Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sumbit' rattler rennum frumfer - the critter thread

Sumbit' rattler rennum frumfer - the critter thread

Old May 22nd 2018, 6:57 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sumbit' rattler rennum frumfer - the critter thread

The debate about which animals - cats or dogs - are more intelligent is finally settled.
Cat people regale you with stories and anecdotes about how smart their feline is; that cats don't have owners, they have staff etc. Their owners project a supposed intelligence onto them, but it's just a quirk of evolution that cats have "wise" faces.
In reality, cats are derps, and the only job they have is keep vermin numbers down.
Cats are the Democrats of the pet world;

I've always been a dog person. Dependable, loyal, loving, capable, can-do, energetic, enthusiastic, love helping people. Dogs are the Republicans of the pet world.
This is an argument that already speaks for itself. Namely, dogs have jobs. Bomb sniffing dogs, water rescue dogs, earthquake dogs, guide dogs, therapy dogs, police dogs, guard dogs, shepherding dogs and so on.
When did you hear of a guide cat for the blind? Exactly.

Now here comes the science. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...nce-study-spd/

"Dogs, it turns out, have about twice the number of neurons in their cerebral cortexes than what cats have, which suggests they could be about twice as intelligent." Dogs have 500 million neurons to a paltry 250 million for a feline.
Dogs are also unique in that they understand pointing. Not even chimpanzees can do this.
Old May 22nd 2018, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

We had this big lad come visiting for a few weeks last year. Got another one this year but not quite as big. I'm able to watch them through the windows some nights and it's pretty exhilarating being that close.

Old May 22nd 2018, 7:50 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

A teleporting black bear! This terrifying. Like the deck by the way.
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
The debate about which animals - cats or dogs - are more intelligent is finally settled.
Cat people regale you with stories and anecdotes about how smart their feline is; that cats don't have owners, they have staff etc. Their owners project a supposed intelligence onto them, but it's just a quirk of evolution that cats have "wise" faces.
In reality, cats are derps, and the only job they have is keep vermin numbers down.
Cats are the Democrats of the pet world;

I've always been a dog person. Dependable, loyal, loving, capable, can-do, energetic, enthusiastic, love helping people. Dogs are the Republicans of the pet world.
This is an argument that already speaks for itself. Namely, dogs have jobs. Bomb sniffing dogs, water rescue dogs, earthquake dogs, guide dogs, therapy dogs, police dogs, guard dogs, shepherding dogs and so on.
When did you hear of a guide cat for the blind? Exactly.

Now here comes the science. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...nce-study-spd/

"Dogs, it turns out, have about twice the number of neurons in their cerebral cortexes than what cats have, which suggests they could be about twice as intelligent." Dogs have 500 million neurons to a paltry 250 million for a feline.
Dogs are also unique in that they understand pointing. Not even chimpanzees can do this.
Dogs eat other dog's shit. I'll stick with being a Democrat (well I would if I lived in the US).
Old May 23rd 2018, 5:45 pm
Peace onion

Wow. It really is a crude litmus test - you can discern so much about people and their world view based on whether they are a dog or a cat person.
Old May 23rd 2018, 6:13 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Dog or cat person huh? I thought the american political system was a jackass or an elephant. I get the first, the 2nd is endangered, by no means lical and shot by americans?

Where i am, the national animals are a dove and an armadillo. Both are lical delicacies eaten by many [along with iguanas, monkeys, possums, parrots and chicken.]
Old May 23rd 2018, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Might get one of these.
Attached Thumbnails Sumbit' rattler rennum frumfer - the critter thread-large.jpeg  
Old May 23rd 2018, 6:55 pm
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all

Met a coyote once taking the dog for a walk in the Massachusetts woods - about a week after we got here. That was a real you're-not-in-North-Wales-any-more moment. And a bear wandered out of the woods while my daughter was playing on her swingset ("Hi Bear" she cheerfully sang as my father-in-law scrabbled for his gun).

But I think the scariest thing I've met so far has been a momma moose and her two little ones that the dog and i bumped into early one morning walking through the woods. Those things are *big* and when something that size stares you down, you back away! Even the dog - who's not renowned for his brain power - backed away slowly!

Of course the scariest critter of all is the Massachusetts driver.... Now that's another story.
Old May 23rd 2018, 7:35 pm
Peace onion

Yeah, moose will **** you up. They will chase you down. Forgot about coyotes and wolves.
Old May 23rd 2018, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

We came across a Moose and calf, the calf wa nearly the size of the elk, the pup looked the other way, he aw no Moose.

Always wondered what you needed to carry to take one of those down. The pup can run a lot faster than me.
Old May 23rd 2018, 8:00 pm
Plunged in

TimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to allTimandRae is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Always wondered what you needed to carry to take one of those down.
Father-in-law uses a 7mm Ruger...
Old May 23rd 2018, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

I was thinking more general carry, do not want to take my rifle hiking, apologies wa not clear.
Old May 23rd 2018, 8:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread, I love reading about everyone's critter encounters
Old May 26th 2018, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

SC story: Black Widow scurrying off into the recesses of my old truck whilst I was working on the transmission was a tad unnerving.
TN story: Black Bear lumbering towards us on a narrow trail was impressive, it was only about 50' away when we saw it. Not so impressive was the fact that my daughter was 30' ahead of us. Gave her a cool story to take back to UK though.
FL: Yet to see the monster gator of local golf course internet fame, the footage was shot less than 3000' from our humble abode, so there's always the possibility... We have met gators on the trails though who refuse to move from the spot they are sunning themselves in, which can be inconvenient.
Old May 27th 2018, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Gators in Florida won't hurt you unless you bother them. They used to turn up in people's swimming pools in Miami, somewhat frequently (swimming into the canals from the Everglades). Not to be messed with, but they won't go for you. There was an attack in Central Florida a few years ago and if I remember that was the first fatal attack in something like 70 years. Salties in Australia are the ones you have to watch out for. Very calculating and cunning.

Oysters yes very dangerous, can slice open the skin and also give lockjaw. Some children in Florida have died that way.

Wolves a problem in northern Canada and Alaska, they will go for you if they think they have numbers.

I hadn't heard that people drown from the box jellyfish because they inhale water, I heard it was because the venom can be so fast-acting that they go into cardiac arrest or shock before they can reach shore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.