Wikiposts

Tea

Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:44 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tea

On the rare occasion I drink tea, I throw a teabag in a mug of water and nuke it for a minute and a half.

This can't be the drink you are all nuts about.

So what do I do to make a cup of tea? I can't see giving up my beloved coffee (My wife calls my travel mug my "blankie" because I carry it around even when it's empty, just in case) but I sure would like to see what the fuss is about.

So what are your methods/recipes?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tea

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
On the rare occasion I drink tea, I throw a teabag in a mug of water and nuke it for a minute and a half.

This can't be the drink you are all nuts about.

So what do I do to make a cup of tea? I can't see giving up my beloved coffee (My wife calls my travel mug my "blankie" because I carry it around even when it's empty, just in case) but I sure would like to see what the fuss is about.

So what are your methods/recipes?
OMG you can't put tea in cold water!!!

Boil the water first...you should pour some of the boiling water into the empty cup/mug, swirl it around a little to warm the cup/mug then pour it away. Put the tea bag in the cup/mug then pour boiling water over the teabag. I like to do this slowly...seems to make for a stronger cuppa IMO.

BTW I don't do the warming thing with the cup/mug.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:53 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Boil the water first...you should pour some of the boiling water into the empty cup/mug, swirl it around a little to warm the cup/mug then pour it away. Put the tea bag in the cup/mug then pour boiling water over the teabag. I like to do this slowly...seems to make for a stronger cuppa IMO.

Pour hot water in the mug, then pour it out. Then put the tea in the mug, then more hot water. Got it. No wonder mine sucked. I didn't do any of that.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My OH boils the water in his electric kettle, then pours it over a couple of tea bags in the teapot. He swears that this makes the tea taste better. When he's on the go, he'll pour the boiling water into his travel mug, and then add the tea bag(s).

Mind you, he only cleans his teapot out once in a blue moon, so I have no idea what effect this may have on the tea quality.

I'm not a big tea drinker, unless you count iced tea (w/very little sugar).
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The water needs to be hot before it is introduced to the tea, squash it around a bit and add milk.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:56 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Defo. Boil kettle. Now, most US tea bags are actually folded over, there's a gap in the middle you can poke your finger through, do that and drop bag in cup, so the bag is open to allow for free flow of water through the bag. Pour still boiling water over bag. Leave for about 3-5 minutes. Stir with spoon and use spoon to squash the bag, for extra flavor/strength. Remove bag. Add milk/sugar to taste.

Of course, as mentioned in the other thread, I actually use two bags, but I love really strong tea.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I don't drink tea and even I know that!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:58 am
Just Joined

labmumUK will become famous soon enough

We use a coffee maker here in the states ( a kettle at home, of course) we put two tea bags in the filter area where the coffee granuals would go and filter the water as you would coffee makes a smashing cuppa add more tea bags if you like it stronger we get 12 mugs of tea for 2 tea bags this way, you can also let it stew for a bit on the hot jobby and it's good and strong
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Defo. Boil kettle. Now, most US tea bags are actually folded over, there's a gap in the middle you can poke your finger through, do that and drop bag in cup, so the bag is open to allow for free flow of water through the bag. Pour still boiling water over bag. Leave for about 3-5 minutes. Stir with spoon and use spoon to squash the bag, for extra flavor/strength. Remove bag. Add milk/sugar to taste.

Of course, as mentioned in the other thread, I actually use two bags, but I love really strong tea.
Oh yes...I forgot the squashing of the bag...that's a must.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:59 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes...I forgot the squashing of the bag...that's a must.
Gotta get all that precious tea-juice out!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by labmumUK
We use a coffee maker here in the states ( a kettle at home, of course) we put two tea bags in the filter area where the coffee granuals would go and filter the water as you would coffee makes a smashing cuppa add more tea bags if you like it stronger we get 12 mugs of tea for 2 tea bags this way, you can also let it stew for a bit on the hot jobby and it's good and strong
I have never hear of doing that way... doesn't it make the tea really weak?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Nope it really doesn't. I use English tea tho'. You can let it stew or add more tea bags but two usually makes a good strong cuppa for us.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:05 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by labmumUK
tried that once in a hotel but the water needs to be boiling to make a decent cuppa and not off the boil as in the coffee makers.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
tried that once in a hotel but the water needs to be boiling to make a decent cuppa and not off the boil as in the coffee makers.
Yes it's not the same.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:09 am
Just Joined

I really don't find it much different EXCEPT in hotel rooms where the coffee maker has been used for COFFEE YUK! and they don't allow it to get very hot at all and if you had American tea bags - deffinately not the same !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.