Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Struggling already with move from UK to SoCal

Struggling already with move from UK to SoCal

Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling already with move from UK to SoCal

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So do I. I *cannot* parallel park!

Rene
I went to law school in San Francisco and owned a VW Type I Bug. So, I learned to parallel park pointing downhill! Bill Cosby's classic "Driving In San Francisco" still makes me laugh. Although the joke about the "Dip" signs is no longer funny given the current condition of the streets due to government budget cuts.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:19 am
Just Joined

UKmummy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here almost a year now in the Northern Virginia/DC area. I'm okay driving around town now, and I've got used to everyone tooting their horns all the time. I still hate the highways though... cars weaving in and out everywhere..... and overtaking on the inside. But I'm definitely more confident on the roads here than I was. It just takes a little time to get used to it.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Yes, for me I came on an L visa you can't get an SSN without getting an EAD first, but I didn't need my SSN to get my driving license though.
Things must have changed since I came here 15 years ago (L2)...I got my SSN the day after I arrived. My daughter (then 11) got hers at the same time. I didn't apply for an EAD but it arrived in the mail a couple of months later.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shining light
We currently live in NE Brazil having moved here nearly 4 yrs ago and boy, was that a culture shock!
Wow!!! Your story makes my situation seem not so bad now

Went into my work to meet everyone today and they seem great. It's a bit awkward but I guess you get that until you settle in.
I also booked a 2 hour driving lesson for tomorrow to brush up on a few things and get a bit more confidence on the road. I don't have a green card, just a J1 Visa/I94 but haven't sorted a SSN yet but it sounds like maybe I won't need that to get my license. I'm sure I'll be fine distinguishing a car from a bag of potatoes so should be all set

My fog of misery is slowly starting to clear.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

shining light is an unknown quantity at this point

Pleased to hear things are looking brighter now Dek.

We were fortunate in that we didn't have to take a driving test here, just the "psycho" written tests..pictures, symbols etc but a speed test too.

Actually getting out license wasn't easy, we had to make 3 or 4 trips to the equivalent of a DMV, spending a total of around 11 hours there, only to be given a piece of paper and told to come back in 6 months.
When we did go back they said "no, not today, the 11th, come back on the 15th, so that was another visit (the 5th now). On the 15th they did have our licenses but wanted us to come back the next day, at which point I had to put my foot down in my best Portugeuse.

Every Govt department seems to be like this, and the Banks too...hopeless and irritating.

We have survived despite everything, and you will too. Although the USA isn't perfect, I know you will be able to get everything organised and before you know it, you will be "living the dream" and wondering why you were ever worried.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Originally Posted by shining light
Moving from you home country to anywhere is always difficult, I actually felt the complete opposite to you.

We currently live in NE Brazil having moved here nearly 4 yrs ago and boy, was that a culture shock!

We had bought a house overlooking the beach which is a 35 minute drive from the city. We arrived with 8 suitcases & a dog.

Language is Portugeuse (we learned a little before arriving but found the local language was very different).

House had no furniture so spent a week in a hotel with dog whilst trying to buy furniture, trying not to pay "Gringo prices" and even more difficult, getting them to deliver it. Even after moving into our house and buying a car, we spent every day for at least the first 3 weeks driving into the city (on the wrong side of the road for a Brit) trying to sort things out and not getting home until after dark. It certainly didn't help that nobody spoke English except the agent who sold us the house.

We didn't have internet for the first 12 months and still don't have a landline. Only chance to contact the UK was when we went into the city.

Services in general are very poor, products expensive (and not usually ood quality) and customer service almost non existent.

Roads are poor, driving standards even worse and in the past many drivers "Bought" their licenses. Have had numerous "close encounters"...my wife won't drive here.

The problems have been endless, I could probably write a book on our experiences.

For us, it was a case of deciding what we were going to do first and working through everything.
I have to ask, if things are that bloody bad, why the hell did you move there & then decide to stay? Especially given the fact that your missus now won't drive?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Originally Posted by dek
Yep I'm going to give those a go. I'm sure I do know most of the theory and as I say, I've been driving in the UK for a long time. It is just a pure confidence thing.
Just remember to stick to 25mph in residential streets, unless you take your test in the Antelope Valley where we have residential streets with 45, 50 & 55mph limits...
Would have scored 100% on my driving test if i hadn't gone *blasting* throught a residential area at 35mph..

When we finished the test she said "they must teach a very high standard of driving in the UK, you're very good"
I then told her I'd only been driving cars for 4 weeks in the US, but had been riding motorcycles in the UK for 15 years...
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RickWG
Just remember to stick to 25mph in residential streets, unless you take your test in the Antelope Valley where we have residential streets with 45, 50 & 55mph limits...
Would have scored 100% on my driving test if i hadn't gone *blasting* throught a residential area at 35mph..

When we finished the test she said "they must teach a very high standard of driving in the UK, you're very good"
I then told her I'd only been driving cars for 4 weeks in the US, but had been riding motorcycles in the UK for 15 years...
Just got back from my 2 hour lesson and she said that I'm ready for the test straight away and doesn't know what I was worrying about
So I just need to learn the theory stuff and get that test out of the way then I'll take the driving test. All Good
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:37 am
Just Joined

cheryl56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Struggling already with move from UK to SoCal

Dek, I have only been a member on this site for less than 24hrs but there is some great advice on here.I have been living in the states since 2002 and the past 6yrs in Las Vegas. I would never drive anywhere first of all because I had read horror stories of the drivers here in Vegas.I'm the opposite of you in that I don't like freeways,especially getting on them,so I use side rds and I find it much better.Just remember the drivers are crazy and impatient and you'll get used to the 4-ways and turning right on a red light.As for your general state of being down,give yourself a pat on the back for having come this far on your own.So many people dream it but don't do it and regret it later. The US takes time to get used to,if I had a penny for everytime I have been asked if I am from England I would be very rich, and people still don't understand my accent at times,just say the word/words they don't understand in a very exaggerated american accent and then they will
Things will get better,just give it time
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cheryl56
Things will get better,just give it time
Thanks cheryl56. Once I'm settled in work and have the driving down I think I'll feel much better. One of the main reasons for me coming here was so that I could get out and about at the weekends and explore the coast so as soon as I get to that stage I'll be happy.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Just remember that pedestrians have right of way when some silly sod walks out in front of you... well, they have right of way if there is a copper about.. I've made a few idiots leap out of the way by leaving my braking so I come to a stop about 6inches from them. I was a London motorcycle despatch rider for 6 years, I know how to treat wayward pedestrians
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

shining light is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi RickWG, just to clarify. I didn't say it was "that bad" only that it was extremely difficult due to the fact it is a completely different culture, language etc etc. but we survivied, as will the OP.

In fact, the weather here is an average 26C all year (hotter in Summer), we have a great house with swimming pool etc less than a 1 minute walk from the beach and as I sit at my computer now writing this note, at 0830 in the morning (wearing a pair a shorts), I can see the Ocean, the beach, a lagoon and the surrounding hills.

We are also in the early stages of building 2 houses next door which will share the same situation/views and which should give us a nice little profit. Maybe we will be able to afford the USA ??
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:15 am
Account Closed

Just re-read this thread that I started a few days after I arrived. Oh how things have changed. I love it here now. I feel like I've been here for years. Driving is now completely natural to me, I don't even think about it. I have my own car and been in a great apartment for about 9 months.

What do I miss? Not much. Bread I guess :-) I probably speak more to family now (with Skype) than I did back in England.

And as the one reply mentioned. I've grown some balls.

Hopefully this thread can serve as comfort to anyone who is as nervous as I was when I first arrived.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:21 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Just re-read this thread that I started a few days after I arrived. Oh how things have changed. I love it here now. I feel like I've been here for years. Driving is now completely natural to me, I don't even think about it. I have my own car and been in a great apartment for about 9 months.

What do I miss? Not much. Bread I guess :-) I probably speak more to family now (with Skype) than I did back in England.

Hopefully this thread can serve as comfort to anyone who is as nervous as I was when I first arrived.
Pleased the balls are now at peace
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek

Excellent. Now that you are happy driving, you can drive on down to the Kings Head in Santa Monica where you can pretend you are still in the UK, completing the journey to becoming a proper ex-pat tosser. Like me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.