Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

Old Sep 23rd 2017, 4:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

Originally Posted by Shard
Have heard of Kroger but don't really know it. Does Safeway still exist? Odd that the US doesn't have the same level of consolidation in the groceries biz. .....
Safeway is California/ West Coast only. .... People forget how big and empty most of the US is, and there is no natural economy of scale for groceries across such large areas, especially when the range of foods consumed varies in different regions - there isn't a one size fits all approach, which is how Kroger has come to be as big as it is - keeping the many regional brands that it has acquired rather than impose a national brand.

And Kroger isn't the only grocery owner to do this - there are other groceries that own multiple chains that operate under different legacy brands.

If any chain is currently likely to achieve "national status" for a "regular grocery" I would tip Publix, which seems to have a very good reputation and loyal customer base. Publix is towards the higher end of cost and quality range, like say Sainsbury's, but bigger than a niche player, like say Waitrose. After starting in Florida Publix is currently expanding steadily year-on-year into states at the edge of its territory, currently into Virginia, Tennessee, and across Alabama.

I see Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana as not being large markets for Publix, so I would guess that they will soon leap across into Texas. However I can see Publix doing well in the DC area and thereafter spreading steadily all the way from DC to Boston over the next 20 years.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 4:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I see Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana as not being large markets for Publix, so I would guess that they will soon leap across into Texas. However I can see Publix doing well in the DC area and thereafter spreading steadily all the way from DC to Boston over the next 20 years.
I so wish they would come to Mississippi. It is so depressing only have Winn Dixie, Walmart and a small chain called Corner Market to shop in. There are so many national brands not available here and if you like cooking with what they call exotic ingredients down here, i.e. mushrooms other than button, you can't find them. Louisiana at least has a Whole Foods at Metaire to shop at if you are inclined to look for more exotic foods and don't mind spending the money. But it an hour's drive and not worth it for us.

Safeway was big in the East when I was a kid. Growing up in the NYC area back in the 50's and 60's we had Safeway, Daitch Shopwell, A&P, and Grand Union. None of those stores are operational in that area any longer.

There is a Trade Joe's in Hartsdale, NY on Central Avenue and it is dark, dirty, and poorly organized. I tried it twice and both times walked away without buying anything.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 5:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I so wish they would come to Mississippi. ....
At the rate they're expanding I think you will find out within a year or two whether they will expand along the Gulf Coast as they already have five stores in the Mobile area (about half all the stores they have in the whole of Alabama), so I would envisage a push westwards along the coast through Biloxi and into New Orleans.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I visit Costco maybe once every two months and question why I have a membership but I do like their lamb shoulder.
I love Costco... I am in there at least once per week.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that really disappoints me about Aldi is there special buys/finds... they have had some truly awesome stuff but once it is gone it is gone never to be seen again!!!

They have had some awesome frozen Indian meals... none they are gone
Calzone... been and gone
Imported English