Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Spending time in America

Spending time in America

Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spending time in America

Originally Posted by blargins
okIt really shouldn't be this hard, eh?
And for the most part, for normal visitors, it's not that hard. They have jobs to get back to, school to get back to, etc. The VWP is for visiting. Most people who want to visit the USA, in general, with no other interest other than visiting, might take a long-ish vacation once every few years, maybe....to see Disneyland, DisneyWorld, etc...the touristy stuff.

The fact of your case is that you have a definite "love interest" in your visits. You're not just a regular ol' visitor....you're coming to visit your girlfriend. Having a USC love interest puts up an automatic red flag to the POE agent. Making frequent visits to see her puts up a flag. Having almost no ties outside the USA puts up yet another red flag. The POE officer starts thinking hmmm...the longer this frequent visiting goes on, the more likely this guy is to just marry the girl and stay in the USA, since he really doesn't have anything to go home for.

So for a regular VWP visitor, who comes to Disney for a few weeks with the kids, it's not hard to visit the USA. But for someone with a definite pattern of visiting an opposite-sex USC love interest, yes...it can get difficult.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did we not go over this already in a previous thread? Recently?
I understand that you're nervous; you probably should be.

You will get more *quality* answers if you include all the information.. what you learned from the last thread, what you are still nervous about etc. Also that your GF is a USC and that you *do* plan on immigrating.

Your question as posed here may not be giving all the information needed for an informed reply for *your use*.

Frankly, your ties outside the US don't look good. And I take umbrage finally at your last statement, like the US is somehow preventing your "free travel". It reads as if you think you should be able to come to the US (or elsewhere) whenever and for however long you like.
Which is not realistic, or owed you.
I'm sorry if I've offended, but my final comment is not aimed specifically at the US, it's more a Utopian ideal I guess, mankind being grown up enough to be able to live in harmony etc.

I realise it's not realistic at present, hence me saying I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime. I didn't mean it as a dig or anything. Guess Europe is a good example of the type of thing I am saying. Freedom of travel and residence, perhaps the world will move to that situation one day in the distant future.

From that last post I had created, the advice given was spot on and when asked on my recent visit at POE, I gave three concise answers to the questions and was let in within a minute of my arrival at POE. So that lesson has been learned there.

Anyway, yes, it will be my intention to emigrate. I have proposed to my girlfriend on my last trip (she said yes) and as soon as we are both divorced (should be around October time), we will begin the procedure.

I do want to do this all by the book and I am trying my hardest to do the right thing in all this, for everyone, my girlfriend, her kids, the US government. And this is also part of the reason for the multiple return trips, to make sure that we are right for each other, to be as certain as we possibly can that this is the right thing for our lives, and for her kids to get used to me and the idea of us being married also.

I've even set up a little spreadsheet with dates inside and outside the US and have now planned dates that show since my first trip, I will have spent 19 weeks inside the US and 29 outside by late Jan next year.

I do not believe I am doing anything wrong, but I am one of these people who feel guilty even when am not. I am desperate to be with my girl and do not want to risk anything that may prevent us from being together.

I want to remain on the right side of the law, but I also want to be with my girl as much as I possibly can.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
I do not believe I am doing anything wrong...
Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong or illegal. You are legally allowed to visit the USA on the VWP for as many times as the POE officers let you in.

I am desperate to be with my girl and do not want to risk anything that may prevent us from being together.
Again, nothing to worry about here, either. Even if you get turned away at the POE, it will not affect a future immigration-type visa based on marriage to a USC.

I want to remain on the right side of the law, but I also want to be with my girl as much as I possibly can.
That's exactly what you're doing right now. You are on the right side of the law, and attempting to be with your girl as much as possible. We are just pointing out there are no guarantees of success, the more you use the VWP, the more scrutiny you'll fall under.

Rene