Wikiposts

Strange attitude

Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:37 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Strange attitude

this has been bugging me for a few weeks now so I thought i would post about it here to see what you lot think. (Aplogies if i manage to offend anyone - I am trying hard not too but 'racial' issues can be misunderstood too easily).

When I arrived I was surprised by the amount of Spanish speakers and the greater use of spanish language on signs and packets etc. Its not an issue I just hadnt realised it was like this. (last time i saw that kind of thing was when i lived in wales and all the signs were dual language). I have been served in shops a few times by Spanish speakers who have very little grasp of the English language. They look like rabbits caught in the headlights when i talk to them. Yesterday in a large local supermarket I took a loaf of bread to the bakery counter to get it sliced and the woman i asked was so 'servile' I felt like lady muck! She looked terrified and kept her head down and scuttled off with it. She came back with it sliced and also with a box of cookies which she offered some to my kids. So I dont think she was scared of me as she smiled and gave my kids biscuits - BUT she was almost bowing and scraping and i didnt know why. I wondered if it was my accent, my height (im quite tall), or whether this was a normal type of response to a customer? Do american ladies inspire such an attitude in those that dont speak the lingo? Or am I doing something unbeknowingly thats intimidating them. ANy ideas?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange attitude

Originally Posted by MsElui
this has been bugging me for a few weeks now so I thought i would post about it here to see what you lot think. (Aplogies if i manage to offend anyone - I am trying hard not too but 'racial' issues can be misunderstood too easily).

When I arrived I was surprised by the amount of Spanish speakers and the greater use of spanish language on signs and packets etc. Its not an issue I just hadnt realised it was like this. (last time i saw that kind of thing was when i lived in wales and all the signs were dual language). I have been served in shops a few times by Spanish speakers who have very little grasp of the English language. They look like rabbits caught in the headlights when i talk to them. Yesterday in a large local supermarket I took a loaf of bread to the bakery counter to get it sliced and the woman i asked was so 'servile' I felt like lady muck! She looked terrified and kept her head down and scuttled off with it. She came back with it sliced and also with a box of cookies which she offered some to my kids. So I dont think she was scared of me as she smiled and gave my kids biscuits - BUT she was almost bowing and scraping and i didnt know why. I wondered if it was my accent, my height (im quite tall), or whether this was a normal type of response to a customer? Do american ladies inspire such an attitude in those that dont speak the lingo? Or am I doing something unbeknowingly thats intimidating them. ANy ideas?
I can only answer the part about American ladies to say ... never had that experience myself. Could she have very much wanted to ensure that you had a good experience and would come back? Not sure.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:45 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Never experienced it myself. As to cookies, my kids quickly learned that they could get a free cookie from the bakery when they were small

It is a tad disconcerting when everything is en espanol, but one gets used to it. Living in a very hispanic state you learn to go along with the flow.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you were just lucky.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:49 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i dont always get free cookies! Its happened several times in different stores/places. The person just comes across as terrified and servile (best way i can describe it). I always though i was a friendly person - and am polite to people, saying please and thank you (ive worked in shops and bars so I know how I would like to be treated as a member of staff). I just hope im not doing something to upset them or something really.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:23 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

That's definitely out of the ordinary. You've got good mojo apparently Good for you on getting the free cookies.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I saw your pic up early ...you frightened me ....
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I saw your pic up early ...you frightened me ....
Did you feel servile?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did you feel servile?
I certainly did ..I could feel a high heel on my throat ...
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:40 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Mexicans are typically a polite people and quite friendly. There is always the possibility that the incredibly nice person who is serving you is scared of being negatively noticed and the green card issue being raised.
Suppose a broad smile and avoiding eye contact is a natural reaction to not understanding the language?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering, if someone were illegal they might be extra polite. I have, at times, seen some of the Mexican folk seeming a bit servile - as if they expected to be treated badly. Sadly, some here do treat then badly I guess.

Also, if they struggle with the language anyway, an accent might really traumatise them.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In our neighborhood/area there is a large immigrant population (legal and illegal) and seems to be equally divided between Irish and Hispanic. The Irish are arrognant and in your face and while the hispanics tend to be quiet, unassuming and very accommodating.

For example, in a little Irish coffee shop that I frequent, the waitresses and owners are Irish. Most of the waitresses are here illegally. This is known because they are upfront about their status. The busboys are Hispanic. They usually do their work with their heads bent and keep a very low profile. I've made friends with one who is older and quite a lovely man. We talk when I come in and he always goes out of his way to make sure that my table is cleared and I want for nothing. He has been doing this for quite a while. Even before I started slipping him a $20 every once in a while for good service. I have to slip it to him because it is for him alone and not to go into the shared tip pool.

A really funny story was when they first opened up, Jim and I were attending a Insurance Reduction Class at the local Irish Center and at lunch break we went there for a bite to eat. The place was nearly filled and the minute we opened the door and entered, there was no one sitting at any of the booths or tables. One lone girl came to take our order and talked with us a bit and then the rest of the diners returned. Jim is very military with a buzz cut and he assumed that his demeanor shouted "ICE".
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:19 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Keep your fantasies out of this!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:20 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you just have what the movie producers call 'presence.' :-)

My neighbour (the drunken parker) doesn't understand anything I say because the ten words of English he knows are mangled by my accent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.