Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Southern Baptists, dry counties and pick-ups, Oh my!

Southern Baptists, dry counties and pick-ups, Oh my!

Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:26 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Southern Baptists, dry counties and pick-ups, Oh my!

I think he was talking about Gainsville, TX. I worked on their jail extension
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:58 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richardowen
OH grew up in Gainsville, so I've been a few times and it's an interesting place. I don't know how you live there though. You're right, you just can't spit without hitting a church.

I can imagine the local law would turn a blind eye as long as you were related to 'em ! Not really the bastion of cultural diverity either. Bit of a shock for me just coming to Texas, never mind GV, after living in London for the last 8 years.

R./

Fort Myers is the same. A church every few yards down the road in many places. All my neighbours are Baptists, Lutherans, Episcopalians or Roman Catholics. The dealership is owned by Presbeterians, not surprising considering they have a Lowland Scottish name.

I work with 2 born agains but the Jehovah's Witness has quit. That's a pity because it was fun arguing with him from the point of view of a Humanist/Atheist.

Last year I was being driven by one of my suppliers in his 40th birthday present, a Z06 Corvette, at 125mph on a 2-lane "road" off Cowboy Way in Labelle FL. We had a local cop light up behind us, he had followed us turning onto the road. He dated my driver's old receptionist and his father was the driver's attorney. No ticket!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Fort Myers is the same. A church every few yards down the road in many places. All my neighbours are Baptists, Lutherans, Episcopalians or Roman Catholics. The dealership is owned by Presbeterians, not surprising considering they have a Lowland Scottish name.

I work with 2 born agains but the Jehovah's Witness has quit. That's a pity because it was fun arguing with him from the point of view of a Humanist/Atheist.

Last year I was being driven by one of my suppliers in his 40th birthday present, a Z06 Corvette, at 125mph on a 2-lane "road" off Cowboy Way in Labelle FL. We had a local cop light up behind us, he had followed us turning onto the road. He dated my driver's old receptionist and his father was the driver's attorney. No ticket!!!
My best friend lives in Fort Myers. Just reminded of this... her Batist MIL and she ended up arguing over evolution - my friend's response " I BELIEVE I was an amoeba!"
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:03 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I think he was talking about Gainsville, TX. I worked on their jail extension
Correct !