Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Stopping Smoking: Has anyone tried Chantix?

Wikiposts

Stopping Smoking: Has anyone tried Chantix?

Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:21 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopping Smoking: Has anyone tried Chantix?

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
I am planning to give up smoking next week, has anyone tried the new medication Chantix and did it work???
Good on ya!! I don't have any experience with Chantix as I gave up smoking 10 years ago this coming January... Jan 10 to be exact. I kicked it the old fashioned way - cold turkey..... the ol' (cold) sweat and blood and determination.

As Rete said, everyone's quit is different so hang in there, believe in yourself that you can do it and you shall. Some of the things which nicotine and smoking does is suppresses appetite, affects tastes and your sense of smell so you will notice those 3 things returning. You'll even notice and realize that you were once a filthy ashtray too whenever you come across smokers! Look forward, not back!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:27 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning to give up smoking next week, has anyone tried the new medication Chantix and did it work???
Funny thing that i am on day four of that but its called champix or varenicline here. got to give up smoking on day 7 to 10 felt a bit odd at the beginning due to some issues i had with deroxat (seroxat) i have given up the booze as well that pissing me off more than the smoking part every other ciggy tastes horrible.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:28 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Aw liefie I know you'll make it - it is a disgusting habit, one I gave up when I was 20 after smoking for 10 years
Good for you TT. I just cant take the nagging anymore. Yah yah.. and health and stuff bla…bla.. Please lord…. please make the nagging stop.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Funny thing that i am on day four of that but its called champix or varenicline here. got to give up smoking on day 7 to 10 felt a bit odd at the beginning due to some issues i had with deroxat (seroxat) i have given up the booze as well that pissing me off more than the smoking part every other ciggy tastes horrible.
Are you not supposed to drink on that stuff? If I don’t have some booze while I don’t smoke I will be to irritable to stand being around myself. May have to lock myself in the garage for a few days.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:34 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Are you not supposed to drink on that stuff? If I don’t have some booze while I don’t smoke I will be to irritable to stand being around myself. May have to lock myself in the garage for a few days.
Its best not to drink with any med reduces the effectiveness but as i have found out mix it with head meds you may as well play Russian roulette.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:40 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Aw liefie I know you'll make it - it is a disgusting habit, one I gave up when I was 20 after smoking for 10 years
How come, poppit, that you decided ciggy smoking was a disgusting habit after smoking for ten whole years? Or was it because the pious heavy-handed march of the anti-smoker brigade (ASH & World Health Organisation included) was, and still is, drumming up all manner of legalised yet unfounded death threats to increase their fat cat global profit margins on patches and so forth?

C'mon... I used to work in marketing. And marketing is, my dears, in the trade, bilingual - English and bullshit! ...

Last edited by britex01; Nov 19th 2007 at 8:36 am.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:52 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

That's excellent that you are on your 38th Day...well done...I'm just sort of waiting for my 'quit' day which is this Thursday. Have you been drinking more alcohol - I'm worried I might, as I drink every evening - (two or three glasses of wine) or are you eating more or doing any exercise?...I'm going to start Yoga which I hope will help with stress. It's good to know I'm not the only only that has chose Chantix in the US as I was concerned as in the UK Zyban got a very bad press....which had put me off initially...
You should aim to cut down on drinking or give it up for a while.. I gave up drinking coffee for a few weeks when I gave up smoking and I think that helped (though the lack of caffeine resulted in terrible headaches)..

Someone asked about the gum.. That creates an addiction too, I know somebody that has been chewing nicotine gum for several years, he thinks if he gives it up he'll smoke again..
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by anabella
You should aim to cut down on drinking or give it up for a while.. I gave up drinking coffee for a few weeks when I gave up smoking and I think that helped (though the lack of caffeine resulted in terrible headaches)..

Someone asked about the gum.. That creates an addiction too, I know somebody that has been chewing nicotine gum for several years, he thinks if he gives it up he'll smoke again..
So how is the gum any more addictive than the patch or other meds?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 10:46 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I used the patch, but I think it didn't help much. I think it is about equivalent to 10 cigs a day, and I was a chain smoker. I had three days of hell, then it gradually got easier. The food thing was weird though, my sense of taste came back so strongly that it hurt to eat anything for a while, the first mouthful, anyway, so I lost weight at first.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:04 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
So how is the gum any more addictive than the patch or other meds?
I guess they are all the same.. but I don't want to put the OP off trying if she thinks the meds will help her..

I gave up reading the Allen Carr book, it only tells you the obvious but it really helps, I highly recommend it.. taking any kind of meds is always my last resort..
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
I'd check with your health care provider on this one. Some drugs have special coatings that delay the release of the drug until it reaches a certain area. Some drugs can irritate upper G.I. tracts, or work in unexpected ways, if you remove the coating.

I've only ever heard great news about Chantix.

I have his permission. And the nausea is a common side effect of Chantix, unfortunately.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:42 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about 3 months post quit using Chantix. It worked beautifully for me. No problems whatsoever.

I had quit about 10 years ago (after 20 years of smoking) and then started again about 4 years ago. This time, I knew I wasn't really mentally/emotionally committed to the idea of quitting, so thought I'd try the Chantix to get me over the hump.

Now it's up to me to have the willpower to stay quit.

Sarah
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Jamma72 will become famous soon enough

I like to quit smoking, and i've read the Alan Carr book but unfortunately i cant remember any of it:/

January 1st seems like a good time for me to quit as Chicago has it's ban in public Bars, and i dont fancy standing in the frezzing cold smoking looking stupid
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:29 am

Guess I’ll just have to smoke more weed….
Old Nov 20th 2007, 6:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Sarah.

It's nice having the power to say NOPE to smoke. (not one puff ever)

Chantix is great and you are so right the quit takes place in your mind. If it ain't there, it ain't happening no matter what drugs or NRT you use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.