Teenagers

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Math homework. God how I miss not having eldest math genius at home. Youngest has given up on me being able to help her (9th grade!) and now just goes to school early for a tutorial session if homework is proving tough. Parent of the year, eh?
The last time I helped mine with math it ended with me telling him that he owes me a drink on his 21st birthday!
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Math homework. God how I miss not having eldest math genius at home. Youngest has given up on me being able to help her (9th grade!) and now just goes to school early for a tutorial session if homework is proving tough. Parent of the year, eh?
9th? You did well. I didn't make it past the first few weeks of Algebra 1 in 8th grade. My proofreading and editing skills are still requested for essays, through into 11th grade so far.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 8:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Eldest coming home tonight - she is a bit depressed after the election results and wondering why she should stay here. Youngest is coming out fighting and I may have to persuade her to tone it down a bit, middle son is glad he's off to college in EU in the summer.
How are your teens taking it? Especially the disenfranchised ones.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Eldest coming home tonight - she is a bit depressed after the election results and wondering why she should stay here. Youngest is coming out fighting and I may have to persuade her to tone it down a bit, middle son is glad he's off to college in EU in the summer.
How are your teens taking it? Especially the disenfranchised ones.
I asked mine, at ages 12 and 16. My 12 is not politically evolved, and her view was *shrug* She doesn't feel that her life is now any different than it was a week ago. Mind you, I'd rather that than the hand-wringing Uber-left with their 'how will I tell my 3 year old Trump is President!' nonsense. (Reply: when they're a little older, you'll tell them how a democracy works, and that at times their view will not be the majority one, and they should seek to understand people's lived experience and their motivations rather than demonising them as The Other.)

My 16's response was also *shrug*, but that's because he's an ancient history nut and takes a philosophical 'this has happened before, and everything's a cycle, and this too shall pass, and will at least be interesting in the meantime' view (I'm aware this is a privileged response from an affluent white male; he's not yet, despite how often I tell him )

He doesn't see fleeing back to the UK/ Europe as the solution, as he's much more bothered about the fallout and domino effect from Brexit. Trump is timelocked in terms of any damage he can do - if he doesn't come up with the goods in 2-4 years, he's toast. Brexit is 'forever'.

I suggest showing your teens the calming zig zag pattern of blue/ red presidencies. Going from Dem to Rep after 8 years is entirely expected. And to take the long term 'two steps forward, one step back' view about social change - there's been enormous progress on the progressive agenda this decade, and this is (hopefully) a minor setback, not a cancellation.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 3:37 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

This showed up in my FB feed and I thought it worth a mention here...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hER0Qp6QJNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old Dec 31st 2016, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This showed up in my FB feed and I thought it worth a mention here...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hER0Qp6QJNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Interesting talk. I am not technically a millennial, but what he talks about, describes me more then my generation, but I am on the cusp of 2 generations, so maybe I picked up the next generation more then my own.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 4:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
9th? You did well. I didn't make it past the first few weeks of Algebra 1 in 8th grade. My proofreading and editing skills are still requested for essays, through into 11th grade so far.
That's where I am, with Little Lion in 11th grade. Writing an essay? Doing Spanish homework? Ask Mum.

Maths and Science? Run, do not walk, from Mum.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this might be interesting read for those with teenage kids.

The x-plan

https://bertfulks.com/2017/02/23/x-p...way-out-xplan/