Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Spaceships and astronomy

Spaceships and astronomy

Old Jun 16th 2019, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spaceships and astronomy

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
I think it's something to do with whether the internal angles of triangles add up to 180 degrees. in a flat universe, they do.

Take a sheet of paper. Draw a triangle on it, using straight edges and stuff. The internal angles add up to 180 degrees.

Now wrap that paper around a large toilet roll. The paper seems curved, but the angles of the triangle drawn on it still add up to 180 degrees. It's flat.

Draw a triangle on the surface of a smooth sphere. The internal angles of that triangle will add up to more than 180 degrees. Not flat.

I think that's it.

I could be wrong. I'moften a figment of mu own imagination - never somebody else's...
If you define a square as "a geometric shape with sides of equal length and with internal angles of 90°", then it is possible to draw a five-sided square on the surface of a sphere. Topology is weird.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you define a square as "a geometric shape with sides of equal length and with internal angles of 90°", then it is possible to draw a five-sided square on the surface of a sphere. Topology is weird.
I knew I should have drunk less.

Or more.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 9:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I once won an easter egg from a maths teacher with similar to this. It was a puzzle posed to the class about how the sum of a triangle could be more than 180° . I solved & answered this but said teacher was not pleased at all. I waited long for that flippin' egg and that wretched man thereafter made my life uncomfortable.

Old Jun 17th 2019, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I once won an easter egg from a maths teacher with similar to this. It was a puzzle posed to the class about how the sum of a triangle could be more than 180° . I solved & answered this but said teacher was not pleased at all. I waited long for that flippin' egg and that wretched man thereafter made my life uncomfortable.
That reminds me of the story of the great mathematician (to be) CF Gauss, who, as a child, was told to add all the numbers from 1-100 up - the teacher expecting it to take all lesson. Gauss did it in a couple of minutes, got it right, and explained the method. He wasn't popular either....

Old Jun 17th 2019, 2:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by steveq
That reminds me of the story of the great mathematician (to be) CF Gauss, who, as a child, was told to add all the numbers from 1-100 up - the teacher expecting it to take all lesson. Gauss did it in a couple of minutes, got it right, and explained the method. He wasn't popular either....
I hadn't heard this.

All I know is that bluddy easter egg was not worth the misery that dreadful man put me through for a long time afterward. When it was finally sneeringly & begrudgingly given to me, I gave it away. Shame, as treats like that were very few and far between at home.

Old Jun 17th 2019, 2:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I would have still considered that to be a pentagon, because I always thought a square had to be defined as a quadrilateral, but it appears you're in good company here:

Incidentally, I recommend the numberphile videos and their associated families in physics, computing and other fields to anyone, they're a great watch.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
.... I recommend the numberphile videos and their associated families in physics, computing and other fields to anyone, they're a great watch.
Yes they are!
Old Jun 17th 2019, 2:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are!
Lots of great astronomy content on their associated channel Deep Sky Videos, too.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I was going to sketch this, but the best explanation I've found that I can point you at is Laurence Krauss' book
https://www.amazon.com/Universe-Noth.../dp/1451624468
I have that, better give it a re-read. The high falutin astrophysics makes (some) sense at the time of reading, but then (for me) seems to decay rapidly !
Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

https://time.com/5802128/alexei-leon...wsletter-brief

"They eventually reached solid ground — however, after emerging from the craft they realized, cruelly, they were in a thick forest surrounded by wolves and bears, in a snowstorm."

I doubt if they would've been too unhappy!

Old Mar 25th 2020, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
https://time.com/5802128/alexei-leon...wsletter-brief

"They eventually reached solid ground — however, after emerging from the craft they realized, cruelly, they were in a thick forest surrounded by wolves and bears, in a snowstorm."
I've been to Moscow and seen all the names buried in the Kremlin walls, Sergei Korolev, Yuri Gagarin et al. Reading that article shows just how close they were to Leonov joining them

Last edited by steveq; Mar 25th 2020 at 12:52 am. Reason: Spelling !
Old May 27th 2020, 8:04 pm

Is anyone watching the SpaceX launch? Its live-streaming on YouTube, with a scheduled launch in about 30 minutes.

Old May 27th 2020, 8:20 pm

Aaaaand the launch has been aborted, due to weather.
Old May 27th 2020, 8:26 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone watching the SpaceX launch? Its live-streaming on YouTube, with a scheduled launch in about 30 minutes.
Aaaaand the launch has been aborted, due to weather.
Yes I was
They will try again on Saturday 30 May at 15:22 local time.
Old May 30th 2020, 9:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Saw it today though. Glad it went smoothly this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.