Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's not surprising in a country that doesn't understand that a slang word for testicles makes the perfect exclamation for almost any occasion!
When I was with friends who live in the US, I learnt that bellend means nothing too. Perfect combination of words that have no meaning in the US to use!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 12:00 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Aldi this week for the first time. I didn't buy much as they didn't have a lot that appealed but.... Deutsch Kuche Jaffa Cakes are delicious, Frozen Fruits of the Forest Strudel was fab and I don't think I've had one since leaving the U.K. (used to like Tescos) and Frozen Pork Schnitzel wasn't bad. The Dude bought Aldi Red Thunder (it gives you wings but cheaper).

I also went to Trader Joe's (not for the first time, ❤️ me some TJs) and bought ALL THE THINGS!!! but stand out items this time were Brooklyn Chocolate Babka, Sliced Brioche Loaf and Everything but the Bagel Seasoning. I have also scoffed both packets of Chicken Soup Dumplings already.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 2:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Aldi goes middle class! In a couple of cities you can get home delivery. For those of us not in those cities, I guess we'll have to stick to whole foods

Aldi enters grocery delivery in partnership with Instacart | Reuters
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:46 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

How long has Aldi been in the US?
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
How long has Aldi been in the US?
According to Google they opened their first store in Iowa in 1976.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 10:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
According to Google they opened their first store in Iowa in 1976.
Had no idea. Thought they were fairly new on the international scene. It seems they also own Trader Joe's.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Don't shop there, only because it would take double the driving time as it does to shop at our local MetroMarket (Kroger brand) supermarket. About 10mins to Aldi if no traffic.

Their selection is extremly meager , no doubt because they aren't that big. The 1 thing they have that I like , that Kroger doesn't have is the Mamba sweet/candy. Even if Aldi was close by, it would just be a hassle to do some shopping there and go to MetroMarket for the other stuff, when I can just get everyhthing at MetroMarket.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Don't shop there, only because it would take double the driving time as it does to shop at our local MetroMarket (Kroger brand) supermarket. About 10mins to Aldi if no traffic.

Their selection is extremly meager , no doubt because they aren't that big. The 1 thing they have that I like , that Kroger doesn't have is the Mamba sweet/candy. Even if Aldi was close by, it would just be a hassle to do some shopping there and go to MetroMarket for the other stuff, when I can just get everyhthing at MetroMarket.
This! I went into our local Aldi, once. The selection was very limited, mostly things we don't buy anyway, and not worth the effort of going there for the few things that we would want when we'd still have to go to a regular grocery store too.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If I had a local aldi then I'd be able to get all my grocery shopping done between them and TJ's. I don't know about anyone else but I can't get everything I want from one store anyway. The lower cost of certain things and the lovely choice in TJ's makes it worth the effort of going there.
Right now I go to my local grocery store and TJ's and a monthly costco visit.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 2:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... The lower cost of certain things and the lovely choice in TJ's makes it worth the effort of going there. ....
We went to TJ's once, the range was interesting, but limited - one of these and one of those, but we don't usually buy either these or those. We may go back, but haven't done so yet.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 23rd 2017 at 2:49 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 3:26 pm
Yo

Is there a national American grocery chain, an equivalent to Tesco/Sainsbury's/Waitrose ? I mean aside from Walmart and Aldi.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Is there a national American grocery chain, an equivalent to Tesco/Sainsbury's/Waitrose ? I mean aside from Walmart and Aldi.
... And Whole Foods.

No, not for "regular grocery stores", nothing even close. .... Well maybe Kroger, but Kroger, aside from Kroger-branded stores in some states, has a large number, (maybe a couple of dozen) of "legacy brands", of chains that Kroger bought and continues to operate under the "old" name.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 23rd 2017 at 3:41 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 3:51 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... And Whole Foods.

No, not for "regular grocery stores", nothing even close. .... Well maybe Kroger, but Kroger, aside from Kroger-branded stores in some states, has a large number, (maybe a couple of dozen) of "legacy brands", of chains that Kroger bought and continues to operate under the "old" name.
Have heard of Kroger but don't really know it. Does Safeway still exist? Odd that the US doesn't have the same level of consolidation in the groceries biz.

Maybe Amazon purchase of Whole Foods will shake things up?
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 4:01 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We have H-E-B here in Texas and they are my go-to shop, I have 2 within 2 miles and an H-E-B plus about 8 miles away. I can do a full week shop there no problem. We do have a Kroger but it's an old small one so I only nip in for maybe milk if we are passing. Kroger have a huge site about a mile away that they have put the car park in and the landscaping but it's on hold now as they either have money problems or planning problems depending on who you listen to.

Randall's is part of Safeway but I barely go there, I can't actually put my finger on why I'm not keen, the store is very dark which is quite offputting.

I visit Costco maybe once every two months and question why I have a membership but I do like their lamb shoulder.

Trader Joe's is my equivalent of a Markies shop, I go there for special stuff and treats, not for my main shopping.

Then there is The British Isles shop, we don't need to discuss the carnage that happens there when I shop.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 4:38 pm
Austin. TX.

oh Chocolatebabz, I discovered that another HEB near me makes their tortilla fresh all day. Talk about addictive! I had no idea how nice really, really fresh made ones are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.