Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

So, what have I missed?

So, what have I missed?

Old Feb 8th 2019, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, what have I missed?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
OK, now that sounds pretty cool. You're right that oak isn't common but I just did a search on oak bodied guitars and apparently it makes for a pretty good sound. ….t.
I have seen a lot of opinions that say the opposite, but in any case I am in the "tone-wood is bunk" camp, preferring to believe that the strings and pickups create 99.9% of the sound an electric guitar makes, which in turn is less than half the sound the listener hears after it has been through the amplifier and speaker, not to mention any pedals. So, as long as the body and neck are rigid enough to support the strings under tension and keep them in tune, I am sure everything will be OK.

So far as weight/ density goes, I just checked and oak is actually a bit heavier than most mahogany (around 750kg/m3 v 650Kg/m3 for mahogany), especially mahogany from Central America. Spanish and some African mahogany is denser than oak

I am thinking of easing into the oak guitar project with some sort of pinecaster using true-dimension 2" pine boards I had sawn a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 3:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have seen a lot of opinions that say the opposite, but in any case I am in the "tone-wood is bunk" camp, preferring to believe that the strings and pickups create 99.9% of the sound an electric guitar makes, which in turn is less than half the sound the listener hears after it has been through the amplifier and speaker, not to mention any pedals. So, as long as the body and neck are rigid enough to support the strings under tension and keep them in tune, I am sure everything will be OK.

So far as weight/ density goes, I just checked and oak is actually a bit heavier than most mahogany (around 750kg/m3 v 650Kg/m3 for mahogany), especially mahogany from Central America. Spanish and some African mahogany is denser than oak

I am thinking of easing into the oak guitar project with some sort of pinecaster using true-dimension 2" pine boards I had sawn a couple of years ago.
I'm in the same camp regarding tonewood, at least for electric guitars anyway, so I would tend to think that the density of oak should mean lots of nice sustain. When you get into acoustic guitars, it starts to make a difference but an electric with half decent pickups plugged into a good amp should sound good whatever wood is used.

Not a bad idea to test the process with a different wood first, of course.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 4:43 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Nice to see you back again, you've been missed

Are you enjoying the new house, even though the move has been extra work?
Yeah.. It's nice. Perfect setup for Mrs. N. and the horse. Feeling a bit of pressure to get all the fencing sorted out.. The rest of it can wait though. Its all perfectly livable... Just not to my taste. Or possibly anyone's.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 5:58 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Yeah.. It's nice. Perfect setup for Mrs. N. and the horse. Feeling a bit of pressure to get all the fencing sorted out.. The rest of it can wait though. Its all perfectly livable... Just not to my taste. Or possibly anyone's.
Need a biscuit to see you through it?
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

Oh god.. Yes please.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Who wouldn't like a nice biscuit and gravy.

Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:27 pm

Who wouldn't like a nice biscuit and gravy.

Whilst delicious, that is not a sodding biscuit.

As you well know.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:36 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

As you well know.
Hobnob?
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:38 pm

As you well know.
Can I introduce you to the "You know when you've been living in the US too long when …" thread.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 8th 2019 at 6:41 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:43 pm

Hobnob?
I remember them well, and when they were launched, first in Scotland and then heavily promoted nationally a year later.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 10:33 pm

Hobnob?
Fight the good fight.
Old Feb 9th 2019, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Purple walls? White shag carpet? Dark wood wall panels?? Of course you can live with it
Old Feb 11th 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Purple walls? White shag carpet? Dark wood wall panels?? Of course you can live with it
(Dark) green walls, Dark green (patterned) carpets, "Gold" fixtures. Think 1980s pub lounge..
Old Feb 11th 2019, 12:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

(Dark) green walls, Dark green (patterned) carpets, "Gold" fixtures. Think 1980s pub lounge..
London pubs had that gold thing going on, but the colour scheme was dark, dirty red.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
London pubs had that gold thing going on, but the colour scheme was dark, dirty red.
Yeah.. I think it followed the colour of the busses... Dark, dirty red in London... Piss stained green in Bristol... Puked on yellow in Bournemouth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.