Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

Old Jun 3rd 2017, 3:01 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the subject of Aldi... who shops there?

My nearest Aldi is about 50 miles away so I go there for the german christmas goodies and easter eggs. Whilst I'm there, I pick up other goodies, they have an excellent gluten free range (the best GF tortilla wraps I've tried). Their wine selection is meant to be very good but I'm not in there enough to figure them out. This info comes from a wine industry friend in France.
They're meant to be opening a store closer to me soon, I'll go there to shop but again too far for everyday stuff.
I loathe shopping in Walmart. Dingy, badly laid out and poor quality.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 4:45 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Went into Aldi once, didn't find a compelling reason to return, not least because their range is limited (it reminded me of Kwik-Save, with stock stacked on pallets) and it would mean an additional store to visit on top of our usual grocery store. In any case we don't buy a lot of tinned and packet goods, and we can get bread that doesn't taste sweet wherever we shop (I have never understood why y'all seem to think it is hard to find? ) so I don't see much opportunity for us to save by shopping there.

I wouldn't rule out shopping there in future, but it would take time to get used to working out what to buy there.
Aldi in Aus have just started running an ad highlighting this very point. It features a guy trying to choose tinned/bottled tomatoes and the endless shelves of choice. By the end of the ad he's aged about 50 years and still hasn't made a decision. It amuses me, but I'm easily amused.

We do an Aldi shop about once a month to buy things like dishwasher powder and tinned goods. I have recently started entertaining the idea of buying their fresh produce - but only fruit/veggies. I don't know why I can't bring myself to buy their meat - I'm just inherently suspicious of anything that cheap. Or a snob.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 1:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
. I don't know why I can't bring myself to buy their meat - I'm just inherently suspicious of anything that cheap. Or a snob.
This is me. I go in to check out the specials down the middle aisle then wander out with nothing. I look at the meat and nothing appeals. We've got a few in a 15 minute radius, I really should just bite the bullet and try.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to buy in basket amounts and therefore avoid Aldi given that at the check-out I'm usually trapped behind those with trolleys so full that one would think that a world food shortage is imminent.

Last edited by IrishDigger; Jun 4th 2017 at 2:32 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 4th 2017, 3:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nearest one to me is 1,054 miles horizontally.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So not quite local enough for you to be able to stop in for bread and milk when you need it huh?
Old Jun 4th 2017, 5:53 am
Account Closed

Milk seems to be very good?
Old Jun 5th 2017, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

mproudfoot is an unknown quantity at this point

I really didn't like the shopping experience at Aldi or Lidl in the UK but given that grocery shopping at any of the local supermarkets (mainly ACME or Giant Eagle) seems way more expensive than shopping at Waitrose (which I did use regularly back home), I figured I'd give it a shot this weekend. Pretty much the same rushing people through the tills and off to the bagging area experience I hated before, but I could still see myself going for some of the basics (bread, milk, cheese) now and then. A lot of my workmates recommend Costco for meats but I'm slightly loathe to join another of those places, as I tried Sam's Club and hated it - fine I guess if you have a large family to cater for, but as it's just me and wife at home, it was pointless.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 2:05 am
Account Closed

I Belong to Costco, different to Sams which is more business orientated, probably save the fee on gas. My pup likes their Muffins btw.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I buy so much chocolate there they should offer me a share of the company.

Their beer is ok for the price too, and I stress OK.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:31 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

massive expansion plans announced today...

Aldi fires $3.4 billion shot in U.S. supermarket wars | Reuters

Lidl starting up in the USA too.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:51 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Cant see anything special about Aldi's. I rate it okay, prices competitive but that's all. Mind you I live in a place that has more food stores then many other places in this part of the world
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Mine is a lot more local, only 729.08 miles away
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Cant see anything special about Aldi's. I rate it okay, prices competitive but that's all. Mind you I live in a place that has more food stores then many other places in this part of the world
Ambrosia custard with clotted cream is good from Aldi
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I found Coleman's Horseradish Sauce in mine the other day. I was ridiculously excited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.