Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Social Security Card

Social Security Card

Old Jun 9th 2019, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security Card

I am starting a new job soon, which I am excited for. They require document checks, and one of them I have to bring is my SSN card and make sure my details are obviously correct on all the forms I have filled out for the new job.

My SSN Card card says 'Valid for work with DHS authorization', or something along those lines on it. So obviously this suggest a restricted SSN, even though I have my green card. Do I need to visit the SS administration office about this, or is it okay to show my new workplace my current SSN card and produce my green card to prove I am legal and a citizen of the USA, and therefore I can work?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old Jun 9th 2019, 3:23 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Card

Go to the SS administration office with your old card and green card. They will photo copy your green card and arrange for a new SSN card without the legend to be sent to you. I think it took about a week for the new card to arrive for us, you get to keep the old card with the legend.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 4:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in the US with an immediate permanent resident/ green card status, and about two weeks later was issued with a SS card that was printed with the restrictions that it was only valid for work with authorization. I do not know why, and it didn't occur to me at that time that the restrictions might not be applicable.

I would be very interested to know, for no other reason than personal curiosity as I am now a US citizen, whether someone with a green card can get an "unrestricted" SS card.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would be very interested to know, for no other reason than personal curiosity as I am now a US citizen, whether someone with a green card can get an "unrestricted" SS card.
Yes you can, LPR's should be issued an unrestricted card - they must have made a mistake when you got yours.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
Yes you can, LPR's should be issued an unrestricted card - they must have made a mistake when you got yours.
Correct. I had mine changed upon adjustment of status.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was unrestricted also.

In fact, when I went to the SSA this Friday to inform them I was now a USC, she made a big song and dance that my 'new' card would not have the restrictions written on it.

When I pointed out (and showed her) that my current card didn't have any either, it deflated her a little. They're still sending me a replacement, for some reason.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that might be the case - which is weird because my green card also had errors, two of them, material ones - my surname was changed, to another word, like Jones changed to Bones, and they changed my nationality to Irish!
Old Jun 9th 2019, 6:33 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Deleted by koop. Duplicate

Last edited by dc koop; Jun 9th 2019 at 6:40 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 6:37 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

My certificate of citizenship has my height at 5 ft 3 inches when in fact it's five ten. It was a warm day when the photo for the certificate was taken and I was perspiring somewhat. So now I appear on the certificate as a sweaty faced dwarf. Something for my distant descendants to ponder over.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I arrived in the US with an immediate permanent resident/ green card status, and about two weeks later was issued with a SS card that was printed with the restrictions that it was only valid for work with authorization. I do not know why, and it didn't occur to me at that time that the restrictions might not be applicable.

It is the very first thing we tell new PR's to do with their old social security cards. Go to the office with your green card and have a new card/same number issued without the legend.

Maste need only show the new employer his green card and his social security card. There is no harm or foul in that. A new employer might not want to wait a week to 10 days before solidifying his employment.

Of course, the top paragraph doesn't apply if he is indeed a US Citizen. If so, he should not still have a green card on him.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 9th 2019 at 8:17 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
I am starting a new job soon, which I am excited for. They require document checks, and one of them I have to bring is my SSN card and make sure my details are obviously correct on all the forms I have filled out for the new job.

My SSN Card card says 'Valid for work with DHS authorization', or something along those lines on it. So obviously this suggest a restricted SSN, even though I have my green card. Do I need to visit the SS administration office about this, or is it okay to show my new workplace my current SSN card and produce my green card to prove I am legal and a citizen of the USA, and therefore I can work?

Thanks in advance guys!
When did you become a US Citizen.

Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

It may also depend on when your card was issued. I got mine a long time ago; it was unrestricted and I wasn't an LPR.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
When did you become a US Citizen.
Sorry, will fix that, meant Permanent Resident!

Edit: Can't edit original post but I was tired this morning and didn't think about what I was writing. Apologies, but I did mean PR!
Old Jun 9th 2019, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
It is the very first thing we tell new PR's to do with their old social security cards. Go to the office with your green card and have a new card .....
I was a new PR when my first SS card was issued, with restrictions. ..... I was on a CR-1.

It was one of threads last year that you and Ian had posted on with that advice, that finally prompted me to a schedule an appointment to get my card updated/ corrected, 12 years after I became a US citizen!
Old Jun 9th 2019, 11:43 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Mine was unrestricted also.

In fact, when I went to the SSA this Friday to inform them I was now a USC, she made a big song and dance that my 'new' card would not have the restrictions written on it.

When I pointed out (and showed her) that my current card didn't have any either, it deflated her a little. They're still sending me a replacement, for some reason.
This was exactly my experience, including them insisting I needed a new (identical) card. Now I have a spare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.