a little much isn't it?

Have they called it terrorism already? I'd have thought shootings in Texas barely make the news.

Actually in all seriousness it does raise some pretty deep questions about rights and responsibilities. Yes, first amendment blah blah. But it does not and never has been limitless. Then quite frankly when you invite someone like Geert Wilders to your event you really are setting out your stall.

Prior to this I did hear about the PEN award to Charlie Hebdo was being protested by quite a large number of authors who were basically saying being deliberately insulting isn't big and it isn't clever.

I don't think anyone really wants to but one wonders what the reaction to a flag burning competition in the same town would be (http://fox13now.com/2015/04/19/veter...american-flag/).

Last edited by sir_eccles; May 4th 2015 at 4:52 pm.
Old May 4th 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't beleive they've officially labelled it a terrorist attack, although you gotta say, it all likelihood it is. However, as much as I beleieve in freedom of speech, and as much as I think people and/or a religion that reacts the way they/it does when someone draws a depiction of their made up god (and I beleive all god's are probably made up) s beyond pathetic, I think holding a draw a charicture of Mohammed competition is pretty ****ing stupid!! Makes me question whether a potential move to Texas is such a great idea after all.
Old May 4th 2015, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Have to admire the stupidity of anyone who would turn up to attack people at the most heavily armed art competition in the world.
Old May 4th 2015, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Have to admire the stupidity of anyone who would turn up to attack people at the most heavily armed art competition in the world.
True, apparently SWAT had been planning for the event for quite a while.

Unfortunately, the organizers (apparently Pamela Geller is quite a piece of work too from what I read) will be milking the sympathy from this for a while.

As I saw written elsewhere, what will confuse many commentators is the fact than many people may not be in favor of either side of the equation. It is perfectly fine to be against the cartoonists and against the people who did the shooting. It doesn't automatically have to be black and white with us or against us.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Anian
Exactly

Darwin award winners, if it was only that simple .
Old May 4th 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I can't make my mind up on this one.

On the one hand, I want to respect the cartoonist's freedom of speech to talk about (or draw) whatever they want to (even if it is pretty pathetic).
By extension, those that disagree have the right to peacefully protest or discuss why they believe these actions are stupid/wrong.

Then you arm everyone to the teeth and we're all losers.
That's what pisses me off the most about this.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

No mention of peaceful protests.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
No mention of peaceful protests.
In Texas, shooting guns counts as peaceful protest :-)
Old May 4th 2015, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for freedom of speech but I really do think they were taking the piss. Holding a competition for the best cartoon of Mohammed??

That in no way condones what the 'shooters' did or were about to do but I think it is more respecting others cultures/ideals.

Pamela ??? was interviewed by Eddie Mair tonight (briefly) on R4, she didn't sound the most sensible person
Old May 4th 2015, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Interesting, I have never felt the need to always respect others cultures/ideals.

In fact quite the contrary.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Interesting, I have never felt the need to always respect others cultures/ideals.

In fact quite the contrary.
Seems a bizarre way to look at things?

I don't agree with a lot of nations cultures and ideals, I would therefore not expect to visit that country?

For example, I wouldn't try to smuggle drugs into Indonesia and such places and then expect my government to plead for leniency?

I wouldn't expect to wear a hijab or burka, therefore I won't be travelling to Saudi.

By the same token I wouldn't expect to get shot for drawing a picture of a 'God' so it should work both ways.

It ain't that simple though
Old May 4th 2015, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

Other cultures/ideas, well that could include so many things, most Football supporters have a hate team, do you expect Arsenal supporters to have that view on Spurs, do you expect KKK or Westboro to be respected. Just turn on Cspan or listen to Prime Ministers Question Time.
Old May 5th 2015, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, more Texans probably died over the course of the weekend due to gun cleaning issues or parking disputes. Business as usual.
Old May 5th 2015, 7:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Texas, best seen from 35,000 feet flying over it.

I've been to Houston, Austin, Dallas, El Paso, San Anotino, some small town east of Houston (can't remember the name, starts with a B) and Newton.

I have no desire to go back to any. Something about Texas I don't like, weather being on of them, might be the colorful politicians from there that put me off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.