A Taste of America

Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A Taste of America

Originally Posted by JEM3110
Yeah, you're probably right - there's plenty of mutton dressed as lamb in my neighbourhood
mine too!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
Have you an address on that? Hubby is off work for a week soon, maybe we can go and stock up.

Do you have a Kroger store near you? They sometimes have lamb for sale.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Thanks, just looked it up, the nearest is in Brownwood {85 mile} not so far!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:48 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
Thanks, just looked it up, the nearest is in Brownwood {85 mile} not so far!
You might do better looking for a Mexican market that does borrego ....
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Lamb - YUM! My local store in Lafayette (Diablo Foods) carries the whole range of fresh lamb cuts (awesome quality), from Racks to Loin chops to lamb shanks to legs of lamb. I think my Whole Foods Market does too, and I know the Lunardi's in Walnut Creek carries a wide range.

There are lots of local suppliers in the area;

http://www.sonomadirect.com/
http://www.nimanranch.com/control/ca...tegory_id=lamb

I don't just live here for the weather ...

My local Costco also sells the NZ racks. They are not frozen, but 'vacuum packed'. I found them to be very, very good.

For anyone in SF, you should check out "Arabi" in the Rincon Center. It's a family run Middle-Eastern lunch place that serves the best lamb shank dish on the first Wednesday of the month - a great tradition that's been going on for years. They've been going since at least 1991, when I started working across the street. Same family running the place today as back then.

What a real meat counter should look like ... (Diablo Foods, Lafayette):

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 20th 2008 at 6:33 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:30 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Ours has lamb all the time, I just can't afford to buy it unless it's marked down.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:33 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

We raised sheep on our farm in VT and sent the lambs down to southern NH for the Greek Easter.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

One of my fav homemade comfort food recipes to cook for my American husband that I learned here in this country is Chili done in the slow cooker/crock pot. I also love doing Emeril's recipe for spiral cut ham at Christmas. I also think they do a great job here on Stateside with all the different delicious recipes for mashed potatoes.

From home in Cornwall, I miss Fish n Chips the most, especially with mushy peas and decent bread and butter so, I can make a chip butty,much to the dismay of the yanks. However, I am searching for great recipes to make at home.

I am addicted to the food channel and I just watched Barefoot Contessa make her version of our lovely fish n chips. Contessa didn't have me mushy peas or bread n butter though she did have a good go at it. I gave Contessa full marks for wrapping her fish n chips in newspaper and having them by the sea.

Given the climate here though sometimes, the food from England is not the same. At times, you need a rainy/coldish day to appreciate all the delcious food from home. It is not the same in 90 degree heat which, is why I guess many love the Mexican food recipes during the warmer months that we have.

On another subject, I do have to say the Americans have some very nice wine.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Ours has lamb all the time, I just can't afford to buy it unless it's marked down.
I am the same Cindy, however I go to the local Safeway and lamb is often on clearance, so when I see it I buy it and then freeze it necessary. I make lamb doner kebabs for my husband which, he loves and misses from England.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Olives ... at least 20 variations ...

Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Olives ... at least 20 variations ...

http://www.sequoiahills.com/Pics/Loc...274_cp_sml.jpg
That looks like BJ's.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:03 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
How much is it then?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:40 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Errrr.... we were talking peanut butter..
Then call me "Sun Pat".
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Japanese food is pretty amazing here... mmmmm.... jumbo shrimp...
Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Yeah. It is pretty amazing but mostly because it's not much like Japanese food at all in general. More like Chinese (American)...
Originally Posted by Steerpike
Maybe in North Carolina it's like that; not here in the Bay Area where we have the biggest Japanese community in the US. ("In the 2000 census, the largest Japanese American communities were in California with 394,896, Hawaiʻi with 296,674, Washington with 56,210, New York with 45,237, and Illinois with 27,702." - from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American).

Tonight, we had Pho, garlic noodles, spicy beef salad and grilled prawns at "Pho 84" (Vietnamese) in Oakland; last night, Korean Bulgogi at "Korea House" in Japantown, SF.

Tomorrow, we'll probably have Dim Sum for lunch at "Tin's Tea House" here in town - authentic Dim Sum ... yum yum!
In general Japanese food in the US has been dumbed down to American tastes. I know in California and some cities in the US there are large populations of ethnic Japanese (and other Asian ethnicities).

It depends on your point of reference. I've eaten authentic Japanese, Chinese, Korean and other Asian foods and that's what I prefer. I know the locations of authentic ethnic food eateries in my area and that's where I go but they're few and far between and not necessarily convenient to home.

Best of all, the Indian food in my area is fantastic but may not be to most Brits taste because it is authentic Indian and not Anglicised Indian.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
Got to say, Welsh lamb is the sweetest and most tender (bit like me) but NZ lamb is a great substitute!
Welsh lamb is the best! NZ and Oz lamb tastes foul compared to Welsh lamb. I only eat American lamb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.