British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   State Pension value in US $ since Brexit. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/state-pension-value-us-%24-since-brexit-927284/)

MMcD Aug 17th 2019 11:46 pm

Re: State Pension value in US $ since Brexit.

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12724196)
MMc That exchange rate plus Queen Victoria back in charge and a World Map dominated by the red of the British Empire ! THAT was what the Brexit vote was about.

Wow...that was opaque.

It took me awhile to try to work out what (I think you think) you're saying.

Having finally done so (maybe ?) my only comment is:

There are outcomes (favourable as they may seem when viewed in isolation) that are sometimes not worth their ultimate cost.
And that can include a great exchange rate.
e.g. During the American Civil War (1861-1875) the rate apparently spiked to : £1.00 GBP = $10.00 USD
I'll exchange war for peace, currency cost be damned...

Giantaxe Aug 18th 2019 2:41 am

Originally Posted by jopavi73 (Post 12724163)
I have never paid Fed or State taxes but that's of little comfort when the amount keeps declining every 4 weeks!

How did you manage that?

jopavi73 Aug 18th 2019 10:45 am

...since I started receiving my UK pension that is.

Thairetired2016 Aug 18th 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12724084)
It’s the uncertainty that’s weakening the pound rather than Brexit itself. Providing we do actually come out in 31 October it won’t take long for the dust to settle and the rate to rebound.

Live in hope.

Rete Aug 18th 2019 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12724139)
Been years since when? The UK hasn't left yet.

Since the Canadian Dollar exchange rate has risen to equal an US Dollar. Losing 1/3 of your pension hurts financially when you live in the US and collect a CDN pension.

Rete Aug 18th 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12724193)
Hasnt the CAD$ historically always been lower vs the US$.

Granted there was a couple year period during the 2008 recession period and high oil prices where the CAD$ got to par and stayed high for a bit but that does not seem to be the norm.

Not really. When we first married 21 years ago (1998), the Canadian dollar was nearly equal to the US dollar. Now the CAD$ is worth approx 75 cents US.

excpomea Aug 21st 2019 7:59 pm

I receive a couple of military pensions, a war pension and an pension due to being discharged for service related medical reasons.
Since Jan 2019 i'm down about $200 p/m
Not life changing, but at least its not taxed in the UK or here in the States. So can't grumble too much.
Hopefully once they sort this Clusterfk out it will bounce back up to a sensible level.