Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Spending time in America

Spending time in America

Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default Spending time in America

Ok, I went to the States and spent from the 6th Feb to 7 March with my girlfriend.

Then from the 14th May to 7th June, again with my girlfriend.

Now I am planning on going out around for the third time on the 14th July til 14th September.

Is my 3rd visit too close do you think to my second?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spending time in America

Originally Posted by blargins
Ok, I went to the States and spent from the 6th Feb to 7 March with my girlfriend.

Now I am planning on going out around for the third time on the 14th July til 14th September.

It depends. How clingy is she?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

lol Probably as clingy as me.

But it's the POE guys I'm more concerned about...
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:47 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

lol Probably as clingy as me.

But it's the POE guys I'm more concerned about...
Oh don't worry. Those bastards will never call you...
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Ok, I've had an hours sleep in the past 36, perhaps I'm not being very clear (clearly you are having fun though).

Can you (or anyone else) see any reason as to why they might refuse me entry based on my previous visit times and this visit length?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:57 am
Septic Sprout

Ok, I've had an hours sleep in the past 36, perhaps I'm not being very clear (clearly you are having fun though).

Can you (or anyone else) see any reason as to why they might refuse me entry based on my previous visit times and this visit length?
Ok - joshing aside...

The established wisdom on BE seems to be that you spend as much time out as you do in, so - while there are no guarantees - your pattern looks ok by this standard. As always - can't harm to have something that proves ties to the UK just in case, and offer no more info than is asked for at POE.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Great, thanks. I was very honest last time I entered and was only asked two questions in fact which surprised me. Hopefully this time will be as straight forward too.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The general rule of thumb is to spend more time outside the USA in between visits, than you were inside.

Here's your pattern so far:

4 weeks inside USA
9 weeks outside USA
3 weeks inside USA
5 weeks outside the USA
Anticipated 8 weeks inside the USA.

From February to September (6 months), you will have spent 15 weeks in the USA. That's almost half of the whole time.

Only the POE officer knows for sure if you'll be let back in or not. No guarantees. To my layman's eye, it looks like 3 visits within 5 months...which is what I would consider "often". The only way to find out if it will be OK is to show up at the POE.

And, of course, bring proof of your ties back home, in case you're asked. Also, make sure you spend more than 8 weeks outside the USA again after this visit, if you get in. I'd actually spend a lot more than 8 weeks outside, though, just to be safe.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Rene.

Think I might just book to stay for 3 weeks then from July 22nd and then change the return flight back to a later date once there.

After I get back, I'll stay away until Xmas and that way will get enough "time credits" to go back as you suggest.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

onthepunt will become famous soon enoughonthepunt will become famous soon enough

Thanks again Rene.

Think I might just book to stay for 3 weeks then from July 22nd and then change the return flight back to a later date once there.

After I get back, I'll stay away until Xmas and that way will get enough "time credits" to go back as you suggest.
yeah they might be suspicious due to frequent trips that are quite expensive in flight costs alone, lots of time off work and lots of back and forth.. they might suspect you are working over there or something, but assuming you are from the UK you will probably get the benefit of the doubt..
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this will make any difference. Your entry will be approved for either the full 90 days, or 0 days, no matter the return date on your ticket says. Also, if you think ahead, showing an earlier flight but then changing it to a later flight after arrival still will show you inside the USA for 2 months on this visit, at the POE on your next visit. Think ahead.

You're planning to return Sept 14. Christmas is Dec 24. That's only about 3 months outside the USA before trying the VWP again. Of course nothing says you can't do it, but again, you're spending a LOT of time inside the USA lately...just don't be surprised if at some point you get turned away.

And, as onthepunt points out, that's a LOT of time off work for you. Makes the POE agent wonder how you're managing to get so much time off, and how you're funding your trips. Bring lots of proof of your ties back home and your funds.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks for the advice. I actually live in France, but am English.

I don't work and have been living off savings for the past 5 years and will continue to do so.

I've just sold a property in Australia and this will be funding my next couple of visits. So if I bring a statement showing my bank balance I should be ok, alongside other documents proving my residence in France?

The flights haven't been that expensive, about $700, but this next one will be about $1200 thanks to the school holidays. Damned kids!

It really shouldn't be this hard, eh? I long for the day that everyone has freedom of travel in this world. Doubt I'll be alive to see that.

Last edited by blargins; Jun 9th 2010 at 7:51 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:08 pm

So if I bring a statement showing my bank balance I should be ok, alongside other documents proving my residence in France?
The bank balance will show how you're funding your trip(s), but it's a good idea to bring proof of your NEED to return to France (or somewhere outside the USA). Simply having a residence somewhere isn't really a huge commitment....you can make the mortgage payments or rental payments from the USA.

Not trying to discourage you, but just saying be prepared.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, appreciate that, and thanks again Rene, your advice is always gratefully accepted.

Need to think of something that shows that I do intend returning to France, although there really is nothing to keep me here, save the fact I want to stay on the right side of the law and if i were to say I will return to France after, I mean it. But of course, that proves nothing.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Did we not go over this already in a previous thread? Recently?
I understand that you're nervous; you probably should be.

You will get more *quality* answers if you include all the information.. what you learned from the last thread, what you are still nervous about etc. Also that your GF is a USC and that you *do* plan on immigrating.

Your question as posed here may not be giving all the information needed for an informed reply for *your use*.

Frankly, your ties outside the US don't look good. And I take umbrage finally at your last statement, like the US is somehow preventing your "free travel". It reads as if you think you should be able to come to the US (or elsewhere) whenever and for however long you like.
Which is not realistic, or owed you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.