Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Southern Baptists, dry counties and pick-ups, Oh my!

Southern Baptists, dry counties and pick-ups, Oh my!

Old May 29th 2007, 8:27 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Southern Baptists, dry counties and pick-ups, Oh my!

'Took a trip this weekend from Denver to a small town of 10,000 in the Texas panhandle to visit girlfriend's grandparents and extended family.

I've lived in the South before (Atlanta) which was fairly cosmopolitan but I really have to take my hat off to those of you who live in these little rural communities.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice people, but damn - sorry, dad-gum - they need to loosen up a bit. They have a pathological view of alcohol, and nary a swear word is heard.

I used to be really conservative, but I'm bucking the trend with respect to Churchill's maxim about liberalism and age. I seem to be getting more liberal the older I get.

I visited a Southern Baptist church - I implore you to do the same. It's... bizarre. Singing the national anthem, hearing fire and brimstone preachers who clearly have limited education, substituting the words of God Save the Queen during My Country Tis Of Thee. All the while, these "rafined" folks are smacking gum like it's going out of style.

I did heed the preacher's reminder that this was cowboy country, and admonished us to carry our sword (the Bible) with our gun.

I couldn't live in a town without wine. Sorry. And if you're going to swear, swear for God's sake. Got back last night and got wasted. Home sweet liberal home.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:10 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southern Baptists, dry counties and pick-ups, Oh my!

I think they should turn those pockets of insanity into theme parks. That way we could all visit and share in the hilarity, then go home and reassure ourselves that it couldn't possibly be real.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Sure it wasn't baccy they was a'chewin'?
Old May 29th 2007, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Sure it wasn't baccy they was a'chewin'?
no better
Old May 29th 2007, 9:55 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I love about church in the US is that everyone I know who goes is constantly fundraising to "build a church" for their community. For example in Gainesville we already have 2 poorly attended Methodist churches and yet on the way to work I am bugged by Methodists trying to raise funds for a third one because some of the members of the other two decided they wanted to be in charge I guess and have started a breakaway. Likewise with the Firstbaptist church, a splinter group are trying to raise funds to build a church for themselves. Where I lived in Alabama we had multiple "first" baptist churches in the same area. I guess no one ever thought of starting a "second" baptists church. In England all the churches are about 1000 years old but it seems that in the south as soon as you have more than 3 regulars somebody has to break off and build a new church where they get to be the main bible basher.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:59 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
'Took a trip this weekend from Denver to a small town of 10,000 in the Texas panhandle to visit girlfriend's grandparents and extended family.

I've lived in the South before (Atlanta) which was fairly cosmopolitan but I really have to take my hat off to those of you who live in these little rural communities.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice people, but damn - sorry, dad-gum - they need to loosen up a bit. They have a pathological view of alcohol, and nary a swear word is heard.

I used to be really conservative, but I'm bucking the trend with respect to Churchill's maxim about liberalism and age. I seem to be getting more liberal the older I get.

I visited a Southern Baptist church - I implore you to do the same. It's... bizarre. Singing the national anthem, hearing fire and brimstone preachers who clearly have limited education, substituting the words of God Save the Queen during My Country Tis Of Thee. All the while, these "rafined" folks are smacking gum like it's going out of style.

I did heed the preacher's reminder that this was cowboy country, and admonished us to carry our sword (the Bible) with our gun.

I couldn't live in a town without wine. Sorry. And if you're going to swear, swear for God's sake. Got back last night and got wasted. Home sweet liberal home.

but, did you notice the lack of crime in those rural areas!

i lived in rural georgia. bored the crap out of me but it was safe, crime free and housing was inexpensive. but boring stuck up people. sorry canton towns folk. you just need to loosen up a bit.
Old May 29th 2007, 11:27 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
but, did you notice the lack of crime in those rural areas!

i lived in rural georgia. bored the crap out of me but it was safe, crime free and housing was inexpensive. but boring stuck up people. sorry canton towns folk. you just need to loosen up a bit.
When you say "Crime Free" what you really mean is free of any kind of law enforcement that gave a damn as long as the neferous goings on didnt impinge on their own personal scams.
Old May 29th 2007, 11:31 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
When you say "Crime Free" what you really mean is free of any kind of law enforcement that gave a damn as long as the neferous goings on didnt impinge on their own personal scams.
actually some of those rural areas have gone from brewing illegal moonshine to pharma meth labs! so as usual i'm talking out of my arse!
Old May 29th 2007, 11:34 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
You old cynic you!
Old May 29th 2007, 11:35 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

actually some of those rural areas have gone from brewing illegal moonshine to pharma meth labs!
So my theme park idea would generate much needed jobs and revenue?
Old May 30th 2007, 4:52 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by haggerwood
The thing I love about church in the US is that everyone I know who goes is constantly fundraising to "build a church" for their community. For example in Gainesville we already have 2 poorly attended Methodist churches and yet on the way to work I am bugged by Methodists trying to raise funds for a third one because some of the members of the other two decided they wanted to be in charge I guess and have started a breakaway. Likewise with the Firstbaptist church, a splinter group are trying to raise funds to build a church for themselves. Where I lived in Alabama we had multiple "first" baptist churches in the same area. I guess no one ever thought of starting a "second" baptists church. In England all the churches are about 1000 years old but it seems that in the south as soon as you have more than 3 regulars somebody has to break off and build a new church where they get to be the main bible basher.
OH grew up in Gainsville, so I've been a few times and it's an interesting place. I don't know how you live there though. You're right, you just can't spit without hitting a church.

I can imagine the local law would turn a blind eye as long as you were related to 'em ! Not really the bastion of cultural diverity either. Bit of a shock for me just coming to Texas, never mind GV, after living in London for the last 8 years.

R./
Old May 31st 2007, 11:57 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richardowen
OH grew up in Gainsville, so I've been a few times and it's an interesting place. I don't know how you live there though. You're right, you just can't spit without hitting a church.

I can imagine the local law would turn a blind eye as long as you were related to 'em ! Not really the bastion of cultural diverity either. Bit of a shock for me just coming to Texas, never mind GV, after living in London for the last 8 years.

R./
Ocala (just south of Gainsville) where we used to live is pretty much run by a guy called Judge Fudge...yup thats his name.....and he basically owns the place and everyone in it.. He IS the LAW!
Old May 31st 2007, 4:12 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Boss Hogg. "keeud-keeud-keeud"

Yes, I know that was Roscoe.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Richardowen

R./

gainseville georgia?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:49 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

gainseville georgia?
Think he's referring to FL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.