Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Some days it is your day

Wikiposts

Some days it is your day

Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:07 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some days it is your day

There I was sauntering along I-84 at about 15 over the speed limit passing a truck, when some flash git in a Mustang comes right up on my tail flashing his headlights to pass. So I pull over and he roars off down the road, and gets to the State Trooper hiding about a mile further along before me.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some days it is your day

Originally Posted by lansbury
There I was sauntering along I-84 at about 15 over the speed limit passing a truck, when some flash git in a Mustang comes right up on my tail flashing his headlights to pass. So I pull over and he roars off down the road, and gets to the State Trooper hiding about a mile further along before me.
Nice one.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

My partners rule for driving in America is "never be the fastest on the road" as long as we can see someone else going faster we speed

I bet he wished you had been a D1ck about it and not pulled over after that

Cx
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charma1ne
My partners rule for driving in America is "never be the fastest on the road" as long as we can see someone else going faster we speed
Definite bonus if that pace car is out of state and a BMW

If you're up in Maine, you will get dinged with a MA plate, the only one worse is a NY one.

I hardly ever do more than 5 over the limit these days and drive like a right granny, simply can't afford the ticket and they're right on top of you around my area anyway.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Life is good on those days.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I bet he wished you had been a D1ck about it and not pulled over after that

Cx

This does not always work out. If there is 1 Cop shooting a Radar/Laser and sveral chase cars......you're screwed, anyway.

Also, whenever you get in the vicinity of Police Training Academys, you also have to watch your Ps and Qs. At Illinois' Academy, at Springfield, you can often find such a gathering near the on ramp at MM 82, on I-55.

Jim.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
This does not always work out. If there is 1 Cop shooting a Radar/Laser and sveral chase cars......you're screwed, anyway.

Also, whenever you get in the vicinity of Police Training Academys, you also have to watch your Ps and Qs. At Illinois' Academy, at Springfield, you can often find such a gathering near the on ramp at MM 82, on I-55.

Jim.
There is never a 100% safe way to speed lol! It has its risks but what can I say I must a rebel :P
I will remember what you said about the police academy though as that is a very good and valid point!

Cx
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

There is never a 100% safe way to speed lol! It has its risks but what can I say I must a rebel :P
I will remember what you said about the police academy though as that is a very good and valid point!

Cx
Illinois has a group of State Patrol Motorcycle Cops who travel throughout the State "Blitzing" problem areas. They will stay in Hotels and conduct "Projects" nearby.

Had the pleasure of staying with them, in Collinsville, one night and got chatting about our mutual jobs etc.

Jim.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:10 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I worked on a job with an outfit in Maine. At one meeting, they said they might be losing one of their managers, a British expat, for a while, he had a few drinks, and, speeding home, passed a police car that was in pursuit of another car.

At the next meeting, he was there, only a fine and "training" but an assistant manager, speeding and feeling safe on the US route instead of the Interstate, came over a hill and saw the police car, slowed immediately but they flagged him anyway. He said "You couldn't have timed me, "I saw you from the top of the hill". They just grinned and pointed up at the bear-in-the-air.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
He said "You couldn't have timed me, "I saw you from the top of the hill". They just grinned and pointed up at the bear-in-the-air.
Pigs will fly.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Pigs will fly.
They do that a lot in NH too, and the cop cars are brown and hide in the ditch before pulling out after you.

The cheeky one in Maine is on I-95/295 exit, because most exits have those yellow, recommended speed signs, but that one is a white, actual speed limit so it drops from 65 to 30 right on the exit and come beginning/end of the month, they can be lined 5-10 cop cars around the curve, pulling people over.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
We live in the same town as the CHP Academy. You always know when it's the end of term, our little town just teems with patrol cars. Pretty safe little town generally.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:06 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! I've been very lucky here. Had exactly the same thing happen to me on a trip to New Orleans, only the cop wasn't a mile up the road, I was passing a dodgy truck who was making me nervous as he was all over the road, this jackass came flying up behind me (I think I was at 75 in a 60 off the top of my head) flashing me, I pass the truck just before a bridge pull in to let him by, he flys past under the bridge and there was a cop car hidden there waiting...

He slowed right down and cut me up, pulling right in front of me, hoping I guess that the cop would take the back car and pull me over, nope...

I may have been doing 60 in a 40 the other day too (12.30 at night, empty road after soccer game), a state trooper was parked in a central turning lane, didn't see him until it was too late (didn't even bother braking just eased off the gas - it was too late to do anything about it, and I sometimes wonder if they wait to see how you react when you see them), lights and siren came on, oh $hit, then he just sits there and turns them back off after 5 secs. I'll take my warning thank you kind sir (needless to say I did slow down)! Faith in the police, restored!