Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Spaceships and astronomy

Spaceships and astronomy

Old Dec 4th 2017, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spaceships and astronomy

Originally Posted by caretaker
That would be the one.
My friend took this outside of his front door, 30 second exposure of the Milky Way with Betelgeuse just right of centre and Orion below.
This was posted by my cousin a few weeks ago. The Milky Way and Andromeda.

He lives in Birmingham so doubly impressive he could find somewhere dark enough.
Attached Thumbnails Spaceships and astronomy-23116848_10213596194874571_8104191445384550782_o.jpg  
Old Mar 28th 2018, 5:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

This is pretty interesting:

Wandering star shook up the prehistoric solar system | Astronomy.com
Old Jan 14th 2019, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So was anyone following the excitement about Ultima-Thule? I find it incredible that (i) we are able to get close up images from an object that is an area that we thought was a mostly empty area until quite recently, and (ii) that we can find something that is less than 20 miles long and take it's picture, and yet we still can't find Planet X, which is hypothetically the size of Neptune! I can only hope that there are provisional plans being prepared to send a probe to investigate it as soon as possible after its existence is confirmed and its location and orbit mapped. Honestly I am much more interested in that than the weird obsession with sending men on a suicide mission to Mars, and I hope that we might have the technology to send a probe that will get there within a few years and which can be slowed enough to be put into orbit around it.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 2:07 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So was anyone following the excitement about Ultima-Thule? I find it incredible that (i) we are able to get close up images from an object that is an area that we thought was a mostly empty area until quite recently, and (ii) that we can find something that is less than 20 miles long and take it's picture, and yet we still can't find Planet X, which is hypothetically the size of Neptune! I can only hope that there are provisional plans being prepared to send a probe to investigate it as soon as possible after its existence is confirmed and its location and orbit mapped. Honestly I am much more interested in that than the weird obsession with sending men on a suicide mission to Mars, and I hope that we might have the technology to send a probe that will get there within a few years and which can be slowed enough to be put into orbit around it.
New Horizon has been a great mission, starting with those pictures of Pluto, the Ultima-Thule pictures were a hell of a bonus as well.

Planet X will be a bit more tricky to locate, because it's likely so far out it will be almost impossible to detect.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

and yet we still can't find Planet X, which is hypothetically the size of Neptune! .
Obligatory Douglas Adams quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Adams

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

Old Jan 14th 2019, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Seen this weekend in Pittsburgh.

Apollo 11 Pittsburgh
Old Jan 14th 2019, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

To Boldly Go...

https://kotaku.com/one-thousand-game...axy-1677603818
Old Jan 14th 2019, 4:59 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Now that's cool. A long way away from the original Elite I had on the Amiga way back when.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 5:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Obligatory Douglas Adams quote:
Originally Oosted by Douglas Adams
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
I can't argue with that, but when we have found thousands of planets around other stars at least as far as hundreds of light years away from us, and imaged stars billions of light years away, it is still hard to believe that it is so hard to find something that is thought to be within 80 light hours of the sun.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 5:29 pm
I have a comma problem

I can't argue with that, but when we have found thousands of planets around other stars at least as far as hundreds of light years away from us, and imaged stars billions of light years away, it is still hard to believe that it is so hard to find something that is thought to be within 80 light hours of the sun.
I have to imagine one of the reasons is that it isn't very reflective, and that in order to discover it, we'll have to pick up an infra-red signature. In order to do that, a telescope will have to happen to be looking at the right part of the sky at the right time.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I have to imagine one of the reasons is that it isn't very reflective, and that in order to discover it, we'll have to pick up an infra-red signature. In order to do that, a telescope will have to happen to be looking at the right part of the sky at the right time.
Agreed. We are looking for a cold rock in a very big, and very cold, area, And I doubt there is much infra red to look for either, anymore than there is much light to look for, which is why mostly what we know about Planet X relates to its gravitational effects.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 5:52 pm
I have a comma problem

Agreed. We are looking for a cold rock in a very big, and very cold, area, And I doubt there is much infra red to look for either, anymore than there is much light to look for, which is why mostly what we know about Planet X relates to its gravitational effects.
There's going to be a lot of guesswork, and then some very fortunate telescope positioning, but it'll be found eventually. Hopefully in our lifetime.

Or maybe Betelgeuse will go supernova (or will have gone 600-odd years ago) and eclipse any other discovery so far this century, pun not intended.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
… Or maybe Betelgeuse will go supernova (or will have gone 600-odd years ago) and eclipse any other discovery so far this century, pun not intended.
That makes me sad, to think that Betelgeuse might have already gone supernova, but I won't live long enough for the light to reach earth.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 6:00 pm
I have a comma problem

That makes me sad, to think that Betelgeuse might have already gone supernova, but I won't live long enough for the light to reach earth.
I'm torn - on one hand it could be probably the most spectacular astronomical event I will see in my lifetime unless I get to see an eclipse before I die, but on the other hand Orion is my favorite constellation and I don't want it to change.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

We might get lucky and develop a Tachyon Telescope tm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.