Success

Old Feb 5th 2019, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Success

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I'm a contractor that works for the government. So no pension (and no back-pay from the furlough). But I get what you're saying. I've been on sexy, cutting edge projects, high profile, you're expected to work 60 hours a week.
That there's something noble about it. Recruiters call and say, hey, this is a start-up environment! There's beer in the office! Table tennis! Scooters! We work hard and play hard.
Yeah, maybe if I was 25-35 again. But I'm 45. My job is fairly low stress, convenient (5 mile drive), and I have time to help out with my wife's business.

I am very grateful for my life and blessings. It's just some minor regrets to not have written the Great American novel or got a PhD or an MD or a JD or built the next big thing. Or learn the piano 25 years ago.

Very well put, Rete. Jsmth321, I was in a similar place to you until recently. Renting - being scolded by an assholish realtor guy (sent round my then landlord to assess the place for sale) for not being on the property ladder "at my age".
I was resigned to being a bachelor etc. Then I met my wife (had known her for a long time) and we got married. Travel. Life is easier for sure when you have someone to share it with.
I have not added it up but I may well know more single men and women and some of those married may not be that happy where they are.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 6:23 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, another thought. I was contacted out of the blue by this girl I used to to school with, and we'd walk home together from the bus stop.
I think we had mild crushes on each other. Anyway, she lived in the epitome of a middle-class four bedroom house, nice car, all the trappings etc.
Our family didn't have much money, we lived in a little house, I had a tiny bedroom. But I wouldn't change my childhood for anything. Happy home.
Turns out this girl's dad used to beat her. Resented spending any money on her or her brother. She wasn't even allowed to have the heating on in her room.
I used to think she had this idyllic middle class life; you just never know.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW

I had a fairly successful career in high tech; That's what led me here. Top of the world feeling and all that.
However 911, the economy crashed..and after living here for a year and a half I was laid off by voicemail and invited to go home as I didn't have permanent residence.

Fortunately I had the future Mrs H who took pity on me

Had a few decent jobs since but when I reached 50 I ended up on the scrap heap and no-one wanted to know. Very depressing...
Started my own business..scientific...been fantastic ever since...wish I'd done it long ago. I recommend it if you have the itch.

(It's the thing that's stopping me going home unless I can figure out how to run it from the UK. Still...first world problems...)

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 5th 2019 at 7:23 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 8:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Success is still waking up in the morning, I guess
Old Feb 7th 2019, 3:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Success is still waking up in the morning, I guess
I agree. And being able to pay the light bill on time.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 2:27 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My kids are happy,healthy and doing what they enjoy.
At the end of the day, that is what I will leave behind and for me, job done. I don't think anything else really matters.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 4:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't spend much time worrying about what my friends from school and uni did with their lives, but I don't know of any who did spectacularly well, though one or two get quoted in niche media as experts in their field. One friend went to Oxford, but is now a factory H&S officer, so an unremarkable career, another did poorly at GCSE, pretty much failed his A Level's (grades E, O, & F!!!), but ended up with a PhD from Cambridge, and is now a research scientist with several niche business interests as well as his continuing academic career; he doesn't appear to be wealthy though, and gets taxed through the nose in the country where he chose to make his home. Another school friend is a barrister, but not a high-flyer, apparently doing a lot of his work on legal aid, defending petty crooks.

Against that backdrop, I think I am doing OK, especially compared to a friend who died a few months after he was found to have a brain tumour, the best man at my wedding who died unexpectedly a few years later at home from an undiagnosed brain aneurysm, and a friend from uni who was reportedly a "millionaire businessman" when he was allegedly murdered by being hit by a car, allegedly after being set up by his wife, who was apparently his sole heir! The last heard was that his estate was eventually determined to be worth a lot less than the seven figures previously claimed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 7th 2019 at 4:56 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember there was one guy who I thought of aa a bot of a hell raiser who some years later was told have become a Roman Catholic Priest, no idea why.

Maybe he is a Cardinal now?
Old Feb 11th 2019, 10:33 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Last Friday, I caught up with a couple of friends I used to work with when we all worked together at a telecoms provider in the UK.
We did an apprenticeship with the company and it put us through uni.

So, it turns out, one of the guys founded a software company in Poland that employs 300 people. Another guy - wickedly good software engineer/hacker - got into BitCoin and set up a trading site and is now a multi millionaire.
Another guy I used to work with was the director of WebMD. And here I am, in my little (low stress) government job, thinking, wow, I'm a loser/under-achiever.

Was it Gore Vidal that said, "every time a friend succeeds, a little part of me dies inside"?
I genuinely am happy for their success, but I do feel a tinge of jealousy. I'm counting my blessings though. I have a lovely wife. A son. A house. Dogs. We travel.
How do you define success?
It's a great quote.

Nothing worse than old friends doing well*, shows up one's own failures.

(* well being financial, health, happiness or whatever else they are doing "better" than me with)
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:18 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

I define financial success as:
  1. Being able to shop at Whole Foods whenever I want. Including cashew butter.
  2. Being able to afford to put out trash containers with stickers despite the fact that one of the cans is only partially full.
  3. Springing for a slightly larger than needed furnace when the core of the last one cracked, because heat is good.
  4. LL Bean bathrobe? Yeah, I have two.
  5. The ability to pay for the kid's medical appointments, because I have insurance. That's right.
  6. New tires for the Mazda... when there's still 3mm of tread left on the old ones. Because that's how I roll, also because snow.
Haters gonna hate.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 4:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
  2. Being able to afford to put out trash containers with stickers despite the fact that one of the cans is only partially full.
  3. Springing for a slightly larger than needed furnace when the core of the last one cracked, because heat is good.
  5. The ability to pay for the kid's medical appointments, because I have insurance. That's right.
  6. New tires for the Mazda... when there's still 3mm of tread left on the old ones. Because that's how I roll, also because snow.
Haters gonna hate.
Where does 'hate' come into this discussion?
Old Feb 12th 2019, 7:09 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Haters gonna hate.
You're living the dream!
Old Feb 12th 2019, 7:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Haters gonna hate.
what do stickers and trash have to do with one another? Curious is all, not hating, I have no clue, as an apartment dweller one just chucks garbage into a dumpster.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand #2. What is a "trash container with a sticker"? We put our trash in a bin, and wheel it to the curb, no stickers are required,
Old Feb 12th 2019, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
what do stickers and trash have to do with one another? Curious is all, not hating, I have no clue, as an apartment dweller one just chucks garbage into a dumpster.
Maybe in some towns/cities you have to pay for stickers, one sticker per bin? Certainly sounds a bit bureaucratic..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.