British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Tele or Telly? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/tele-telly-648183/)

nettlebed Jan 9th 2010 4:44 am

Tele or Telly?

Just reviewing the threads here, and I notice that bob's popular thread is called "Tele." I think it should be "Telly." What do others think?

Steerpike Jan 9th 2010 4:51 am

Re: Tele or Telly?

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8231008)
Just reviewing the threads here, and I notice that bob's popular thread is called "Tele." I think it should be "Telly." What do others think?

I think it should be TV! (Tee Vee). But if I were still 'Up North' in UK, I'd say it should be 'Telly'. But then, it's really a spoken slang term, not a word you would write down, so 'how' it's written seems immaterial.

kimilseung Jan 9th 2010 4:52 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8231008)

Telly

(maybe tele is the heducated way to say telly)

nettlebed Jan 9th 2010 5:03 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8231020)
Telly

(maybe tele is the heducated way to say telly)

Me too. I grew up working class, and I'm proud of it. Having said that, I don't ever remember having a telly at home until I was eight years old, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment.

Titchski Jan 9th 2010 12:11 pm

Telly

tonrob Jan 9th 2010 12:24 pm

Telly - not that I'm calling Bob gay or anything.

nethead Jan 9th 2010 1:02 pm

Definitely 'telly'. Sorry Bob ;)

ChocolateBabz Jan 9th 2010 3:20 pm

Telly !

MrEmjoy Jan 9th 2010 3:38 pm

It doesn't matter.

Kar98 Jan 9th 2010 6:10 pm

"****ing idiot box"

elfman Jan 9th 2010 6:14 pm

going off at a tangent here: what do you call the telly remote control?
Most people are probably just going to say "er, I call it the remote control, or just the remote", but for some reason I've always referred to the remote as "the buttons". A very good friend of mine back in Britain told me his whole family refer to the remote (for reasons lost in family history) as the "crapswitch", which I rather like.

nettlebed Jan 9th 2010 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8232595)
Most people are probably just going to say "er, I call it the remote control, or just the remote", but for some reason I've always referred to the remote as "the buttons". A very good friend of mine back in Britain told me his whole family refer to the remote (for reasons lost in family history) as the "crapswitch", which I rather like.

Don't care what it's called, I just want one of these:

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-images/remote_03.jpg

tonrob Jan 9th 2010 6:23 pm

The doofer, of course.

stuckdan Jan 9th 2010 6:28 pm

The American family I'm staying with call it "the channel changer", bugs me for some reason. "The remote" is so much more efficient.

dunroving Jan 9th 2010 6:35 pm

The blimp.